What does a paladin do (or should be doing)?

IanB

First Post
And a cleric can do that in 3.x and 4e too. And considering the Next Moradin cleric can keep up with the Fighter very nicely, I'm still thoroughly unconvinced.

Again, you can't decide for yourself what is and isn't a cleric and then say "See, that's different from a paladin!", especially when a cleric can, in fact, do what you say it can't.

This goes double for saying what is and isn't the focus of the fighter especially when said focus ("chivalric") has absolutely no game mechanics whatsoever and is completely a backstory-based on. Want a chivalric fighter? I'll use the knight background and play him up as Sir Gawin with a strict moral code. Want divine? Put in a theme similar to the Magic User theme to give low-level access to divine spells.

I've yet to see a single convincing argument for why the Moradin cleric is not a paladin. Only thing I can find is the lack of the "magic horsie" and frankly, that's the power of paladins I almost always ignored because it doesn't work in a dungeon-based game and the mounted combat rules are almost always a cast iron pain in the ass.

Erm, I was responding to your point about early editions of the game; yes, the cleric can do those things in later editions of the game, but then the paladin has other different abilities. I think you moved the goalposts on me a little.

Abstruse

Legend
For me the paladin is something like a divine PR stunt. Or to put it less blunt, a rallying point for the forces of good and law under divine patronage.

This view was formed by some of the abilities seen on Paladins:

{Cut out to avoid a massively overlong post, please see original}

The paladin should share many qualities with clerics, they are both divine, but manifest them in a completely different way.
A lot of those virtues don't apply to several of the gods of the various D&D worlds. Remember, this is a polytheistic game and that divine powers come from actual gods who intervene in life frequently. Charisma wouldn't be a big factor for a god of dwarves or orcs. The paladins of a neutral or evil god wouldn't smite evil. Same goes for what you say about "righteousness", as a god of freedom surely wouldn't want such a person as his/her warrior. Same for a god of secrets and lies wanting anything to be "revealed" as you said.

Not a spellcaster? Sorry, in 1st-3.x I see a little chart that says "spells per day" in the paladin's class description. Want to call them prayers for roleplaying purposes? Go ahead. You're doing the exact same thing that all divine characters did in 4e, from clerics to paladins to avengers to invokers.

Until you can show me a paladin class that A) would work just as well for a follower of Melora, Avandra, and Pelor as they would for Bahamut, Lolth, or Kord and B) has enough distinction and variation to warrant being something other than a specialized melee build of cleric, you're not going to convince me that it needs to be a separate class.

Abstruse

Legend
Erm, I was responding to your point about early editions of the game; yes, the cleric can do those things in later editions of the game, but then the paladin has other different abilities. I think you moved the goalposts on me a little.
My goalposts only moved about an hour ago when I remembered something else that's always bothered me about the paladin class. My original goalpost still hasn't been met.

1) Explain to me how a paladin has enough distinction and variation to warrant being something other than a specialized melee build of cleric, you're not going to convince me that it needs to be a separate class.

2) Show me a paladin class that would work equally well with any god or goddess from the D&D pantheon. (this is the new one)

Paladins are "holy knights in shining armor". Change away from that and it's no longer a paladin. That makes the archetype very rigid and therefore better suited to a specialized build or class + theme combination than a stand-alone glass.

Every D&D world save Dark Sun, Dragonlance during a few of the parts of its history, and maybe few others are polytheistic worlds with multiple deities. Some like Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms have hundreds. Paladins as the archetype represented in D&D over the years has almost constantly been that of the Christian Knight. With the exception of 4th edition pre-Essentials but that's a different beast altogether because of the interaction of power source, role, and secondary role. The real-world folklore/myth/historical archetype of the paladin makes little sense in the D&D world except as followers of a very few of the various gods, and even those would have clerics that are very Paladin-like (Bahamut being the foremost example). I don't want to have to do the mental gymnastics to make those two ideas mesh anymore.

I'd like to see it this way:

How I'd Like the PHB to Look said:
Primary Classes: These appear in almost every setting, and form the basis of the game.
Cleric
Fighter
Rogue
Wizard

Special Classes: These are iconic to D&D, but might not appear in every setting. Though you could attempt to mimic their powers by combining other classes and various themes and feats, each of these classes contains some special trait that defines them. For rangers it's their unmatched talents at exploration in the wilderness. For monks it's supernatural abilities that make their bodies deadly weapons. For paladins, it's the faith, oath, and code that guides and protects them.

These classes are part of D&D history, and they have important roles in many D&D settings, but for your own settings you might change some of their details. A shining pure knight guided by a god might have no place in the godless sands of Athas, and the ascetic philosophies of monks would be out of place in the dark horrors of Ravenloft.

For each of these classes, we present a few options for how they can fit into other settings. Maybe in your world paladins must simply embody any ideal -- like liberty or tyranny -- instead of just honor and justice. Or perhaps instead of protectors of the wilderness, rangers in your world might use their talents to ransack civilization.

KesselZero

First Post
There's often an argument that the paladin was created out of whole cloth for D&D, that it has no literary or mythical precedent. I'm not sure I agree with this, and other examples have been given, but the ones I think of are always Lancelot and Galahad. I'll admit up-front that my Round Table knowledge comes almost totally from The Once and Future King, but I understand that cleaves pretty closely to Malory and anyway, I'm sure EGG et al read their T.H. White and it counts as a literary source as much as anything.

Lancelot and Galahad are definitely not fighter/clerics. Aside from the fact that a cleric was something quite different in both actual history and the Arthur myths, their power comes not from a special communion with a god or God in which they beseech him/her/it for spells. Rather they're the absolute ideals of knighthood and chivalry. Lancelot is tricked into losing his virginity and is crushed because he loses his power to perform miracles along with it. Galahad is destined to win the Holy Grail and is described as the best knight in the world. Not because he's necessarily the best fighter but because he's the most pure. I think this is the archetype that the original paladin rules attempted to emulate-- talented knight, ability to work miracles (i.e. laying on of hands), extremely strict code of conduct (which if broken meant a loss of your powers, a la Lancelot). The code of conduct is the source of power, because it represents a holy purity and innate connection to the divine rather than the cleric's prayer-and-ritual based one. Clerics are theoreticians of the gods; paladins live their virtues.

In a pantheistic setting this concept must be expanded outward from the Christian virtues expounded in the Grail legends. Perhaps a paladin of Moradin may never back down from a fight and always party hard. Or maybe paladins should be restricted to LG gods only to emulate the original archetype. I'm not sure, and I'd be okay either way (though I tend towards giving more options, not fewer). But to me, a paladin is an embodiment of virtue whose power comes from his innate spiritual purity. He loses his powers if his code is broken. This is the archetypal and unique space that I believe paladins, and not clerics, can and should fill.

Abstruse

Legend
There's often an argument that the paladin was created out of whole cloth for D&D, that it has no literary or mythical precedent. I'm not sure I agree with this, and other examples have been given, but the ones I think of are always Lancelot and Galahad. I'll admit up-front that my Round Table knowledge comes almost totally from The Once and Future King, but I understand that cleaves pretty closely to Malory and anyway, I'm sure EGG et al read their T.H. White and it counts as a literary source as much as anything.

Lancelot and Galahad are definitely not fighter/clerics. Aside from the fact that a cleric was something quite different in both actual history and the Arthur myths, their power comes not from a special communion with a god or God in which they beseech him/her/it for spells. Rather they're the absolute ideals of knighthood and chivalry. Lancelot is tricked into losing his virginity and is crushed because he loses his power to perform miracles along with it. Galahad is destined to win the Holy Grail and is described as the best knight in the world. Not because he's necessarily the best fighter but because he's the most pure. I think this is the archetype that the original paladin rules attempted to emulate-- talented knight, ability to work miracles (i.e. laying on of hands), extremely strict code of conduct (which if broken meant a loss of your powers, a la Lancelot). The code of conduct is the source of power, because it represents a holy purity and innate connection to the divine rather than the cleric's prayer-and-ritual based one. Clerics are theoreticians of the gods; paladins live their virtues.

In a pantheistic setting this concept must be expanded outward from the Christian virtues expounded in the Grail legends. Perhaps a paladin of Moradin may never back down from a fight and always party hard. Or maybe paladins should be restricted to LG gods only to emulate the original archetype. I'm not sure, and I'd be okay either way (though I tend towards giving more options, not fewer). But to me, a paladin is an embodiment of virtue whose power comes from his innate spiritual purity. He loses his powers if his code is broken. This is the archetypal and unique space that I believe paladins, and not clerics, can and should fill.
Lancelot and Galahad were definitely not paladins either. I'd give you some literary examples, but honestly the only real example that pops into my head at the moment is Michael Carpenter from the Dresden Files novels...and Jim Butcher's a big gamer.

Restricting paladins to LG is something hands down I will fight tooth and nail. I may not like the class and may not want it to be considered a "core" class, but in a polytheistic setting where the gods are frequently antagonistic to one another and fight via proxies on the physical world, every deity would have holy warriors of some type. First step to making a paladin class I won't hate is making it flexible enough that any deity can have a paladin without too much mental gymnastics to make it fit. Second and last step is to make the paladin unique enough from the cleric and/or fighter with a divine theme to make it useful as a class.

Abstruse

Legend
Because "knight in shining armor" is a classic fantasy archetype, and a lot of people want to play one..
"Knight in shining armor" isn't followed with "...and brings the wrath of God with him" in the fairy tales.

And yes, for the record, a fighter or cleric or fighter/cleric can have all the fluff of a paladin. It's called "backstory" and "roleplaying". I'd be thrilled if I ever saw someone playing a paladin to character. It's either "Lawful Stupid" or nothing but random justifications for actions.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Why bother separating a rogue and a fighter? They are both people who use skills, don't use magic, and stab things. They use the exact same mechanics with differing amounts of proficiency for everything.

Because it's about emulating an archetype without having to master the system. That's the entire point of classes: They are pre-packaged things that anyone can pick up and hit the ground running with. It doesn't matter if we have a "fighter/wizard" or a "fighter/cleric" and a fighter, wizard, and cleric. So long as they are all playable, fun, and facilitate the imagination.

Sometimes I wonder if the people here are considering the newbies.

BobTheNob

First Post
As far as this debate goes (and this aint the only thread...) I was in the "paladin re-producable, therefore doesnt need its own class". My perception was that niche classes should be achievable, but not necessarily represented as classes.

I have read the arguments. Putting aside the strength of the points put forward, the impression I get is that alot of people really do want the paladin as a class unto itself (and the ranger for that matter). So whilst the arguments havent TOTALLY won me over on their merit alone, the sheer overwhelming number of people who support paladins, rangers and other fringes classes as classes unto themselves convinces me to change my position.

I think I will support fringe classes as classes. After all, who am I to tell other people how to enjoy their game?

Remove ads