D&D (2024) What do you think One D&D will do to the VTT industry?

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I think that their VTT will be a boon to both nVidia and AMD. Because it looks like it will melt graphics cards.

Seriously, I think it will piss people off.

I run Roll20. And it runs decently enough on my PC (with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700 and a trusty GTX 1070) but its limited by the power of the weakest user. And I don't see how WOTC's offering will get around that hurdle. We get annoyed enough when Roll20 chokes up on our Saturday night sessions.

I can only imagine how bad this will be.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I think that their VTT will be a boon to both nVidia and AMD. Because it looks like it will melt graphics cards.

I run Roll20. And it runs decently enough on my PC (with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700 and a trusty GTX 1070) but its limited by the power of the weakest user. And I don't see how WOTC's offering will get around that hurdle. We get annoyed enough when Roll20 chokes up on our Saturday night sessions.

I would have though that Roll20 issues would be either server side or client bandwidth. I would not have expected the client machines to make any difference.
On FantasyGrounds most issues we have had are bandwidth rather than machine performance.

Retreater

Legend
1. IF they get it to work, WotC will likely move all future D&D support from other VTTs. Eventually, if players want to play the most current edition and new products, they'll have no choice but to go to the new 3D VTT. Being the biggest game on the market, support for all other VTTs will dry up, effectively marking the end for many. Roll20 will be the first to go, because there isn't as much customization possible, it doesn't handle other systems that well, and D&D is such a major part of their games. Foundry will linger on with Pathfinder, Warhammer, and Free League games, but it will be primarily for "other games." Fantasy Grounds will continue to run older editions and Pathfinder, and will continue to shrink as those old systems further wane in popularity. Whiteboards, Zoom, and other "DIY" online solutions will remain unchanged.

2. But they won't get it to work.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

Yeah, even with Roll20's relatively modest needs we often have at least a few drops/slowdowns most sessions.

I can't even imagine what a truly graphics heavy VTT would do for that!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
1. IF they get it to work, WotC will likely move all future D&D support from other VTTs. Eventually, if players want to play the most current edition and new products, they'll have no choice but to go to the new 3D VTT. Being the biggest game on the market, support for all other VTTs will dry up, effectively marking the end for many. Roll20 will be the first to go, because there isn't as much customization possible, it doesn't handle other systems that well, and D&D is such a major part of their games. Foundry will linger on with Pathfinder, Warhammer, and Free League games, but it will be primarily for "other games." Fantasy Grounds will continue to run older editions and Pathfinder, and will continue to shrink as those old systems further wane in popularity. Whiteboards, Zoom, and other "DIY" online solutions will remain unchanged.

2. But they won't get it to work.
With regard to 2, they will get it to work if they spend the time and money.
With regard to point 1, they might do what you say but they do not have to.
A VTT does not need full automation to be viable.
It is two years to 2024. I really doubt they will have anything other than beta by then. We could be out to 2027 before we see the release version.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Even the possibility that WotC will pull the license will make many people reluctant to buy into a 3rd party VTT.
Not really. It will affect 3rd party VTTs like FantasyGrounds that rely on developer automation. VTTs that do not provide built-in automation or have user tools to provide automation have a better chance.
However I think it is premature to say the sky is falling.

MarkB

Legend
I don't believe WotC will pull the licence from other VTTs. They're all revenue streams for D&D products. Instead, I'd expect them to expand the functionality of their own VTT beyond just D&D, allowing it to compete with others as a semi-general purpose VTT.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I don't believe WotC will pull the licence from other VTTs. They're all revenue streams for D&D products. Instead, I'd expect them to expand the functionality of their own VTT beyond just D&D, allowing it to compete with others as a semi-general purpose VTT.
To be honest that is what I expect also.

WotC will absolutely be pulling the licenses from other VTTs and saber rattling over them including anything that’s not in the SRD once their VTT is on the market. Guaranteed.

I don’t know that I completely agree with this video, but it’s worth a listen.

I basically don't at all, except that it could damage other VTTs.

Remove ads