Level Up (A5E) [+] What features should a "Advanced 5E" have?

Razz0putin

Explorer
I've thought a but more about my personal list, and this is what I came up with. This is just cherry picking some things that appeal to me personally.
  • 100% backwards compatibility with the 5E game you already have
  • A new Immortal tier (levels 20-30)
  • Fully developed exploration pillar, including journey rules
  • Flexible character options and development at every level
  • A new approach to your character's heritage
  • Martial maneuvers to add more depth to combat
  • A simple deadliness toggle to switch between Cinematic and Gritty playstyles
  • Varied weapons with a wide range of properties
  • A ranger without magic and a full warlord class
  • Followers and strongholds
Yeah, this would go a long way to making the game better. As an old mystaran player I quite like the immortal tier (not that I've ever played anything like that). It's cool that it is an option.

G

Guest 6801328

Reading this thread, I keep seeing several categories of suggestions that I think are off-base:
  1. Those that are really just wishes for it to be more like previous editions.
  2. Those that come from somebody's wish list for an RPG, but aren't really D&D
  3. Those that are just 5e but with more options.
I think an "Advanced 5e" needs to adhere to the spirit of D&D 5e, but loosening up (somewhat) on the design goal of making it simple and accessible.

Some examples (not all of which I'm necessarily advocating for)
  • More complex initiative/turn order system
  • More complex concentration rules
  • More tactical combat options
  • Some kind of accounting system that gates when short/long rests can happen
  • More uses for hit dice
  • A more mechanistic system for generating Inspiration, and maybe more uses for Inspiration
  • Increasing the complexity of class/subclass features, without really changing their spirit. For example, making some features more powerful, but on a resource rather than at-will, or making them come with a trade-off.
  • New character creation methods (e.g. attribute generation, or a system where you can take special bonuses in return for also taking flaws.)
I think a litmus test for success would be if a given campaign could freely switch between regular and advanced rules using the same characters.

Also, if @Morrus & Co. are planning to release an "Advanced 5e" book, it's going to sell a bazillion copies.

Last edited by a moderator:

aco175

Legend
This list does appear to be in the category of not pleasing all the people all the time. There are a bunch of good ideas of improving 5e and some that may make a 6e rather than improving 5e.

I like the move with monsters being more a 4e flavor with different types and powers. I agree that most need a boost of some kind to be meatier. I would like a better multi-classing system.

There was an earlier post in another thread that mentioned taking another class at 3rd level and gaining a level each time you gain a class power. This would mean that by the time you are 9th level you would be something like a 9/3 or 9/4 split with your other class.

I like changing the weapon system to make racial weapons and even adding a few types of weapon classes. Maybe come up with a rapier option/fix.

Magic item options that scale or let you keep your chosen weapon so if I make a axe fighter and the DM never has a axe item, only swords, I can still do something with axes. Maybe even do something with the item limits but not make it so much 3e/4e where items scaled and such.

Feats were great in 3e until they became a glut. I like racial feats and class feats. I can even see feat trees/tax under certain situations.

One of the musts needs to be something with the lack of GP spending and that could be item making or stronghold options.

aco175

Legend
In this logo, can you change the 'v' and the 'e' to more of a 5e look so it looks like the D&D logo more- without copywrite problems, just a play on fonts. An earlier poster made the 5e with the roman Ve. Not sure how many people would get it though
1596993781062.png

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I would love to have heavy armor be worth it as a mechanical choice. Right now, a high DeX character can easily reach the same AC as plate with the high gp cost and disadvantage to stealth checks. Maybe add damage reduction or resistance?
I personally would prefer a game where to hit would be rolled against 10 +Dex and damage would be reduced by armour. That would not be a 5e game

Speaking of idiotic.

The Wisdom ability is idiotic.

Having good eyesight has zero relationship to having strong willpower. Utterly unrelated.

Did you know 5e hawks and panthers are "wiser" than humans?

And none of it actually has to do with reallife "wisdom", which is expertise, or intuition and discernment, more like Investigation, or Lore checks.

Wisdom is inherently Aristotelian (Nicomachean Ethics, book 2). It's less about perception and more about seeing the world as it really is. Likewise, willpower is a mixture of Aristotelian bravery and temperance.

Remove ads