• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever BAD

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania GOOD

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania BAD

Votes: 20 18.2%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hulk, Ironman, Thor, and Cap; they all got individual movies to intro them. No reason Iron Heart couldn't have gotten one of her own. They could have name dropped Riri Williams as an Easter egg and left the actual introduction for another movie.
Ironheart is getting her own show. Putting her in Wakanda Forever, at this point, just seems to be a random choice. Maybe the TV show will explain show why it was necessary.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Ironheart is getting her own show. Putting her in Wakanda Forever, at this point, just seems to be a random choice. Maybe the TV show will explain show why it was necessary.

Well, they will be able to, effectively, land running (unlike what they had to do in Moonknight). Whether that's a good reason is a question, but it potentially is a reason.

DorkForge

Explorer
Riri in WF was there for two reasons: the main one is to Spiderman her. We didn't get a Spiderman intro story, he just showed up in Civil War as an established (but realtively inexperienced) hero. This was Marvel's answer to avoiding the endless origin stories we get and what they did with Riri.
We get shown she's an intelligent character, the first time we see her suit it's already built and has passed the flying test (aka like halfway through the first Iron Man). We also get some justification to make her plausible as a character. Tony Stark was a billionaire and owned his own empire, we don't blink that he has a workshop and resources. We see Riri has to scrape parts from the trash, trade favours for workshop space etc.
They put her in Wakanda Forever as an easy way to shoehorn her into a bigger stage with the detector, and to play off the cultural notes. The pace of her intro and the smashing over the head with slightly cringey Int brags was a bit of a mistep. And it would have been nice to highlight some hole in her knowledge she can overcome.

Stalker0

Legend
Riri in WF was there for two reasons: the main one is to Spiderman her. We didn't get a Spiderman intro story, he just showed up in Civil War as an established (but realtively inexperienced) hero. This was Marvel's answer to avoiding the endless origin stories we get and what they did with Riri.
We get shown she's an intelligent character, the first time we see her suit it's already built and has passed the flying test (aka like halfway through the first Iron Man). We also get some justification to make her plausible as a character. Tony Stark was a billionaire and owned his own empire, we don't blink that he has a workshop and resources. We see Riri has to scrape parts from the trash, trade favours for workshop space etc.
They put her in Wakanda Forever as an easy way to shoehorn her into a bigger stage with the detector, and to play off the cultural notes. The pace of her intro and the smashing over the head with slightly cringey Int brags was a bit of a mistep. And it would have been nice to highlight some hole in her knowledge she can overcome.
I would argue the reason bringing in Iron heart was a bad idea for WF was the detraction from Shuri. Now as our main character, we want to build on her and prove to our audience that she can be a good replacement for our beloved former black panther …and her mechanical genius and intellect is one of her key traits. Ideally you want to show shuri as a great black panther, in part because her mind brings something new to the table thst her brother couldn’t provide.

Adding iron heart just muddies that water, you don’t need two mechanical geniuses in the movie. Now once shuri is firmly in the main character driver seat after a movie or two, then you can do the buddy genius thing (ala Tony/Bruce), because shuri is confidently established.

In summary, either establish a different character in WF that doesn’t have the same qualities as your main character, or delay the introduction until a Black Panther 3 buddy genius type movie

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Love and Thunder combines the Killer of the Gods storyline from the comics with the Lady Thor comics storyline. Lady Thor with Jane's Cancer, Becoming Lady Thor, Being Lady Thor, and Dying, would probably have been a much better arc as its own dedicated movie. Instead it is a bit of a tertiary storyline in Love and Thunder behind the big storylines of the now comedy protagonist Thor and the villain Gorr.
Part of the let down of LaT is that Ragnarok balanced the drama, action, and comedy so well (for some, myself included).

Also, I've only seen LaT once, but did they tie together the death and grief themes of Gorr's story and Jane's?
I just felt like Riri had no personality and was a complete nothing burger in WF. She left no impression on me other than she was there. I think somewhere around halfway through the movie everything had gotten kind of muddled.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
I just felt like Riri had no personality and was a complete nothing burger in WF. She left no impression on me other than she was there. I think somewhere around halfway through the movie everything had gotten kind of muddled.

Well, to be fair, part of the problem is two-fold, I think.

1. Ironheart does not seem to have as distinctive a character as Spider-Man. Its probably not a surprise for a character who's had years to develop in the parent source rather than decades.

2. The actress, while certainly competent, isn't Tom Holland. While he might not be everyone's cup of tea, he embraced the character with brio, and from the moment you see Spider-Man on the screen in CA:CW, you have no doubt who he is and what he's about.

I do think the poster who argued that the mentor/student dynamic between Tony and Peter was stronger because of the former being more well established than the one between Shiri and Riri is on to a little something too.

I don't think the net effect was a terrible failure--Thorne didn't phone it in--but it made a weakspot in a movie that I actually thought was otherwise fairly strong.

(Though that said, handing out new power suits to some already established characters in the movie, even late in it, does the tech-character-with-power-suit no favors).

DrunkonDuty

he/him

I agree that those are probably the reasons why they put Riri in the movie.

I think they made a mistake doing it. Her back story could have easily been done in the TV series.* I mean, it's not complicated: She's a tech genius. Unlike Stark, Riri wasn't born with a silver spoon and has to work for a living. The way she was introduced in WF would cover it nicely.

But by doing it in the movie they took away time from an already crowded runtime. And @Stalker0 makes some very good points about her character detracting from Shuri's spotlight.

*which, by the way, Yay! I like the character and I'm keen to see what can be done with her. Although giving her buddies in the Wakandan royal family is going to detract from some of her story. In fact, it will probably require some sort of lame work around as to why she doesn't just take up a research job in Wakanda.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
*which, by the way, Yay! I like the character and I'm keen to see what can be done with her. Although giving her buddies in the Wakandan royal family is going to detract from some of her story. In fact, it will probably require some sort of lame work around as to why she doesn't just take up a research job in Wakanda.
Yeah, it's taken us three Spider-Man movies and three Avengers movies to get us to the point where we will soon get to see Peter Parker making web-shooters and fluid on his own, which feels very backwards.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Also, I've only seen LaT once, but did they tie together the death and grief themes of Gorr's story and Jane's?

Not that I noticed.

Again, another too busy movie shoe-horning in too much stuff. I like Torg, Valkyrie, and the Guardians of the Galaxy but they got way too much screen time for no noticeable benefit.

Remove ads