D&D 5E (+) What Do YOU Want In D&D Art?

I said this in the other thread, but the Young Adventurer's Guides have the same or similar art but without the various backsplashes, and it looks much better IMO

MTOF:

corpseF.jpg

vs YA Guides

beasts-behemoths-pg-59.jpg
bnb-weretiger.jpg

Dausuul

Legend
What I would like:

Coherent style within books. Each book should have a definite style, consistent across all of its art. It doesn't all have to be by the same artist, but it should at least look as if the artists went to the same school.

If two books are closely connected--typically by setting, such as Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft and Curse of Strahd--they should have the same or similar styles. However, Wizards doesn't do 2E-style product lines any more, so for the most part each book will stand on its own.

Distinct styles between books. You should be able to look at any given art piece and say "That must have come from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything," just by the artistic style alone. Every time you pick up a new D&D book, it should be a moment of discovery to see what they did with the art*. To hell with brand identity; the identity of the D&D brand is bold variety. (Yeah, I realize that's a tough pitch to the marketing department.)

The Core Style. So if every book has its own style, what should the core three be like? I was going to suggest a melange of different artists and styles, but on reflection, I don't think that would work. It would just look like a mess.

Instead, what I would want (and this is just my own personal preference) would be "realism-plus." Everything should look close to the real world, but just a bit more dramatic and theatrical. Armor is well designed and functional, but with more baroque and decorative features than you'd expect on a real battlefield. Swords are properly sized, but also a bit decorative, and they gleam as if they were just polished. People are heroically but reasonably proportioned, and they are either unusually clean (for adventurers slogging through a dungeon) or fantastically begrimed and bloodied.

Style-wise, I'd want intricate detail and crisp edges with minimal blur. Subdued and diffuse lighting for the most part, not a lot of intense point sources. Inline art should have no background at all. For full-page art, the background should also be highly detailed, and it should have that same "realistic-plus" look. The landscape should look like something you could imagine seeing in the real world--but if you did see it, you'd stop and stare in awe before clawing for your phone to snap a picture.

Basically, I want Larry Elmore back, minus the chainmail bikinis and the '80s hair. Well, maybe just a little '80s hair. :)

*Okay, it won't really be a moment of discovery, since you've undoubtedly seen the cover and the cover should be an exemplar of the style. But if you hadn't been keeping up on the latest product and someone gave you a wrapped copy of the book as a present or something, it would be a discovery.

Scribe

Legend
I like books to be consistent. I like the art quality to be consistent throughout the book, same with the tone, or theme. I love art that creates the backdrop, landscapes, for example by artist Rob Alexander, or art seen in (even the cover) of Rime of the Frost Maiden.

Something which evokes a feeling of both real, and fantastical. Not just Mountains, but MOUNTAINS. The most misty of forests, where you can smell the moss, and the scent of the rain never really disappears.

I want the Monsters to be Monstrous. I want the Adventurers to look like you would if you lived a life of adventuring in the wilds of the world between villages. A bit greasy, a bit rough around the edges, and a bit wild.

I saw a review for the latest batman. "Its dirty looking, when contrasted to the clean of modern cinema." Get some grit in there, when it comes to the characters get some dirt on those hands.

One of my favourite characters of any D&D media, is Korgan Bloodaxe, from Baldur's Gate 2. No, he's not a good guy, but he will be a faithful companion, and he will banter with most of your party regardless of composition.

There's another thread where there was discussion about XP for Gold, so you go in stealth, get the loot and go, vs XP for Killing, and I want the art TO be that kick in the door type of action.

I dont think what I really want, is ever actually going to be in the cards again.

1. Consistent Art Direction/Style in a book.
2. 'Lead' Artist setting the style in a book.
3. Epic yet REAL looking landscapes.
4. Action with a bit of that 90's look, if not full on 'Wayne Reynolds/Dark Age of Comics', but if the choice is Wayne, vs 'Current 5e' I pick Wayne every day.

I'm not looking for downtime shots. I'm not interested in a quiet night around the campfire. Kick in the door.

G

Guest 7034872

OB1 said it for me: variety. Show me art that I already enjoy, sure, but also show me art that I haven't yet learned to enjoy (but can). It's almost true by definition that I can't know what the next artistic style I'm going to fall in love with is: I haven't fallen in love with it yet.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
What I want is evocative art.

I find most art that's published in the books of big players to be certainly adequate and technically impressive, but to me it has no soul. It almost all looks the same, different artists all brought under a very inoffensive and bland art direction. I want different books with different mediums, different styles, different layouts. I want some life in these big books, I want to read the book and just not be able to stop thinking about the mood it puts me in.

However, I think what I'm looking for is a bit incompatible with D&D. It has willingly moved toward an art direction that's easy to digest because it wants the default art for the default game of TTRPG. It wants to be the default option. Something that doesn't challenge you too much and is just easy to pick off the shelf and be like "I've seen this a dozen times, this is comfortable".

Examples of games with incredible art direction and moods for me:
  • Symbaroum, by Free League.
  • Vaesen by Free League.
  • Mork Borg, no interest in playing it, but oh boy.
  • Orbital Blues by MuppetSoul
  • The art of Tim Bradstreet in older editions of Vampire the Masquerade.
A strong art direction can carry a set of pieces that's less technically impressive.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I almost want art that I would like less than the current art, if it would challenge me more. If that makes any sense. I want the potential to be wowed over the standard nod-and-shrug.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Remove ads