• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance What do you want from a Dragonlance 5e?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The only reasons we've heard for it 'not sounding good' is the kind of objections you called 'nitpicky.'
Of course, it's subjective. I'd heard "John Carter, Warlord of Mars" before I ever heard of D&D, for instance. ;)

But, it does have a fantasy cachet to it, even if, say, in Xena, it would've been applied to a villain, and the RL meaning actually fits much better than the various military-rank versions. Warlords lead & wield power because people follow them, not the other-way round. A D&D Heroic warlord won't follow the RL definition exactly, just as the D&D Cleric, Druid, Warlorck, Sorcerer, Thief, and Assassin (and most classes, really), don't.

Nod. The mechanics of the class could easily support that kind of character concept, something D&D had not done well (or, really, at all) before or since.

Those other class names aren’t supposed to sound heroic, they’re supposed to sound ominous, or shady, or dangerous, and these names match the themes of the classes.

Warlord has no positive cache, connotations, or associations, for most people, and also only means “someone who rules over others by force”.

Captain has broad cache in and out of fantasy, doesn’t apply a negative connotation to a class with no matching themes.

Warlord is jarring next to the actual class, while Captain fits it exactly and without explanation.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So I came here to talk Dragonlance (MOAR KENDER!), and a Warlord thread broke out ....

So, how about my modest proposal for Dragonlance 5e- we have Warlords, but they are race-restricted to Kender?

Done, and done.

I’d settle for more leadership maneuvers for battle masters and a leadery Fighting Style, and then I could build Laurana just fine!

But seriously with some folks focus on War over Adventure in DL games, it would make sense to put out some new options that focus more on tactics, leadership upon the field, etc.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Those other class names aren’t supposed to sound heroic, they’re supposed to sound ominous, or shady, or dangerous, and these names match the themes of the classes.
They really don't, they're 180 off in some cases, like Sorcerer, the RL definition of which has nothing to do with inborn natural power and throwing elemental or wild magic around - though it is plenty negative.

So, there's no need for D&D class names to tightly match RL definitions - because no D&D class has ever done so.

Warlord has no positive cache, connotations, or associations, for most people
Or, maybe you're just projecting what it means to you. I think anyone possibly into D&D has probably encountered it in fantasy and similar contexts.
, and also only means “someone who rules over others by force”.
There are a number of definitions, but a key aspect of them is that they do not imply authority, or position in a military hierarchy - rather, the warlord exercises power, due to their ability to "mobilize loyal armed troops." The power of the D&D warlord, likewise, comes from his allies, not from any external authorities - a support character.

Is still, inescapably, a common military rank that implies authority over subordinates, and being subject to the orders of higher ranks. Which is in no way what the class is.

OTOH, the class is mostly about the skills/talents/abilities/tropes of the concept, not the position, it's broader than, but can easily encompass, military commanders and the like with external authority - just also with those abilities.

Last edited:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I warned you... I warned all of you... [elder Yoda voice].

Listen, you did not. Confront posters over threadbombing Dragonlance, I did. Engage, you did. The thread, now is one more Warlord thread.

Respond not to posters who argue over class design. Instead, Dragonlance, we must discuss, hmmhmhm?

Heh!

So, combining these both, favorite villain in Dragonlance? For me, it's Lord Soth. I've said in the past that I'd love for him to be the star of a sequel to Curse of Strahd, but I'd also want him in a Dragonlance adventure or setting book. "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

I would also think that Raistlin counts. I generally consider his redemption at the end of the Legends trilogy to be unearned.

Respond not to posters who argue over class design. Instead, Dragonlance, we must discuss, hmmhmhm?

I gave you a laugh, but, please, consider it my Villain Laugh. :D

Remove ads