D&D 5E What do you want to see as the 5e Iconics?

Derren

Hero
Imo each book should have their own set of iconics. And more importantly, each book should through its art tell a story, showcasing the content of the book in it be it new classes, races, spells or setting.

Kaodi

Hero
Having different Iconics for every book would make them a Cast, not a group of Iconics. Witness how even Iconics from the 3.X PHB II are barely memorable. You have to keep using them over and over again for them to gain traction. After all, they cannot really be Iconic if they are just one-offs.

Hussar

Legend
You know what... that isn't such a bad idea! Another D&D comic book series featuring iconic characters that also appear in the rule books. From a marketing stand-point, there's a lot of synergy there.

Well, apparently D&D novels do reasonably well, so, I could see a decent series of YA fiction books to come out of this. A comic book series would be a cool idea as well.

And... maybe a TV show or a movie? Maybe? Possibly? Something half way decent??? Good grief Hasbro, you made a bloody movie about BATTLESHIP. Howzabout giving some love to D&D? Sheesh.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'd like to see a lack of iconics. Get good art and leave it at that. Playing along for fun, though:

For some reason, I'd like to see a nod to the female human cleric from the BECMI Red Box. From the number of people I've heard mention her over the years, she's probably the original icon.

Emirikol (sp?) is one of the few 1e pictures with a name. Again, I've heard lots of references to that picture.

I could get behind the idea of a dwarven rogue. Better yet, maybe a bard.

I'd also like to see a dragonborn. Maybe as the iconic paladin or warlord.

I was thinking a female fighter could be interesting, and I was going to throw in elf for good measure. That made me think of my wife's swashbuckling fighter/rogue. Depending on the flavor of the rogue, that could work even better.

If the rogue takes the female elf, I'd like to see the fighter as a human male. Actually, Regdar would be just fine to bring forward.

If the female elf gets to strap on plate armor, then either use the dwarven rogue or a male human rogue.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Emirikol (sp?) is one of the few 1e pictures with a name. Again, I've heard lots of references to that picture.
It was quite memorable for a number of reasons. It was pretty darn good art by then-current D&D standards. It was a dramatic scene. "The Chaotic" made him sound like a bad-boy.

But, for me, what particularly stuck with me about that picture was that it wasn't possible within the D&D rules. It's not just that the ray didn't quite fit any spells as described (Finger of Death, no ray; Disintegrate, well, disintegrates; Ray of Enfeeblement is 'sickly grey' not flashy). The big problem was that in AD&D you quite specifically could not cast spells from the back of a moving mount, and that horse looks to be galloping.

Today it seems trivial, but at the time my 14yo self was quite perplexed that there'd be an illustration of something that just couldn't happen in the game.

Definitely bring back Lidda. I'd like to see Morgan Ironwolf as the iconic human fighter -- might be nice to have an iconic female fighter with an appropriate suit of armor (i.e., no chainmail bikini).

Mercule

Adventurer
Definitely bring back Lidda. I'd like to see Morgan Ironwolf as the iconic human fighter -- might be nice to have an iconic female fighter with an appropriate suit of armor (i.e., no chainmail bikini).
Ugh. I'd specifically like to see Lidda retired. Of course, you may notice my list of iconics didn't include any halflings because I can't see iconic characters of races that aren't in the game.

Derren

Hero
I would rather have iconics represented through writing (for example excerpts from Volos notes) than iconics whos only purpose it is to pose on pictures.

Hussar

Legend
Ugh. I'd specifically like to see Lidda retired. Of course, you may notice my list of iconics didn't include any halflings because I can't see iconic characters of races that aren't in the game.

Why do you think that there won't be halfings in the game?

Remove ads