D&D 5E What do you want to see as the 5e Iconics?

IanB

First Post
Drow are purple?

In most of the art they have a purple/blue tinge, yes. They're certainly nothing anywhere in the vicinity of a realistic human skintone; even I who am color-blind cannot imagine a scenario in which a realistically-drawn person of African descent would resemble typical drow art in skin color.

Kaodi

Hero
Also, I propose we bring back: Darkblade, Elanna, Niles, and Thaddeus!

Come on! Somebody must get this reference.

Tangent Alert

What's with all the Drizz't hate? Sure, I'm not a fan either. I've never read the books and I'm not really even much of a Forgotten Realms guy either. But, is there a single more recognized D&D character in the world? R.A. Salvatore has probably done more to put D&D on the world map than anyone else. Either than Wiess and Hickman, no one comes even close.

We could do worse than chucking a Dark Elf on the cover of a book or two if we want to attract some new gamers.

/end tangent.

I think the problem with Driz'zt is that he has been a) done to death; b) is more of a DMPC in tone; and c) does not engage in the typical style of D&D adventures. Any one of those could potentially disqualify him. If we were going with novel characters, the Heroes of the Lance would probably be a better choice.

Hussar said:
If it were up to me, you'd have a stable of iconics. LOTS of them. Two for every class, maybe three even. Mix and match. I don't think a simple four iconics is a good idea. It's too limiting. For one thing, if you have 4 iconics based on traditional fantasy (think LotR) then you are ignoring a rather large segment of players that like to play non-traditional races. Go dungeonpunk and the older crowd is screaming bloody murder. Go Anime and all sorts of midden is going to hit the windmill.

Instead, let's have about 20 or 30 iconics. Spread them all over the place. Sometimes they're teaming up with different iconics. Sometimes they might be fighting or competing with other iconics.

Look at most superhero team comic books. Justice League, X-Men, Avengers. You don't have just four characters all the time. You have a whole stable full of characters.

That's what I'd like to see.

I would not mind that. Pathfinder has over twenty iconics. D&D could probably use two of every class, which would neatly allow for one of each gender as well.

If nothing else, I really want to see a male dwarven rogue Iconic. They have made a certain amount of sense since at least 3e: can see well in darkness, can carry a tonne of loot, good with their hands; even if their ability bonuses did not necessarily back them up. A locksmith as opposed to a plain old thief.

Mercutio01

First Post
Drow are even darker than the darkest skinned Africans, who are still lighter in shade than the pure black that Drow are supposed to be. Drow are purple in the art because they're described as being black as obsidian. It's tough to show defining features when looking at something that is completely black.

Stormonu

Legend
These are my iconics:

DnDLegends.png

If you're not familiar, they are, from left to right, back to front:
Strongheart the Paladin, Ringlerun the mage, Mercion the Cleric, Warduke the fighter, Elkhorn the Dwarf, Figgin the halfling and Paralay/Melf the Elf.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think the problem with Driz'zt is that he has been a) done to death; b) is more of a DMPC in tone; and c) does not engage in the typical style of D&D adventures.
Not to mention that the design of the Ranger class ever since has been based on him (nimble 2-weapon finesse spindly type), rather than on the much better model of Aragorn (tough smart beat-your-face-in type). Drizz't ruined the class.

Lanefan

Hussar

Legend
These are my iconics:

snipped image for size

If you're not familiar, they are, from left to right, back to front:
Strongheart the Paladin, Ringlerun the mage, Mercion the Cleric, Warduke the fighter, Elkhorn the Dwarf, Figgin the halfling and Paralay/Melf the Elf.

Cool. My only beef personally is that they are too vanilla for my taste. I love the images, but, way too human heavy. Maybe I've just had weird experiences, but, I'm having trouble thinking of a single group I've played in since about 1985 that had all core, standard races/classes. Even WAY back, we were pulling stuff from The Dragon (and possibly The Strategic Review - gack, I'm old). I remember minotaurs became quite popular for a while. Aarococra featured in other groups. You name it.

In my last 3e game, I think there was one PHB raced character, and the rest were from outside of core.

So, I hope that the iconics for D&DN have at least a little loving for those of us who like less traditional party make-ups.

Instead, let's have about 20 or 30 iconics. Spread them all over the place. Sometimes they're teaming up with different iconics. Sometimes they might be fighting or competing with other iconics.

Look at most superhero team comic books. Justice League, X-Men, Avengers. You don't have just four characters all the time. You have a whole stable full of characters.

That's what I'd like to see.

You know what... that isn't such a bad idea! Another D&D comic book series featuring iconic characters that also appear in the rule books. From a marketing stand-point, there's a lot of synergy there.

Remove ads