What do I need to know for my first AL game?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
So, I'm going to PAX Unplugged in two weeks, which looks to have a large number of AL events on the schedule. I decided I'd take the plunge and try an AL game for the first time. I've done some research, and done the following.

-Reviewed all the season 7 documentation from DM's Guild. Player's Guide, FAQ, ToA specific information, etc.
-Signed up for a DCI number.
-Printed out the log sheet.
-Made up a few 1st level characters, using the PHB+1 rule. (I'll probably make up a few more when I get XGtE.)

Beyond that, do I just have my characters ready and show up? Obviously, I'll bring dice, a character mini, the character sheet, reference books needed, etc. Is there anything else I need to do to be a productive, useful player? (Showering, general grooming, and deodorant use can be assumed, despite con stereotypes.) :)

rczarnec

Explorer
I think that you have more than covered what you need for your first AL game.

This is the first Unplugged, so I have no idea what the line situation will be. At other PAX events it can be useful to bring something to do while in line for popular events.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
So, I'm going to PAX Unplugged in two weeks, which looks to have a large number of AL events on the schedule. I decided I'd take the plunge and try an AL game for the first time. I've done some research, and done the following.

-Reviewed all the season 7 documentation from DM's Guild. Player's Guide, FAQ, ToA specific information, etc.
-Signed up for a DCI number.
-Printed out the log sheet.
-Made up a few 1st level characters, using the PHB+1 rule. (I'll probably make up a few more when I get XGtE.)

Beyond that, do I just have my characters ready and show up? Obviously, I'll bring dice, a character mini, the character sheet, reference books needed, etc. Is there anything else I need to do to be a productive, useful player? (Showering, general grooming, and deodorant use can be assumed, despite con stereotypes.) :)

Buy a healer's kit with your starting money if at all possible. It lets you auto-stabilize someone without making a check for one charge off the kit.
Given that you will be playing Season 7 with the Death Curse, and a lot of people will probably be doing Meat Grinder mode, it could come in very useful.

Be ready for the various personalities you are likely to meet in an Organized Play setting:

The person who has already played the module several times on different characters and is either trying to be super efficient on this play through or just messing around because they don't care about this character.

The newb who has never played 5e before and doesn't know how any of their characters abilities work or what their spells can do (if they have any).

The guy who has played way too much AL and tries to "help" everyone else by telling them how to play their characters.

The guy who DM's too much and finally has a chance to play - and has a character tricked out with DM awarded magic items who will proceed to crush the mod and the DM's spirits...

Plus all the people who are just fun to play with (and any of the previously mentioned types can still fall into this category).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Buy a healer's kit with your starting money if at all possible. It lets you auto-stabilize someone without making a check for one charge off the kit.
Given that you will be playing Season 7 with the Death Curse, and a lot of people will probably be doing Meat Grinder mode, it could come in very useful.

Be ready for the various personalities you are likely to meet in an Organized Play setting:

The person who has already played the module several times on different characters and is either trying to be super efficient on this play through or just messing around because they don't care about this character.

The newb who has never played 5e before and doesn't know how any of their characters abilities work or what their spells can do (if they have any).

The guy who has played way too much AL and tries to "help" everyone else by telling them how to play their characters.

The guy who DM's too much and finally has a chance to play - and has a character tricked out with DM awarded magic items who will proceed to crush the mod and the DM's spirits...

Plus all the people who are just fun to play with (and any of the previously mentioned types can still fall into this category).
That's really helpful, thanks!

Are there any character types that tend to be less represented in AL play?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
That's really helpful, thanks!

Are there any character types that tend to be less represented in AL play?

There tends to be a shortage of support types (clerics, bards, rogues) and an overabundance of fighters, barbarians, and paladins. Monks and druids tend to be somewhat less common as well.

But that's just a general tendency. It's entirely possible to end up at a table with 3 clerics or 3 rogues. But most experienced AL players will have multiple characters and can switch to another one to help "balance" the party.

lonelynoose

First Post
There tends to be a shortage of support types (clerics, bards, rogues) and an overabundance of fighters, barbarians, and paladins. Monks and druids tend to be somewhat less common as well.

But that's just a general tendency. It's entirely possible to end up at a table with 3 clerics or 3 rogues. But most experienced AL players will have multiple characters and can switch to another one to help "balance" the party.

THIS. Bring a bunch of characters to help balance the group. Those of us not playing EdgeLords or a$$hole fighters/barbarians will greatly appreciate it. I mainly play support style characters and have been stuck at inbalanced tables many times. Basically too many fighters/barbarians or too many warlocks. If only we had a rogue or a cleric. :sigh:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The more things stay the same, the more they don't change...

...no, that's not quite right...

...but, that does sound like every pick-up game, ever. ;)

aco175

Legend
I'm going to be going to a convention myself with some of the people in my normal group. It is the first time in over 10 years and all of us never played AL before. I see where I should make a few 1st level PCs and register myself and my son, and most likely my father since he cannot use email or "that Google machine" as he calls it. My question is if I can just print out a few pregens from the sites I have seen and show up with them? What about printing out ones that are higher levels so I can play in tier-2 events?

Last time I played in a Convention each event had PCs that they handed out at the start and you got to play something different every 4 hours. Now it seems like I need to do more work just to show up, or I can look at it like, how cool that I can keep the same PC and get to level him up. I guess I'm asking if it is worth it it all to just go and play at a convention. There appears to be only one or two 5e games not AL being offered. Thank you

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases