D&D General What devil would most want to make trouble in the Radiant Citadel?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A player in my upcoming Radiant Citadel campaign made an off-hand comment that I, as DM, am now running with.

I want an NPC who will be sowing trouble for the Concord Worlds and Radiant Citadel, specifically by facilitating smuggling guns (maybe gunpowder, maybe magitech) from San Citlan into Akharin Sangar, to help overthrow the rule of the somewhat oppressive celestial Atash. When all of this comes out, of course, it could also destabilize politics on the Radiant Citadel, maybe even leading to one or more Concord Worlds breaking contact with the citadel as a result.

The NPC will be talking a good game about supporting freedom fighters and tolerance, but they'll be actually doing the bidding of an infernal patron. So, I ask, devil experts, which named devil from the Great Wheel would be most likely to be behind such shenanigans?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Maybe Zariel. As a fallen angel, she could be interested in overthrowing an oppressive angel. Hold them up as an example of angels being oppressive and use it as a recruiting method for cultists/people interested in selling their souls.

Bel is currently in charge of Avernus's industry, building infernal war machines and magic items from infernal iron, so maybe he could be the one supplying/producing the firearms. Maybe they could be made out of infernal iron and use soul silts instead of gunpowder.

Dispater could also work. He uses intrigue and manipulation a lot. I'm not as familiar with him, though, so that's about all I've got.

Stormonu

Legend
Just googled it. Well... that's gross and disrespectful.
Not uncommon for demons/devils in stories to suborn the names of good folk (angels) to ruin them.

Anyways, I would think that a yugoloth would be more inclined to be causing trouble - maybe an Arcanaloth, such as Shameska the Marauder.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
A player in my upcoming Radiant Citadel campaign made an off-hand comment that I, as DM, am now running with.

I want an NPC who will be sowing trouble for the Concord Worlds and Radiant Citadel, specifically by facilitating smuggling guns (maybe gunpowder, maybe magitech) from San Citlan into Akharin Sangar, to help overthrow the rule of the somewhat oppressive celestial Atash. When all of this comes out, of course, it could also destabilize politics on the Radiant Citadel, maybe even leading to one or more Concord Worlds breaking contact with the citadel as a result.

The NPC will be talking a good game about supporting freedom fighters and tolerance, but they'll be actually doing the bidding of an infernal patron. So, I ask, devil experts, which named devil from the Great Wheel would be most likely to be behind such shenanigans?
a very useful soul might be one or an artefact that could turn the tide of the blood war or the soul that got away from its master in some attempt to get promoted.
remember hustle culture is the only culture of the 9 hells

nevin

Hero

have fun with it. Maybe the Devil is actually working against a Demon Lord. Imagine the fun when the devil starts telling his or her patron to help paladins or the like.....Keep em guessing what the hell (lol) is going on.

Remove ads