Unearthed Arcana What does Unearthed Arcana need?

I'm looking to 1) fill PHB class shortfalls (i.e. Ranger, Monk, sorc, Druid), 2) new builds to play [melee sorc, Holy sorc, holy warlock] and 3) new options for current characters (new Feats, weapons, armor, spells)

Frankly, I need more character options. I've built and played nearly everything that interests me and is effective. I'm looking forward to: a favored soul, the rangers and barbs already previewed. New feats are great but we definitely need new +1 ability feats to disincent human domination. More finesse weapons would also help with rapier domination.

Finally, a few sorc only spells and metamagic abilities could help differentiate and strengthen sorcs. Monks could use better ki abilities and battle master more maneuver options.

Last edited:

I mean, that is a spell-less Paladin, sure. Not what I'm looking for, though.

What are you looking for a spell-less paladin to be able to do that isn't incorporated in that? Other than maybe add a few additional channel divinity bonuses, I admit I'm having trouble coming up with anything that really feels particularly paladiny.

Xeviat

Hero
What are you looking for a spell-less paladin to be able to do that isn't incorporated in that? Other than maybe add a few additional channel divinity bonuses, I admit I'm having trouble coming up with anything that really feels particularly paladiny.

Change smite to a per short in some fashion. Smite options beyond just damage (to replace smite spells). Give them some kind of blessing to give to allies. Possibly more lay on hands.

Yeah, I'm suggesting converting some spells into short rest abilities, about on track with what half Warlock levels would grant. It has the same function while feeling more mystical and less magical.

A magicless paladin would be more of a leader fighter, likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapnZapp

Legend
What does Unearthed Arcana need?
  • An article that acknowledges how Stealth is just borked and suggests possible alternatives, clearly marked as prioritizing verisimilitude, ease of gameplay or class balance
  • An article that acknowledges the tool proficiency malarkey and provides suggested solutions. Preferably retools the entire subsystem so that proficiency from skill and tool becomes easy, clear and consistent
  • An article that acknowledges the Perception/Investigation imbalance and tells us what the designers were smoking
  • An article that acknowledges how monsters got the short straw on skills, and how it can be trivial to build a character that completely outclasses monsters skillswise
  • An article that acknowledges how Intelligence has become this edition's red-headed stepchild, and offers tweaks to remedy that
  • An article that acknowledges that save DCs skyrocket compared to save bonuses, and suggests ways to avoid asking players to make saving throws they can't make even on a 20

CapnZapp

Legend
And oh, one more!

What does Unearthed Arcana need?
  • An article that acknowledges how hand use rules were just imported from 3rd edition with no real thought behind it. Hand use is in my opinion a foul kludge. It is way more intricate than any 5E rule should be. It is needlessly complicated - something much simpler would do the job just fine.
Just tell us what items you can and can't use while you fight with the common "configurations" and leave the rest to the individual DM rulings.

The current rules just invites abusive nonsense where you argue things like "I let go for a moment between swings to have a hand free to use for other stuff" or "I drop the weapon, do this other thing, then pick up the weapon again. Each round."

For instance:

"Fighting using a twohanded weapon requires two hands - you have no hands free from the point you start swinging, during every round you make at least one attack, until the combat is over. Until you make any attack in a round, you may declare you release your grip with one hand, but can then generally not use your weapon for any attacks (including opportunity attacks) until the start of your next round. Unless it has the versatile property.

Fighting using two onehanded weapons requires two hands - you have no hands free. You cannot let go of either unless you declare you drop one or both (not an action) or you stow them (as an action). Picking up a weapon counts as one attack (no free "object interactions" to abuse)

While you fight using one onehanded weapon and a shield you have no hands free. You may drop or stow the weapon as above, but the shield is tied to your arm and takes time to doff. [Feel free to introduce small +1 shields (but not 3E-style bucklers) that can be dropped - and disarmed, but not stowed - as fast as a weapon]

While you climb or hold onto a ledge, a rope etc you have no hands free (unless you are a swashbuckler or have the Athlete feat). At the start of each turn you may release your grip. If you do, you can't make any climb checks until the start of your next turn, and may suffer other consequences unless you are on safe ground. When your hands are free, you may initiate a climb or hold if you have not used them during your turn. (You can't make your attacks, then climb/hold; repeat each round)

While you carry somebody or something heavy, you have no hands free. At the start of each turn, you may release your grip as above.

While you fight with one onehanded weapon, you have one hand free.

While you fight with an arcane focus, you generally have one hand free. Some arcane focuses require two hands to hold. Some arcane focuses double up as a weapon.
While you fight with a druidic focus, you generally have one hand free. Some druidic focuses require two hands to hold. Some druidic focuses double up as a weapon.
While you fight with a holy symbol (a divine focus), you can hold it in hand or inscribe it on your shield (requiring one hand), but you may also wear it visibly - this usage requires no hands.
While you fight with a music instrument (a bardic focus), you generally have one hand free. Some music instruments require two hands to play.

Supplying material components require one hand. If you are using a focus, you don't need to supply non-costly material components.

Supplying somatic components require (at least) one hand. This can be the same hand wielding a focus, unless that focus is especially unwieldy (a DM can rule a heavy rod or a shield prevents you from using that hand to provide somatic components). Some caster traditions require more body parts for somatic components.

Using a focus generally still does not prevent you from supplying any components even if it requires two hands. Consider this an exception to the general rule, although Dungeon Masters can still rule that casting a spell with a costly material component using a two-handed spell focus has a casting time of a full round (to account for the fact the caster has no hand free to supply the costly material component with).

A free hand can be used for a wide variety of utility functions: providing illumination (by holding and directing a torch or a lantern), holding something else (perhaps a book or a key), or to supply components, ammunition or thrown weapons.

The DM should feel free to require a free hand when a character is traversing difficult terrain (slippery or unsteady ground, close to a perilous fall, etc) to avoid getting disadvantage on any dexterity related checks or saves.

Especially at low levels, at least one hand free per three party members (that require light) should be allocated to provide illumination. Party members with no individual control over a source of illumination should be considered easier to ambush."​

---

Designer Notes: this makes it clear that while you are cleaving Orcs with your greataxe, you aren't using your hands for anything else.

Everything in one place. No need to scour several different rules passages. No need to compare rules from different chapters. The rules clearly tell you what you can expect, instead of making you piece together a puzzle from many different places.

Any hand usage that feels realistic is okay, provided the DM agrees. No counting and maximizing "object interactions".

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sooo, not sure if this fits precisely, but [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] was asking on Twitter yesterday if Torog (a 4E Dawn War god, per Google) should stay a god or be turned into a Demon Lord, since he is doing work with Torog right now.

This is probably Cleric related, going by the alphabet, but it makes me wonder: is the new book going to go into support for other D&D settings, like the Dawn War or Eberron...? Somebody mentioned getting a Dark Sun vibe from one of the UA Bard classes this week, could be a trend...

NiClerigo

Adventurer
Sooo, not sure if this fits precisely, but @mearls was asking on Twitter yesterday if Torog (a 4E Dawn War god, per Google) should stay a god or be turned into a Demon Lord, since he is doing work with Torog right now.

This is probably Cleric related, going by the alphabet, but it makes me wonder: is the new book going to go into support for other D&D settings, like the Dawn War or Eberron...? Somebody mentioned getting a Dark Sun vibe from one of the UA Bard classes this week, could be a trend...
I really hope this is true, since non-FR settings are so neglected in this edition that it is the one with the less worlds diversity of all the D&D editions. Mearls once replied to me on Twitter that an Unearthed Arcana Rogue archetype entitled Inquisitive was drafted with Eberron in mind. One can hope...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
[MENTION=57494]Xeviat[/MENTION] has some good ideas.

Others:
Channel Divinity: abillity to be guided by their faith to a place where they are needed, or to a person, etc. if you've read the Dresden books, Michael does this.
CD: Some manner of Rebuke abillity against supernatural evil that isn't a smite. I gave my "Hunter of necromancers" warlock the ability to deal damage to the person controlling a summoner or animated enemy, thus forcing concentration checks for a lot of them, and proficiency with the ability check associated with any spell, such as dispel magic.

A holy artifact of some kind. Create a short list, and have each have upgrade benefits as you level up. Like a holy sword or shield or maille shirt, etc.

a leadery abillity or two. Lead the charge kind of stuff, and/or symbol of hope type deal.

Im sure if we started a thread we could fill pages with ideas and discussion of how to execute them.

Sooo, not sure if this fits precisely, but @mearls was asking on Twitter yesterday if Torog (a 4E Dawn War god, per Google) should stay a god or be turned into a Demon Lord, since he is doing work with Torog right now.

I would go with demon lord. In general, I liked the 4e gods (mostly the cream of the crop of various settings), but "God of torture" is just trying too hard. Plus in 4e, he was basically just the Underdark Tarrasque. No grand plans to foil, just a big problem if you run into him.

Remove ads