D&D 5E What House Rules Can You NOT Live Without?

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Minor nitpick: While Rise of Tiamat erroneously referred to story-based advancement as “milestone leveling,” it is not consistent with how the DMG describes milestone XP, which is essentially just XP awards for stuff other than encounters. I actually think milestone XP as described in the DMG is great, and award it for completing quest objectives.

Unfortunately, nobody reads the DMG and Rise of Tiamat’s misuse of the term “milestones” has become standard in common parlance. I try to use the terms the way the DMG does to set an example, but at the end of the day I’m probably just yelling at clouds.

I get that; I nitpick words a lot, too!

I will state, however, that I've been using the words "milestones" with regards to leveling since 3e days; I believe I picked it up from my first DM, not even in an actual D&D game, but a different game entirely.

Looking back on it now, its crazy how much my first DM shaped my DM style. Explains a lot, as he killed my very first character the second session I joined the game.

Lots of folks talking about how they house rule starting stats. Here's how we do it in our 5th Edition Eberron campaign:
  • Characters start with a magic item from Table F
  • Use the 4d6 method
  • Add up all of the modifiers from all six ability scores we rolled.
  • If the sum of all modifiers is less than +5: the player can reroll them, or keep them and start with a feat.
  • If the sum of all modifiers is greater than +9: the player can reroll them, or keep them and forfeit their magic item
I like that. It keeps the randomness of fate in there, but at the same time it keeps everybody on somewhat equal footing.

Iry

Hero
I prefer equal footing, instead of somewhat equal footing. Point Buy/Standard Array + getting rid of the current Racial Ability Score bonuses is a great way to do this.
I like leaving it up to the dice. :)
There's a fun compromise where everyone rolls a set of stats, and then everyone can choose which set of stats to use. Even if multiple people chose the same set of stats.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
A lot of folks love the Point Buy or the Standard Array, but we don't like it all that much. The trouble we have is that everyone always has the same ability scores, and they always put them in more or less the same order. I know that some folks think that's a feature and not a bug, but we think it's dull and same-y.

Our method allows for randomness, without too much of a power spike (or gutter). I find the trick is to make them pick their starting magic item first, and then describe how they found it and why it's meaningful to their character, etc. Then the player will be somewhat attached to it before they roll ability scores. It makes them think twice about sacking it in favor of keeping those double seventeens.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
A lot of folks love the Point Buy or the Standard Array, but we don't like it all that much. The trouble we have is that everyone always has the same ability scores, and they always put them in more or less the same order. I know that some folks think that's a feature and not a bug, but we think it's dull and same-y.

Our method allows for randomness, without too much of a power spike (or gutter). I find the trick is to make them pick their starting magic item first, and then describe how they found it and why it's meaningful to their character, etc. Then the player will be somewhat attached to it before they roll ability scores. It makes them think twice about sacking it in favor of keeping those double seventeens.
But does it really matter? That wizard is still going to have their highest score in intelligence, second highest probably in con then dex (or vice versa).

In any case, we use point buy. I have no clue what my player's ability scores are. I guess I've never really cared or noticed except in the few games we rolled for stats when some people had significant better ability scores than others.

The starting magic item is an interesting idea and I get that you've come up with a method to balance it out ... if it works for you, great. I've just never understood why anyone cares about what specific number is in what specific ability.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

I'd gladly trade "possibly unbalance between characters" with "predictable ability scores". Do what works for you, though.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
But does it really matter? That wizard is still going to have their highest score in intelligence, second highest probably in con then dex (or vice versa).

In any case, we use point buy. I have no clue what my player's ability scores are. I guess I've never really cared or noticed except in the few games we rolled for stats when some people had significant better ability scores than others.

The starting magic item is an interesting idea and I get that you've come up with a method to balance it out ... if it works for you, great. I've just never understood why anyone cares about what specific number is in what specific ability.
I don't really know how to explain it...it just feels dull somehow. Repetitive, predictable. Like you're not really playing a different character, you're just dressing it up in different clothes? I dunno.

But it's okay; we found a creative solution that works for us.

Remove ads