Critical Role [+] What does Wildemount do that Forgotten Realms doesn't?

gyor

Legend
The Realms is massive and at different times, different politican issues have been there - so you can do almost anything in it. However, I find it too much. Smaller worlds suit me better, so most of my settings have three or four heavily populated areas (the size of a FR Kingdom) and then a lot of ruined spaces with sprce populations.

The best way to deal with that if you want is to just focus on a region, like grab the Moonshae Isles book or the Border Kingdoms, and use those, most of the time you can just ignore what else is happening in the Forgotten Realms.

teitan

Legend
As a fan of Nentir Vale I think that Wildemount out PoLands the Vale. It's a classic style setting tinged with darkness. People comparing it to FR I am unsure if they have read an FR book or the Wildemount book but there are a lot of differences and more than just cosmetic. Maybe Tal'dorei as a FR like setting but Wildemount has its own identity. Many aspects seem more eastern European than the FR's Western European bent which is actually pretty significant as the East & West were markedly different. It has a pre-Renaissance feel, right on the cusp, with the Dwendalian Empire reminiscent of the Holy Roman Empire. The Kryn Dynasty also feels very unique, nothing really comparing to an Earth culture and the approach is very cool with the Beacons and reincarnation ideas. The Menagerie Coast is very Caribbean vs FR's Sea of Fallen Stars which seems more Mediterranean if I recall correctly. The approaches to races and cultures is fascinating as well. The Kryn Dynasty is ruled by Drow, sure sure but they aren't our typical Drow but they are and how they handled that is inspired.

What's really cool is that the integration of classic D&D tropes, like Vecna and the other GH deities from the Dawn War pantheon, isn't jacked. Mercer approaches it in a very organic way and the cults are handled in interesting ways as well with Warlock Patronage and Clerical domains.

All this adds up to it not feeling like a kitchen sink FR style D&D setting.

Coroc

Hero

- I personally dislike most Ed Greenwood-style names (Jalantyr Mistgem, Sildar Hallwinter, Kelemvor Lyonsbane, etc.). If, like me, you feel these names are like nails on a chalkboard, then Wildemount is mercifully (mostly) free of them.

No offense and in the end it is a bit of a matter of taste, but "Forgotten Realms / Faerun" sounds much better and poetic to me (non native English speaker) than "Wildemount"

"Wildemount" sounds like "Stormwind" /"Hawkeye" /"Stonehold" /"Bigriver" /"Greentree" etc. I hope you get what I mean, it just sounds like a (again no offense, it is the best way to describe it I do not know much about Wildemount and I do not want to downtalk it) 12 year old who is asked to name some fantasy riding animal.

Consider Cormyr. If it gets attacked it is by evil orcs, or devious Thayan plots. But if you compare it to real world history, countries that where big on knights existed in an almost perpetual state of low level warfare with neighbouring countries, because that is how knights generated their wealth. Where is the England to Cormyr's France?

Coroc

Hero
Consider Cormyr. If it gets attacked it is by evil orcs, or devious Thayan plots. But if you compare it to real world history, countries that where big on knights existed in an almost perpetual state of low level warfare with neighbouring countries, because that is how knights generated their wealth. Where is the England to Cormyr's France?
yea but there were no mages or clerics IRL, which easily compensate for your rivaling group of knight.

once more it shows that d&d ain't no simulation

Remove ads