D&D 4E What has you excited about 4e?

AllisterH

First Post
re: Mass Battle

While D&D does occasionally have mass battle scenarios, honestly though, given a choice between Stormwreck (an accessory focused on naval/underwater adventuring), Sandstorm (an accessory focused on Desert adventuring), Frostburn (an accessory dealing with arctic adventuring) and Heroes of Battle (somewhat focused on mass battle scenarios/situations), most DMs/players are going to buy the books in the following manner.

Stormwreck
Sandstorm/Frostburn
Heroes of Battle

I've seen/read/played in more adventures where Stormwreck would be a good accessory much more so than either Sahara/North pole adventures which themselves seem to be WAY more common than mass battle scenarios.

This is going to come off a little strange but here goes....

I stopped played D&D a few years ago - when I did some game-style and mostly mechanical analysis and figured out exactly what D&D (in any incarnation) was giving me that I didn't get from other Fantasy RPGs. I get roleplaying and great character moments from every game I play, so it had to be mechanical.

I like feats, I like class abilities, I like myriad of classes, I like a lot of the spells. For me, I really liked the "laundry list" of abilities and choices that I could get from D&D. I enjoyed all the monsters, really interesting ideas that you didn't find anywhere else (I have an entire shelf of D&D monster books - something like 30 hardcovers and as many soft). Now years ago I knew that I loved the look and feel (and style) of Rolemaster's magic system.

I play Hero, pretty much exclusively. I played D&D until the above analysis, and I started converting over all the stuff I liked about D&D into Fantasy Hero (just as I had used the Hero system to build a version of the Rolemaster spell system for my game).

So with all that preamble - I am really looking forward to 4th for the interesting ideas they bring to gameplay, to see what kind of things I like, and can add to my current Fantasy Hero game to make it better - whether it is about combat framing, or class ideas, or just a nifty feat, class ability or spell that I can use. :)

So there is your positivity - a guy that doesn't even play D&D anymore looking forward to 4E. :)

Amazing Triangle

First Post
I am looking forward to seeing the Fighter being worth playing in the higher levels.

That you get rewarded for playing your character in combat.

That they are getting rid of that whole ECL nonsense.

I love the fact that playing a race actually means something other than just +/- to stats.

I am interested to see the new mechanics as they are supposed to be simpler.

Yeah all the classes I don't play or thought were overpowered are out for the first set of core (though I am sad to see the sorcerer pushed out of the first book)

Driddle

First Post
Many things excite me, in both positive and negative ways.
(I probably don't belong in an "all positive" thread like this, but it's too late for me to fix that now. ... Just ignore this post.)

Last edited:

DandD

First Post
Driddle said:
- The death of gnomes in the PHB.
Yeah, they are going to announce in the player's handbook that all gnomes are dead.
- The reliance on four "roles" in designing classes.
Yeah, we were always told in 3rd edition that the normal party for whom the whole game was designed consisted of a Fighter, a Rogue, a Wizard and a Cleric.
- Unlimited "at-will" class abilities.
Yeah, the Paladin's class ability to detect evil, the musical buffs of the Bard and the Rogue's Sneak Attack ability were quite liked too in 3rd edition, and could be done an unlimited times per day.
Ummm. Warlocks? Talent trees?
We'll see.
I'm also glad that these 3rd edition things will continue to exist in 4th edition.

See, 4th edition isn't a revolution, it's an evolution. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases