• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What do you like to see in the Dungeon Master's Guide?

halfling rogue

Explorer
I'm always a fan of worldbuilding stuff. The "Roll your own dungeon" from 1e DMG is freakin awesome. I wouldn't say they should repeat that, but something along those lines would be pretty cool. Lot's of tables for worldbuilding/geography/towns/landscapes/and dungeons. Maybe it's asking too much, but I think it would be awesome to be able to build at least an entire region from dungeons, to towns/cities, to environments, etc all from rolling via tables. One could argue that you could just pull that stuff from older books, but if you're new to D&D and pick up the new DMG, how much would that fuel your imagination!?

gweinel

Explorer
Why would this be in the DMG?

Mearls stated indirectly that these features will not included in there.

In DMG there are some more complicated -advanced - and some optional rules. I thought that the summonings and the animal companions although they are fun to play, bring more complications to the gaming table which slow down the game.

dream66_

First Post
Olaf, It's been stated that there will be a variant rule listed in the DMG about THAC0, and a more intense grid-based combat like 4e will be there as well... so your wish should be granted, from the looks of it.

For domains, I only know that Death will be released (along with Oathbreaker paladins, Warforged, Kender, ideas for how to create worlds like Dragonlance, etc).

I really think that if someone feels THAC0 or grid combat will make the game feel like 2e or 4e I think they missed the point of those editions.

For 2e more flexablity, more DM control, and more stuff that's just wild and has rules that don't match up with other.

For 4e it needs Set class roles defender striker leader controller, class features that enforce those roles.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I honestly cannot think of a single reason where bringing back THAC0 would actually improve the game experience.

Damon.

I dunno either. My entire group is deliriously happy with 5e, and beyond a couple of "Duh." house rules, we're playing it as is, and its amazing. Having run 2e for years, two of my players love it, and I love it because its easy to run in an actual session.

I really think that if someone feels THAC0 or grid combat will make the game feel like 2e or 4e I think they missed the point of those editions.

For 2e more flexablity, more DM control, and more stuff that's just wild and has rules that don't match up with other.

For 4e it needs Set class roles defender striker leader controller, class features that enforce those roles.

My point was that options will be in the DMG to make games more and more like previous editions. There are going to be variant rules and guidelines to help with those styles of play so the DM can customize the experience that he wants, while the character options are already a bit of a mix of different possible styles.

I like 5e overall just the way it is so far, but I look forward to the DMG to see what it has to offer outside of the obvious things I want like the Death Domain and the Oathbreaker Paladin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads