• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Generation of D&D are you?

What Generation of D&D Player are you?

• 1st Generation (1971-1973)

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 2nd Generation (1976-1979)

Votes: 229 57.0%
  • 3rd Generation (1985-1987)

Votes: 125 31.1%
  • 4th Generation (2000-present)

Votes: 40 10.0%

Intermagus

First Post
I suppose the approach for those that didn't fall directly into the timeframes would be to opt for the rules set you started in, prior to the next entry.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I started with OD&D in 1982 and am still playing with two of my original players from that group.

We are "celebrating" our 20 years of gaming this year (in November) by breaking out my copy of the OD&D rules and playing through a couple of modules (Keep on the Borderlands most likely to start)

derverdammte

Explorer
I started with the red Basic set (before it got all big and cheesy) back in 1986 or so, but I didn't start playing regularly until '93-'94 or so.

You know, I ran into some 16 year olds who were bragging about being veteran gamers, and they started playing with Player's Option rules. It's pathetic. I don't get the whole "veteran gamer" thing as a badge of status, anyway.

Margaiaman

First Post
Not alone

I too am one of those new to D&D in the sense that I have never truely played any of the previous editions. I had seen the older stuff but was way turned off by it. Then again I'd always been sort of running my own game system since I was in sixth grade so *shrug* of course none of them are as cool as my own. *wink*

Ferret

Explorer
I started with Baldurs gate 1, then 2. I've been in1 campaign for about a month. Thats 2ed, 2.5 edition and 3rd edition, I'd say 3ed generation

EOL

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:
I first played D&D in 1980. I remember going out and buying the PH with my own hard earned money (I was 13 and delivered newspapers). I soon bought a DMG and a MM and began running my own game. IIRC, that was a very Monty Haul campaign. But it was loads of fun for a bunch of kids. My games are nothing like those anymore, but they are still loads of fun. I guess that is all that matters. :D

Thanks Gary.
Sounds a lot like me, as I recall it was '81 I'd gotten the red box for christmas, but I desperately wanted to play AD&D. I managed to get the PHB as another gift, but I had to save up for the DMG, as I recall it took forever, so much so that I started having dreams about it (I was an obsessive kid). But I finally got the money and I don't know if any purchase has ever been more sweet...

Garmorn

Explorer
Your poll is not going to be very good. I voted 2nd since 80 and 1st ed is when I actualy got a group. You listed wargames as first generation; I started with them way back in the late 60's around the age of 10.

Knightcrawler

First Post
Between Generations

Well I started playing D&D with the old red Basic box in 1982, then cam the ble Expert set, the green Companion set, the black Master set, and finally the Immortal set (can't remeber what color that was for the life of me).

Found AD&D 1ed around 1984 a and have gone through all the incarnations and changes since then. So many years, so much money, so many friends, and one hell of a good time.

Knightcrawler
PCGen LST Monkey :D

evildm

Explorer
I started with 2e in 1992. Regardless of the actual year, I answered the 3rd Gen, cause that was the game I started with.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads