Level Up (A5E) [+] What features should a "Advanced 5E" have?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
(If you're not interested in the concept of an Advanced 5E, this thread isn't for you. Move along. Nothing to see here!)

I used "Advanced" just because AD&D did. That doesn't mean better, but it sounds better than "Crunchy 5E". The working title I have in mind is the '6th World System'.

If you ARE interested in the idea of an Advanced 5E - 5E with a bit more crunch - what features would you want to see in it?

Asking for a friend who is me who might make it.

Last edited:

Honestly?

Fix the six ability score system, so each ability is crystal clear, mutually exclusive, and balanced with the other abilities. Wis is the most incoherent. Dex the most overpowered.

Probably reorganize into 4 abilities. Whatever the number, focus on usefulness during gameplay.

Something like:

• Tough
• Athletic
• Perceptive
• Social

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
First and foremost: A formatting and language cleanup.

The current format where an unarmed strike is a "melee weapon attack" that doesn't actually use a "melee weapon" isn't doing anyone any favors when trying to learn or run the game.

Secondly: All Sublasses at level 1. Waiting till level three for subclasses was an enticing idea (mostly to prevent MC cheese) but by now we have seen the limitations of that particular system. Having some entry level yet defining features at level one, with the real meat-and-potatoes powers around level four, would accomplish the same effect, but also allow people to start playing the character they want to play immediately. Even more importantly it prevents that weirdness where you play as a generic whatever for a while only to suddenly and dramatically alter the way your character plays.

Xeviat

Hero
  • Combat Maneuvers, allowing for customization of martials on the same order as casters
  • Expanded and detailed uses for skills
  • Variant skill proficiency system, so it isn't all or nothing
  • Expanded feat system, so feats are a baseline option
  • More complex monsters

Are you taking applications to work on this? I've been working on something similar.

Remove ads