What game system have you tried that made you go WOW!

coyote6

Adventurer
Transhuman Space - Lots of GURPS source books impress me, but this one impressed me the most.

Speaking of GURPS -- GURPS wowed me, itself. But I'll point out another pair of David Pulver's settings: Technomancer and Reign of Steel. I never quite played either one, but I ripped off lots from both, have read both a few times, and still want to run something in those settings one day.

The penguins in Technomancer are hilarious.

diaglo

Adventurer
if we exclude D&D and all of its clones and variants. (i am including all of the TSR stuff in this and other companies with knockoffs and such)

then:

Paranoia

and

Dread

Thanee

First Post
For those who have chosen Savage Worlds, I think from your posts that this is a game that I will probably pick up next. I keep hearing nothing but oodles of good stuff and would like to give it a try.

And that's because the game is incredibly good. :)

I only didn't include it in my list, since I already included its "1st edition" (Deadlands is the game, Savage Worlds was derived from).

Bye
Thanee

kitsune9

Adventurer
And that's because the game is incredibly good. :)

I only didn't include it in my list, since I already included its "1st edition" (Deadlands is the game, Savage Worlds was derived from).

Bye
Thanee

I played one game of Deadlands at a con once. Had a really good time and the GM had a replica 1800's card deck that he used. I think my character had a hand gatling gun. Fun times! ;)

Bregh

Explorer
Mayfair's DC Heroes' RPG, in any edition. Still my favourite RPG. The first two boxed sets had incredible content (at unbelievable value, really) and the system let you go anywhere and do just about anything, from Gotham alleys to the 30th Century, all with the same Characters, if you were so inclined. Sourcebook support was second to none, and though a few of the modules were lacklustre in terms of plot, the sheer volume of stuff that came out meant there were always gems to to found, even in the rough (and the modules that were good, were really, really good).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wild Talents impressed me, but Truth & Justice is still my favorite superhero system. It (T&J) is pitch-perfect at simulating superhero comics from the mid-1960s and after.

And since I mentioned the One-Roll Engine with Wild Talents, I should bring up Reign. ORE is easily the best traditional dice pool system I've had for face-to-face play, since it can encode a ton of fast-to-read information into a single roll. Reign goes above and beyond the standard ORE mechanic by adapting it to abstracted group-level actions (e.g., war, corporate action, chorus line dance-offs), but still allowing the PCs to significantly affect the outcomes of these larger-scale actions.

You should check out Monsters and Other Childish Things if you liked that system!

Remove ads