D&D 5E What do you want to see as the 5e Iconics?

Derren

Hero
For me, the most iconic party is Human Cleric, Dwarven Fighter, Elven Wizard, and Halfling Rogue. In terms of iconic characters, I think they should stick with these basic four. All other classes and races don't get iconic characters; they get example artwork.

Human Wizard, Elven Fighter, Dwarven Rogue, Halfling Cleric,

Tortoise

First Post
I'll probably get lynched for this, but it doesn't get much more iconic D&D than this guy:

[SBLOCK="Sorry..."]This is not an endorsement.
In_the_Cave___Drizzt_Do__Urden_by_CG_Warrior.jpg
[/SBLOCK]

Hangin's too good for 'im, burnin's too good for 'im. He needs to be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive!
- Hanover Fist

Remathilis

Legend
Based on a thread I was reading a while back on the WotC boards, I don't think it is fair to blame the art style. I think Mailee is just ugly. Seriously, there are no "pretty" drawings of her in any book I've ever seen. She is just damned ugly.

__mialee___my_own___by_MizuGonJinn.jpg

640x482_3655_Forest_spirit_2d_fantasy_girl_woman_mage_wizard_elf_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

mialee_color.jpg

Tovec

Explorer
[sblock]
__mialee___my_own___by_MizuGonJinn.jpg

640x482_3655_Forest_spirit_2d_fantasy_girl_woman_mage_wizard_elf_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

mialee_color.jpg
[/sblock]
Are any of these from WotC publications? Even the third one has a weird face. The middle one doesn't even look like her. Seriously, go look at the books and look at her. She's in multiple publications and she is ALWAYS ugly, dark, brooding or angry.. but mainly ugly.

I wish I could find that thread, I looked for it briefly but can't find it.

I miss that one and the "pelor is evil" thread. I miss the old boards dangit.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think iconics are a great idea. They are really good devices for helping new players and DMs with the game. Big fan.

That said, they should be, you know, iconic, and not on the fringes of the rules and the implied setting....otherwise they are example characters, not iconics...

Hussar

Legend
Tangent Alert

What's with all the Drizz't hate? Sure, I'm not a fan either. I've never read the books and I'm not really even much of a Forgotten Realms guy either. But, is there a single more recognized D&D character in the world? R.A. Salvatore has probably done more to put D&D on the world map than anyone else. Either than Wiess and Hickman, no one comes even close.

We could do worse than chucking a Dark Elf on the cover of a book or two if we want to attract some new gamers.

/end tangent.

I do think that we need iconics. I know there was a blog post at Boing Boing a while ago praising Paizo for having more ethnicity in their PHB. The response to that is, while it is true, a large number of the iconics in 4e aren't human. It's not like you can really get an ethnicity out of a Dragonborn. And Tiefling with identifiable ethnicity might be a REALLY bad idea.

OTOH, for the humanoids, I got no problem mixing and matching a bit. Although, there is a bit of difficulty. If you have an African Elf for example, how do you distinguish that iconic from Drow? That sort of thing.

If it were up to me, you'd have a stable of iconics. LOTS of them. Two for every class, maybe three even. Mix and match. I don't think a simple four iconics is a good idea. It's too limiting. For one thing, if you have 4 iconics based on traditional fantasy (think LotR) then you are ignoring a rather large segment of players that like to play non-traditional races. Go dungeonpunk and the older crowd is screaming bloody murder. Go Anime and all sorts of midden is going to hit the windmill.

Instead, let's have about 20 or 30 iconics. Spread them all over the place. Sometimes they're teaming up with different iconics. Sometimes they might be fighting or competing with other iconics.

Look at most superhero team comic books. Justice League, X-Men, Avengers. You don't have just four characters all the time. You have a whole stable full of characters.

That's what I'd like to see.

IanB

First Post
If you have an African Elf for example, how do you distinguish that iconic from Drow? That sort of thing.

I don't know any purple-skinned people of any ethnic background, so I'm relatively sure this would be easily accomplished.

Remove ads