D&D 5E What do you want from Legends & Lore

LightPhoenix

First Post
I too would like to see more focused articles. I'm thinking something like the Q&A article, but with more in depth discussion. Right now my biggest problem is that L&L is basically fluff that doesn't really say anything.

I would just kill it as a regular feature and only do posts when it is an announcement, to put out fires and to address specific concerns. I do enjoy the bigger picture design stuff, but simply churning out a weekly post to meet a deadline (or not as it has been recently) simply causes more problems than it is worth.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Personally, I want to see more direct interaction. I agree with the idea that there should be more "Ask Me Anything" events. I'd also like to see more designer interaction in the comments and forums.

As for the specific content of the articles, I would like to see sample mechanics to go along with the theories. For example, when discussing these new, bigger feats, give us an example or two. Preface these with big bold letters that say "CONCEPTUAL EXAMPLE" or some such.

I always enjoy the hangouts, because they often break into spontaneous design discussion. I'd like to see more of that.

Li Shenron

Legend
I would just kill it as a regular feature and only do posts when it is an announcement, to put out fires and to address specific concerns. I do enjoy the bigger picture design stuff, but simply churning out a weekly post to meet a deadline (or not as it has been recently) simply causes more problems than it is worth.

What problems has it caused so far?

There is so much they could write about, and at every new packet they can write about it again, that there could be 2/3 L&L articles per week.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Dunno if this has been suggested yet or not, but for me...

Along with the "here's what we're looking at/changing/wondering about now" would be some more, especially as the months go by, "This is HOW IT IS. This is WHAT WE'VE DECIDED"...your the developer, DEVELOP! You're the boss, make the tough choices, the executive decisions! All the polls in the world matter for squat. Sooner or later a decision NEEDS to be made to say "we're going to do this not that."

I'm kinda just sick of the vacillations and "thinking about", "examining", "trying out", "retrying" and "reexamining"...OO! and "considering". Reallllly tired of the "considering." You had plenty of time for all of that. You've had your polls. Gotten your feedback. Now, MAKE A DAMN DECISION...AND, this part is key, then STICK TO IT!

If people want to whine and cry about that decision, tear their hair and gnash their teeth, so. be. it. I hold no delusions that I'm sure there will be elements, fluff or rules, that I will completely disagree with and, thence, ignore in my games. BUT, to end up with a game at all, you need to set the parameters. And all of the theoretical and philosophical "want to please/include everyone" is well and good...but it does not create a game.

Make decisions and tell us what they are. That's what I want to see.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Make decisions and tell us what they are. That's what I want to see.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Good design means trying new things, even when what you have works. You test your ideas, and if they aren't working for the design, you kill them, even if you love them. Your design is finished when you either run out of ideas, or more often, you run out of time.

So far, the results have been great, but there are still some significant subsystems (such as skills) that need to be experimented with before they can consider locking down the game and polishing.

Remove ads