D&D 5E What do you want from Legends & Lore

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Legends & Lore is the big weekly touch-base with what the design team is doing. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's weak, but the one constant is that Mike Mearls always catches some flack for it. Fortunately, he has a fairly thick skin, but maybe we can help out.

What would you like to see from Legends & Lore that would make it a better part of the discussion and design process? What would make it more interesting?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
- Discuss more about modules that will incorporate some 4E design

- Discuss more on what is the Legacy system

- Discuss more on how Adventurer's Tiers Level will impact on Multiclassing and Prestige Path

- Share Survey results

Last edited:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Sharing the survey results more frequently would be interesting, though I can see why he doesn't do it. It would influence those who haven't taken the surveys yet, or it could influence the opinions of those who haven't tried the playtest yet. Still, I would love the opportunity to see some of the numbers.

I'd also like to see more specifics. Mike always talks about broad, general topics, but it would be great to see more nitty-gritty of how the design becomes a game element, or how the different elements evolve over the process.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Honestly I'd rather see a one page adventure posted each week w/ some new monster stats and ideas about how to run it in the DDN playtest. And then maybe a note down at the bottom about what's happened this week with the DDN design team.

I mean I guess there have been some good things to come out of the L&L column; but my sense is that the design process is in the muddled middle where there's not really great blogging material available every week.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I would like mike to start each L&L with a brif description of what he is wearing :cool:

Jokes aside, I would much rather have either concrete information on what the design team is thinking with a couple of examples or a question to the community regarding a part of the design process.

But I would much rather have an ask-me-anything once a month.

Warder

Laser-like focus and candidness that leaves no room for interpretation.

EG

"Non-Combat, Conflict Resolution Systems are not D&D. Therefore, one will not be included in the Basic Core engine. As such, do not expect to see deployable resources for such a resolution system built into the classes. Roleplay the social conflict and do what you've always done with exploration elements of the game. That is the 'essential D&D experience.'

Its possible that we will work up a module for this in the future but this will not be at release. This module will contain the mechanical resolution system and class resources that interact with such a system."

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I like specific goals. I loved when he used bullet points, and says "here's what we're thinking right now" for goals, or what, specifically, they'd like to see. I'm not a fan of them when it's very broad, or touches on a new concept without really explaining what it is, its implications, etc. Clarity is a big thing for what I'd like to see out of L&L in the future. As always, play what you like :)

avin

First Post
L&L should talk about electronic suport for Next, we'll have it out of the box?

Are they already planning iPad/Android support?

Are we going to be able to use it offline, at least in pads? Offline Monster Builder was a major turn down for my 4E campaign planning.

delericho

Legend
Before it was "Legends & Lore", the column was "Design and Development". And way back when that column started was also the time when it was at its best. Partly simply because it was new, partly because it was written by someone who was directly involved in the process (as opposed to Mike, who is more management-oriented). And partly because it talked quite a lot about the underlying theories, and mused about what made a better game (in general), rather than tackling the specifics and minutae of the upcoming edition.

IMO, of course.

L&L should talk about electronic suport for Next, we'll have it out of the box?

Are they already planning iPad/Android support?

Also, this.

Remove ads