• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What I Miss From 1st Ed

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Also, if you're crazy enough to allow everything from Unearthed Arcana, let's not forget Color Orb, a humble 1st level spell that becomes Save or Die once your Illusionist is high enough level. It stays a 1st level spell though, so...

Yes. I generally use the spells and magic items from UA, but nothing else.

MJS

First Post
I do like the separate mu, illusionist, cleric, and druid spells, even with their overlap.
I like different XP charts.
I love High Gygaxian
but I don't miss any of it, since I play in a vibrant group (with their kids also), and run a 1E game myself.
I will mine 5E for ideas, inspiration, etc., and graft whatever I like into Gary and Dave's Most Excellent Game, which was never broken, and still rolls on...

Zardnaar

Legend
I do like the separate mu, illusionist, cleric, and druid spells, even with their overlap.
I like different XP charts.
I love High Gygaxian
but I don't miss any of it, since I play in a vibrant group (with their kids also), and run a 1E game myself.
I will mine 5E for ideas, inspiration, etc., and graft whatever I like into Gary and Dave's Most Excellent Game, which was never broken, and still rolls on...

I call it the Dave, Gary and Frank show although I do like a lot of ideas from 3rd ed and the retroclones.

Zardnaar

Legend
Which is why I explicitly said I was referring to 3.x.

Not so much you but a few others here and on the WoTC site just repeat what they heard from others in regards to older editions of D&D. SOme of the things were true I suppose but not everythign as a levle 15 wizard probably was that much better than a level 17 fighter or whatever the xp tables came out at but it was not a major problem for the game as virtually no one was actually playing those levels anyway so it was not really a major problem as such. 1st ed and BECMI were a little crazy with uncapped damage dice on spells, a level 25 wizard casting a fireball dealt 25d6 dice of damage, magic missile was 13d4+13 in 1st ed and it dealt 1d6+1 in BECMI. 2nd ed and 3rd ed capped it at 10d6 which was where I was happy with the spells being at.

In 1st eds defence it was not designed at all for high level play and epic level was really around level 10.

Remove ads