D&D 5E What houserules do we assume is common in the community?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I have come to expect (sadly) that the bonus action potion rule is in effect.

I hate it.

Either it makes non-healing potions WAY better than they should be (better than the spell equivalent since they don't cost an action to use), OR the rule is hand-waved so it only applies to healing potions.

The other ones I run into (and also hate) are fumbles on a nat 1 (hint: don't ever play a fighter or a warlock in these games), and the 20 always succeeds and 1 always fails.

It's okay for a potion to be better than a spell because you can't get them back on a long rest.

My default they are special treasure.

If you have a game where the party can buy or brew potions then I could see it be a problem.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There are some popular houserules, like handwaving Ammo and carrying capacity, that the D&D community kinda assumes is common enough that if you were to walk into a random table, you could expect not to run the rules RAW.

What are those houserules and what do you think about the idea of houserules so common that you don't even ask your DM/tell your players about it?
Likely ammo and encumbrance not being tracked, torches everywhere (though it's more of a setting thing than a house rule per se), stealth just working, no tracking time, uninterruptible rests at will with zero consequences, multiclassing being used, feats being used, no race or class restrictions, bonus action potions, and "flexible" spellcasting. A lot of players seem to think 5E is a superhero RPG and that anything that restricts their power is a bad house rule by the referee. I've had players rage quit when the mold earth cantrip didn't make them a master earth bender. I still don't understand that one.
I would also like to ask:

How would you, as a DM, feel if a player was upset that you weren't using a certain common houserule?
If they make a good argument for its use and it's something I don't object to being in the game, great...it's in. If they're just mad about it and whiny, they're welcome to leave.
And how would you feel as a player if a DM doesn't use a houserule that you were used to?
It's the referee's game to run. I can ask that we use a certain house rule, but that's it. If they don't want to use it my choices are then whether to leave the table or stay. Literally no point getting upset or mad about it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't assume any of us know what's truly common. I just know that even when I go to conventions I don't remember a DM being a stickler for the whole item swapping thing.
Convention games are a different animal, however, in that often table time is very limited and thus these minor details are the first thing to get skipped.

I wouldn't use con games as any sort of barometer as to how things work in the wild.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
People actually use torches and not the light cantrip? :eek:
How light works was also houseruled to a torch be better than that. Our GM wants exploration be a thing and not a minor inconvenience waived by magic. It was... strange on the start. By now, we growth accustomed and see some merit on the changes. Perhaps not the regular D&D from most tables, but neither better or worse. Just different and fun in its own way :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I ran a surprise round zero before I realized that it wasn't a thing.

I always stop people from wanting the bonus action potion drinking by saying, "Sure. Drinking itcan be a bonus action, if it's already in your hand. But then I am going to enforce every little thing about what is in your hands. Or you can spend an action and we'll assume that you clear your hand, get the potion, drink it, store (or drop) the bottle, and get your weapon/wand back into your hand. Which would you rather? (They usually pick action potion).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We do the bonus action potion drinking. I've found that potions, and this goes back over many editions, otherwise don't usually get used because there's usually a more productive or attractive action for the character to take. It's one of my ways to encourage more shortish term, expendable magic use. I also put them in more treasure hoards.

Oofta

Legend
It seems that all the common house rules here are about ignoring rules and allowing characters to do things the rules say they can't (like cast spells with weapons and shield and read in darkness).

Are there any common house rules that go the other way?

When I DM? No. I ban a few things for thematic reasons - no resurrection, raise dead and plane shift have other requirements and so on. Those are obviously not common. It's always up to the DM to decide if we use optional rules, which includes common things like multi-classing.

I've considered house ruling sharpshooter because if feels overpowered, I know some others set limitations on it as well.

Remove ads