Dragonlance What do you want from a Dragonlance 5e?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I like the concept, the name does not work for me. Sorry I dont like it. Warlord, commander, or leader work better for me. Although warlord has very negative connotations.
The media's been using 'warlord' the way it's used 'insurgent' and ('Islamist') 'cleric' and, of course 'terrorist' since 9/11. Maybe not as prominently as the others, mainly to refer to militant tribal leaders in Afghanistan.

And, it's not like D&D class names like Sorcerer and Warlock (and sub-classes, like necromancer, thief, and assassin, at the least), don't carry quite negative connotations, even without cropping up in the news cycle.

But Commander is literally also a rank.
It is, yes.
Captain can just mean “person who is really good”.
Well, "importance and influence in a field" a person who's really good is often called a 'wizard.'
Aragorn and Boromir are both Captains.
They are, and it's a rank that implies they lead troops. Robin
“Captain of Industry” is
It's someone with a lot of economic power, really, not at all fantasy-appropriate (maybe it'd work in Eberron?). And, it's a specific idiom.

Robin Hood is a Captain.
Robin Hood, the leader of a band of armed insurgents who have sized control of a region within a state, fits the RL definition of Warlord pretty closely.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The media's been using 'warlord' the way it's used 'insurgent' and ('Islamist') 'cleric' and, of course 'terrorist' since 9/11. Maybe not as prominently as the others, mainly to refer to militant tribal leaders in Afghanistan.

And, it's not like D&D class names like Sorcerer and Warlock (and sub-classes, like necromancer, thief, and assassin, at the least), don't carry quite negative connotations, even without cropping up in the news cycle.

It is, yes.
Well, "importance and influence in a field" a person who's really good is often called a 'wizard.'
They are, and it's a rank that implies they lead troops. Robin
It's someone with a lot of economic power, really, not at all fantasy-appropriate (maybe it'd work in Eberron?). And, it's a specific idiom.
That sort of nitpicking only matters to the tiny fraction of players who overthink this stuff as much as we do.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
My version of the Warlord uses the name ''Companion''. I wanted to remove all notion of hierarchy or overly martial features from the class to make it more of an ''helper'' or synergist class, that buff their party with mundane luck, flash of genius, cunning, wits, unrelenting hope and the ultimate power of friendship. :p

You know, more Samwise than General Paton.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Warlord just doesn’t even sound good, is the problem.
The only reasons we've heard for it 'not sounding good' is the kind of objections you called 'nitpicky.'
Of course, it's subjective. I'd heard "John Carter, Warlord of Mars" before I ever heard of D&D, for instance. ;)

But, it does have a fantasy cachet to it, even if, say, in Xena, it would've been applied to a villain, and the RL meaning actually fits much better than the various military-rank versions. Warlords lead & wield power because people follow them, not the other-way round. A D&D Heroic warlord won't follow the RL definition exactly, just as the D&D Cleric, Druid, Warlorck, Sorcerer, Thief, and Assassin (and most classes, really), don't.

My version of the Warlord uses the name ''Companion''. I wanted to remove all notion of hierarchy or overly martial features from the class to make it more of an ''helper'' or synergist class, that buff their party with mundane luck, flash of genius, cunning, wits, unrelenting hope and the ultimate power of friendship. :p
You know, more Samwise than General Paton.
Nod. The mechanics of the class could easily support that kind of character concept, something D&D had not done well (or, really, at all) before or since.

Remove ads