D&D General What do you NOT want systems for?

Reynard

Legend
On the other hand, I have absolutely no use whatsoever for a random table of anything. I DON'T need Random Encounters, Random Treasure Tables, Random Dungeon Builders, Random Name Generators - NONE of that stuff.
Wow. That is crazy pants to me (no offense intended). I ADORE random tables because it is too easy to.fall into habits and since I improv a lot I appreciate things that take me out of my preferred tropes etc.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
On the other hand, I have absolutely no use whatsoever for a random table of anything. I DON'T need Random Encounters, Random Treasure Tables, Random Dungeon Builders, Random Name Generators - NONE of that stuff.
Heh, that is the complete opposite of me. I use the heck out of random generators. When I'm running a game I have a Google Sheets file open with all kinds of RND generators linked to tables. I have random NPCs (complete with names, how they're dressed, and what they're carrying), I have random encounters (by environment, time of day, and party level), random treasures, random weather, random merchant inventories...

Don't get me wrong; my adventures are all carefully mapped out, and I like having all of the scripted encounters, traps, and treasures right where they're supposed to be. But I also like having the power of random chaos at my fingertips, like when the players do something unhinged and I need to react in a hurry.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd like optional minigame subsystems for nearly everything - Combat, Social Encounters, Trap encounters, Environmental Hazards, Shopping Sprees, Magical Rituals, Downtime Activities, Overland Travel, Ship-to-Ship Combat, Aerial Combat. The Works.

I might not use 'em, but I want them.

Oh, man, I love a random chart, either for rolling or as a menu to provide possibilities to build off of. Best part is that they can often be system neutral, so random charts from older Editions or other games can be handy.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Looking into the rules for a D&D adjacent system, I Noped Out when I read the long multiple step formula for adjudication an Ability Check: like 3E on steroids. I have no use for complex algebraic fiddlyness in core resolution.
As an improv GM, I like having trustworthy benchmarks available to me so my guesses land somewhere near reasonable, but I otherwise agree: if it is that complex, you are probably doing it wrong.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As an improv GM, I like having trustworthy benchmarks available to me so my guesses land somewhere near reasonable, but I otherwise agree: if it is that complex, you are probably doing it wrong.
For sure there are lots of different ways to measure and add up for resolution: if I were to pick abstractly, a roll under mechanic like BRP is probably my favorite form, but 2d6 or d20 high roll mechanics are all fine, but too many factors to keep in mind will get old, fast.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Realism and verisimilitude as people use them in relation to making fantasy more like their flawed understanding of Earth. I'd like those excised from the game entirely.

Beyond that, wounds and injury, anything involving the bathroom, inventory management, hunger and hydration.

Basically I don't want systems for things I don't want in the game. Everything else? Gimme dat splat.

mamba

Legend
Should have rules: combat, travel / expeditions, cave/ underdark travel
No rules: social anything (barter, negotiations, ..)

Remove ads