what do you call the son of a duke?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
sure there is more to this:

"The idea that a duke is a royal title, however, is strong in Germany, perhaps stronger than it ever was in Britain, where all the children of the head of some ruling houses are automatically a Herzog or Herzogin, much as imperial offspring were archdukes or archduchesses."

Link goes here: http://www.heraldica.org/topics/odegard/titlefaq.htm

Last edited:

Samothdm

First Post
A baronet is a separate title and not automatically awarded to the son of a baron (at least, AFAIK). There's a section about barons and baronets at the bottom of the same page that Hand of Evil linked for you.

The Shaman

First Post
Samothdm said:
A baronet is a separate title and not automatically awarded to the son of a baron (at least, AFAIK).
I believe you're right, Samothdm.

Of course, if it was, then you could call the son of a duke a dukie...

;)

Imperialus

Explorer
For the most part I belive that any son of a baron, duke ect irrigardless of wether or not he stood in direct line to inherit was typically called either Lord or Sir. They wouldn't actually inherit a specific title untill pappy kicked it.

IE: Lord Byron was the son of a Baron

Last edited:

Amaroq

Community Supporter
I can address the British peerage system; others may vary.

The basic concept is called a 'Courtesy Title'.

A peer of the rank of Earl, Marquess, or Duke frequently has secondary (lesser) titles; for example, one could be the Duke of A and also the Earl of B and Viscount of C. Typically, the eldest son is granted the 'courtesy title' of address by one of the lesser titles; the eldest son of the eldest son might be granted the next 'courtesy title'. In our example, then, we'd have the Duke of A, his eldest son would be the Earl of B, and the eldest grandson might be addressed as the Viscount of C.

All other sons, daughters, grandsons, or granddaughters of the peer would receive the courtesy title 'Lord' or 'Lady', so, for example the youngest son of our Duke above would by called 'Lord'. This title would also apply to the eldest son of a peer with only a single title (as in the case of Lord Byron.)

In conversation, 'the dukal heir' is correct, but it is not a formal title.

Last edited:

Remove ads