D&D 5E What houserules do we assume is common in the community?

mamba

Legend
How would you, as a DM, feel if a player was upset that you weren't using a certain common houserule?
don’t care, at most I find it odd that someone expects for a houserule to be used at a table they were never at

Depending on the rule and how the rest of the group feels about it, maybe we add it, but I certainly feel under no obligation to

And how would you feel as a player if a DM doesn't use a houserule that you were used to?
again, don’t care. Your game, your rules

Actually I would add "no resurrections" to the list - I haven't played with it much but it comes up a lot in fora. Usually because now they have an anticlimactic pc death and they don't know how to deal with it.
Oh yeah. This one is a bit of a red flag for me. Maybe a yellow flag, it is something that makes me go "wait, double check everything else this DM is saying before you decide to play"

Laurefindel

Legend
You may want to give the option either/or. There are some corner cases where advantage before is better than reroll after (namely a rogue who wouldn’t otherwise get sneak attack damage).
That’s pretty much what we’ve been doing. It mostly became a “I want to reroll this crappy shot” or “I don’t want disadvantage on this roll” device. The advantage for sneak attack never occurred yet (or more likely, nobody though of it so far)

ECMO3

Hero
Fumbles on a nat 1 ... don't even get me started. Sadly that's been a favored house rule by some DMs since the inception of D&D and, as you state, it's just terrible for anyone that does multiple attacks per round. One of the most illogical house rules I've ever had the displeasure to endure.
The easy fix for this is to play a Halfling.

This houserule makes the Halfling the most powerful race, especially on a martial. When your DM asks why you have a party of 5 Halflings tell him, we never want to fumble but we want to take advantage of the enemy fumbling. This will tilt the game so heavily in your favor it is likely the DM will change the rule.

Hussar

Legend
I’ve seen many groups (including mine) using inspiration as a re-roll after the fact rather than advantage before roll.
Yes, this is one I've used for a long time.

Actually this is something that came up because we played online. It's hard to do things like Inspiration and whatnot - so we just ruled anything that has something like "You can reroll a roll before you know the result" is just a reroll because, well, we always know the result of rolls as soon as we make them. So Protection fighters, for example, just cause rerolls. Makes stuff slightly more powerful, I suppose, but, essentially not a problem.

Clint_L

Hero
The easy fix for this is to play a Halfling.

This houserule makes the Halfling the most powerful race, especially on a martial. When your DM asks why you have a party of 5 Halflings tell him, we never want to fumble but we want to take advantage of the enemy fumbling. This will tilt the game so heavily in your favor it is likely the DM will change the rule.
Yeah, I hate halfling luck, as well as the "lucky" feat. I think they are bad for the story and actively make the game less fun. We love natural 1s at my table.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I put a potion bottle in my mouth like a cigar at the start of every fight and pull the cork with my tongue.
I used to make jokes about "Beer Hats" for potion-drinkers.

1686883969780.png

Remove ads