• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do your Orcs look like?

What do your Orcs look like?

• As detailed in the 1E MM ("swine-like")

Votes: 45 10.2%
  • As detailed in 2E

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • As detailed in the 3E MM

Votes: 132 30.0%
  • As shown in the LOTR movies

Votes: 95 21.6%
  • More than one of the above

Votes: 70 15.9%
  • *Other

Votes: 80 18.2%

X-Marks!

First Post
An orc by any other name would still smell.

Actually, I can't tell what they look like now -- their faces are always obscured by all that pie! ;)

But seriously, I like to use the multi-racial/multi-strains from "Races of Faerun" to differentiate them the most. If pressed though, I've gotten used to the 3E versions, especially for the newer miniatures.

Although ... the recent Reaper minis are kind of a nice cross between the Gamorrean-style and the 3E Brutes. So I've taken to using their original "orcs" as hobgoblins, and their "black orcs" as the FR mountain variety.

Claudio Pozas; how could I forget? Yes, my orcs would look quite a bit like Claudio's half-orcs, actually. muthusmage and Filby; great stuff there. I had also given some similar thoughts to a setting that I never actually ran, or even developed very far. I was going to use Neandertals as orcs themselves, though -- the robust build and relatively coarse features already suggested orcs to me. The elves were a type of Fey that came from Outside, and were thus not closely related to orcs or humans. Most of the other demihumans were going to be cut from the setting.

My idea was that the world was still in a primitive Stone Age/Ice Age culture when elves arrived with class faerytale trappings. Exposure to them brought a degree of higher culture as well as knowledge of ironworking, stone building, and agriculture. Humans in particular were to prove remarkably adaptable; picking up quickly on the elves' style of life, although beyond their young kingdoms the land would be very wild and savage.

Anyway, good stuff, you guys!

Last edited:

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Ape-like humanoids for orcs, hobgoblins and bugbears.

In my homebrew setting, orcish races are descendents of great apes.

Never really followed the porcine look of 1st ed.

GlassJaw

Hero
The "standard" orcs in my upcoming Grim Tales campaign are much less savage than normal. Humans and orcs put aside there racial enmity long ago (for reasons unknown...) and live relatively side by side. Orcs are much more nomadic however and rarely settle in one place for long.

As far as what they look like, I actually picture them closer to the PHB half-orcs, with half-orcs being being slightly closer to human.

There is also a much more violent race of orc which are similar to the LotR orcs.

qstor

Adventurer
I like Todd Lockwoods orcs from the covers of the Hunters Blade trilogy of books. I voted for the LOTR movie orcs though. All of the choices were good. I love orcs as bad guys :)

Mike

The_Universe

First Post
Kaplah! Zug zug!

Interesting - my orcs are also a cross between Warcraft Orcs and Klingons. Societally, like klingons with more of a shamanistic bent, and physically very much like Warcraft Orcs.

It seems that the use of one or the other (AND the combination) is more common than I would have anticipated.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads