D&D General What devil would most want to make trouble in the Radiant Citadel?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Does it need to be a Devil or could a Demon Lord work? Pazuzu is an obvious choice since he already ties into the San Citlan adventure
I don't think of demons typically being subtle enough* to work towards breaking up a would-be utopia through political in-fighting, which is what pitting two of the Concord Worlds against one another could potentially do, but you're right that there's already a demon involved in San Citlan. Good thought.

(* Graz'zt is also pretty subtle, when he's got his pants on and is thinking clearly, so he's another good possibility.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Raphael is one of the three angels canonically named in Scripture and venerated by the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. (He's in the book of Tobit, which many other Christians and Jews reject as non-canonical. Said book is also where you find Asmodeus.)
I was raised Catholic and "Raphael" popping up in BG3 raised my eyebrows, but the character is clearly not a fallen archangel and the game doesn't even imply it. I suspect the Larian folks either didn't know the origins of the name or thought that the mid-level devil in the game wouldn't be confused with the Biblical archangel.

If it helps, I think you eventually kick the false Raphael's butt in BG3. (I'm still slowly finishing up Act I of the game, myself.)

Quickleaf

Legend
This is a deep cut from Paizo's Dragon 313 (2003): Dungeons & Dragons - A Guide to the Ethereal Plane
Thousands of years ago when the elven civil war led to the fall of the drow, the ghost elves were elves who remained neutral in the conflict. The drow fled to the underdark, then came back and wiped out most of the ghost elves.

An "alien entity" called Thule appeared and offered to save the last of the ghost elves in exchange for their service. The ghost elves signed a contract with Thule, only to discover he was a pit fiend. He took them to Hell and did all sorts of terrible things to them.

He ultimately made the ghost elves into soldiers for the Blood War, which made them into great warriors. The ghost elves eventually killed the pit fiend and fled to the Ethereal Plane.

Now they live in the Ethereal plane and make war with devils.
Maybe some of the ghost elves inhabit or are emissaries to the Radiant Citadel? And Thule wants to take it over to crush their spirits and use it as staging ground for training his new army?

I was raised Catholic and "Raphael" popping up in BG3 raised my eyebrows, but the character is clearly not a fallen archangel and the game doesn't even imply it. I suspect the Larian folks either didn't know the origins of the name or thought that the mid-level devil in the game wouldn't be confused with the Biblical archangel.

Yeah, it could have just been ignorance, rather than malice. That said, "God has healed" is an odd name for a devil.

A player in my upcoming Radiant Citadel campaign made an off-hand comment that I, as DM, am now running with.

I want an NPC who will be sowing trouble for the Concord Worlds and Radiant Citadel, specifically by facilitating smuggling guns (maybe gunpowder, maybe magitech) from San Citlan into Akharin Sangar, to help overthrow the rule of the somewhat oppressive celestial Atash. When all of this comes out, of course, it could also destabilize politics on the Radiant Citadel, maybe even leading to one or more Concord Worlds breaking contact with the citadel as a result.

The NPC will be talking a good game about supporting freedom fighters and tolerance, but they'll be actually doing the bidding of an infernal patron. So, I ask, devil experts, which named devil from the Great Wheel would be most likely to be behind such shenanigans?

Beliel and his Daughter.

Remove ads