D&D 5E What direction do you want to see D&D 5e go?

Nellisir

Hero
You recall how in 4E PHB3 and the Essentials line moved away from the more unified ADEU structure of the first two PHBs, yes?
Nope. I stopped playing for about 5 years. Tried 4e, wasn't for me, sold my books. Nothing against it.

Edit: I had to look up ADEU. Assistance Dogs of the European Union? That seems a bit...niche. (nothing against assistance dogs or their handlers; it's a geography thing.)
Oh...wait, At(-will), Daily, Encounter, Utility(?).

Last edited:

Grimstaff

Explorer
While I'd rather not see a splat book for a long time, I'm sure one's inevitable, I just hope that instead of a looney menagerie of new classes and races they expand on the current races and classes with more subraces and class options. Fighters, for example, could support a whole pack of subclasses (merchants, gladiators, knights, etc) to add options without worrying so much about unbalancing the game.

And backgrounds. Loads of backgrounds. Those are great, one of my favorite parts of the new edition.

While I'd like to see some campaign setting re-released, I'd like to see them in more table-friendly forms. For one, hexmaps are great for table use (I'm hoping the map in the Starter Set is a preview of things to come). And instead of huge DM-oriented campaign setting materials, I'd like to see a line of player-oriented releases. A player's guide to the Realms, etc, would be great at getting the whole group on the same page about the world they're traveling in.

Thirdly, and by no means least, I'd love to see a line of "big book of adventures", maybe one book for each of the four Tiers of Adventure, each book containing a variety of say 6-10 adventures. As a DM, this would be a great resource for a "design-your-own adventure path".

I ask myself if WotC pays attention to this kind of thread. While I see general opinions here going in the same direction as my own (we see the game at reasonable depth, now we want it to go wide), what I expect to really happen is complete warrior/arcane/divine/scoundrel all over again. Hope I'm wrong.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I ask myself if WotC pays attention to this kind of thread. While I see general opinions here going in the same direction as my own (we see the game at reasonable depth, now we want it to go wide), what I expect to really happen is complete warrior/arcane/divine/scoundrel all over again. Hope I'm wrong.

There is a thread here that linked to this, but [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] talks about your concerns in this Escapist interview. He says (paraphrasing) they have good data the splatbook treadmill is bad for the game, and he thinks it'll take about a year for people to start to believe they really are cutting back.

Thaumaturge.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
What about the module for tactical rules and the module for narrative rules? I remember that being a major discussion point before, but did those concepts get vacuumed into the DMG?

Chaltab

Explorer
Nope. I stopped playing for about 5 years. Tried 4e, wasn't for me, sold my books. Nothing against it.

Edit: I had to look up ADEU. Assistance Dogs of the European Union? That seems a bit...niche. (nothing against assistance dogs or their handlers; it's a geography thing.)
Oh...wait, At(-will), Daily, Encounter, Utility(?).
Even so you can still get what I'm saying right? I'm not asking for all the PHB classes to be completely rebuilt--rebalanced, perhaps, but the core structure is okay. I just want to see future classes mix it up.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
There is a thread here that linked to this, but @mearls talks about your concerns in this Escapist interview. He says (paraphrasing) they have good data the splatbook treadmill is bad for the game, and he thinks it'll take about a year for people to start to believe they really are cutting back.

This pleases me; I wouldn't mind seeing the odd new class, but very different things, like Psion and Incarnate.

Though, I have done a Factotum, Hexblade, Jester and Spirit Shaman conversion already!

Nellisir

Hero
Even so you can still get what I'm saying right? I'm not asking for all the PHB classes to be completely rebuilt--rebalanced, perhaps, but the core structure is okay. I just want to see future classes mix it up.

Sort of. I think you want new classes to not just be reskinned versions of existing classes, but something that pushes the boundaries a bit more. Or something like that. Good enough for me. :)

neonagash

First Post
I'd like to see psions and setting books for sure but If I had to pick just one thing it would be loads of short ( 1 or 2 sessons) adventures of different levels that are generic enough for me to pick up and quickly modify to fit my campaign/story when its been a busy week or the players went off on some crazy tangent.

I really dont have too much use for tightly written adventure paths.

Remove ads