D&D 5E What do you want to see as the 5e Iconics?

Kaodi

Hero
I'd like to see Morgan Ironwolf as the iconic human fighter -- might be nice to have an iconic female fighter with an appropriate suit of armor (i.e., no chainmail bikini).

This is one of the reasons I like the old Dungeon Iconics. Elanna, though afflicted with all all too familiar posing problem, was outfitted in scale mail that did not expose any skin.

Ugh. I'd specifically like to see Lidda retired. Of course, you may notice my list of iconics didn't include any halflings because I can't see iconic characters of races that aren't in the game.

Well, I also prefer my halflings to be more hobbit-like, but Lidda has evolved to have some actual personality. Some of the illos of her in the 3E books -- like the failed Use Magic Device attempt -- were pretty funny.

Kaodi

Hero
Anyway, it is unfortunate that this: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/ADND_Fast_Play.pdf ; does not have the full picture, but it does have the cut off character portraits in colour from the D&D Fast-Play Game.

If I could figure out which artist had this weird eye looking symbol that might also be C O D, I could perhaps look for his or her work directly and find the picture that way. Maybe Clyde Caldwell? Yes!

Okay, just found the picture on Google:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xJVtqmHBFu4/T3BlMEeZI7I/AAAAAAAAAVw/uaLIkiUX8nQ/s1600/adventurers.jpg

erf_beto

First Post
Not to mention selling a pack or two of iconic miniatures.
This would be good. Better than those "random" heroes pack...

Anyway, I'd like to see the iconic's CHARACTER SHEETS in the PHB too. I mean, they are already there, why not have beautifully illustrated, fully built Pregens? You can get on with the game if out of time to build one, and it's a great how-to for newbs.

As for dwarven rogues... well, three months ago, I would say that's just too weird or even comical for an iconic (I prefer classic roles), but then I played Dragon Age 2, and now Varic is my favorite character: a beardless dwarf with a silver tongue wielding a crossbow.
(and he's kinda hot, in a manly sortta way... :blush: )

Mercule

Adventurer
Why do you think that there won't be halfings in the game?
I'm pretty certain they'll be in there. I'd just prefer them to not be. Halflings, whether the 3e skinny or 1e pudgy kind are so bland, boring, and pointless as to make gnomes seems like a party. I can't imagine wanting to play one, and having one in my game is vaguely annoying (which is why they don't exist, in my home brew). Heck, Eberron gave them freaking dinosaurs, and I still can't stand them.

soulcatcher78

First Post
Anyway, it is unfortunate that this: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/ADND_Fast_Play.pdf ; does not have the full picture, but it does have the cut off character portraits in colour from the D&D Fast-Play Game.

If I could figure out which artist had this weird eye looking symbol that might also be C O D, I could perhaps look for his or her work directly and find the picture that way. Maybe Clyde Caldwell? Yes!

Okay, just found the picture on Google:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xJVtqmHBFu4/T3BlMEeZI7I/AAAAAAAAAVw/uaLIkiUX8nQ/s1600/adventurers.jpg

It's Clyde Caldwell and that is the cover from the module Needle.

Stormonu

Legend
Cool. My only beef personally is that they are too vanilla for my taste. I love the images, but, way too human heavy. Maybe I've just had weird experiences, but, I'm having trouble thinking of a single group I've played in since about 1985 that had all core, standard races/classes. Even WAY back, we were pulling stuff from The Dragon (and possibly The Strategic Review - gack, I'm old). I remember minotaurs became quite popular for a while. Aarococra featured in other groups. You name it.

In my last 3e game, I think there was one PHB raced character, and the rest were from outside of core.

So, I hope that the iconics for D&DN have at least a little loving for those of us who like less traditional party make-ups.

My experiences certainly differ, I've always ended up with groups that were all cores - with the exception of one "random monster" in the group (whether drow, minotaur, kenku, raptorian or whatever) - and this has been over the span of close to 30 years.

In fact, this last week I had a reunion with my players from over 20 years ago; their old group was a elf fighter/mage, human paladin, human ranger, human wizard, halfling fighter/thief, human cleric, human samurai and human monk (these were 1E/2E characters).

For the reunion we were playing characters that were "taking up the banner" from this group and it consisted of a human fighter, human wizard, halfling rogue, human druid, human ranger, dwarf barbarian/cleric, and drow sorcerer/rogue (hence the "odd man out"). I should point out there were no racial or class restrictions based on the old characters - in fact, the player of the dwarf barbarian/cleric had previously played the human cleric in the old game.

In contrast, my regular play group is a human fighter, human conjurer, elf ranger, halfling rogue and a gnome cleric.

I may be in the minority, but I've seen an awful lot of human characters over the years and only a smattering of demihumans.
------

And if halflings (or gnomes) were ever removed, I'd frankly have some unhappy players - my wife and sister-and-law being two that'd be among them (as would I)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
If it were up to me, you'd have a stable of iconics. LOTS of them. Two for every class, maybe three even. Mix and match. I don't think a simple four iconics is a good idea. It's too limiting. For one thing, if you have 4 iconics based on traditional fantasy (think LotR) then you are ignoring a rather large segment of players that like to play non-traditional races. Go dungeonpunk and the older crowd is screaming bloody murder. Go Anime and all sorts of midden is going to hit the windmill.

what if they had multiple iconic adventuring parties?

Gygax's Grognards (going with older designs to get that old school feel.)
Wings of Woohoo (featuring wild, crazy, or just plain silly characters, like gnome barbarians)
Murder of Ravens (With Gothic styles and brooding)
etc.

I'm sure there is potential with something like this.

Remove ads