• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What innovative elements from Baldur's Gate 3 would you like to see implimented in 2024 D&D?

@Mirrorrorrim

I think the 4e point is very valid. It's almost like everyone forgot what 4e was like. I mean, I think the better question for the thread is how to make a TTRPG stand out from BG3. I believe players and DMs want these things to exist until they realize they don't. ;)

Okay. I made no mention in any way of superiority dice going anywhere. I didn’t allude to it, imply it, or wave in its general direction.

I said that using SD as the use limiter for BG3 weapon abilities is a non-starter. And it is, not just for me. Every attempt to expand on how SD can be used and who can get some of them fails to make it out of UA. Every single time.

I literally made no reference to them not being in the new phb. What the hell are you talking about? Seriously.

That’s quite readily apperent.
The thread is literally talking about porting rules from BG3 to the TTRPG. Not one of my comments has ever been about changing BG3 or me not liking BG3 mechanics as a video game. I am only talking about how mechanics work in the TTRPG. Towards that end I said that the way Superiority Dice work is better for the TTRPG design space than the BG3 weapon abilities. And you said it was a non-starter. See below.
In your final point, I believe Superiority Dice fit the limited-use design space better than weapon mastery or BG3 weapon abilities, because they do hit harder, and include a good side effect as well.

doctorbadwolf: Yeah that’s a non-starter. Have fun with that.

And regarding Weapon Mastery in the TTRPG space, we said:
Weapon Mastery abilities are at-will, cantrip-level-power abilities. They have smaller benefits, more like an edge over someone without such mastery, as opposed to a massive ability like a spell. I do believe they work as at-will powers and they are not nonsense. You may think differently.

doctorbadwolf: They make no sense. I can’t believe it’s even controversial. The way in which they make no sense doesn’t bother you, fine, but you cannot do special moves constantly all day without rest

So you absolutely wrote the things I saw you write, and I trust your original comments to reflect your opinion. I will take you at your word.

But you saying you didn't say those things turns me off this conversation. You and I are not on the same page, and I am no longer interested in going around in circles with you about this topic. Thank you, I'm out.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The thread is literally talking about porting rules from BG3 to the TTRPG. Not one of my comments has ever been about changing BG3 or me not liking BG3 mechanics as a video game.
Okay!? Who said otherwise!?
I am only talking about how mechanics work in the TTRPG. Towards that end I said that the way Superiority Dice work is better for the TTRPG design space than the BG3 weapon abilities. And you said it was a non-starter. See below.
No, I said that literally using SD to fuel general proficiency weapon abilities is a non starter. Don’t misrepresent me.
And regarding Weapon Mastery in the TTRPG space, we said:

So you absolutely wrote the things I saw you write, and I trust your original comments to reflect your opinion. I will take you at your word.
You literally read so far into those statements that you may as well have read something else entirely.

At-will special moves make no sense, and if I have a damn about that, I’d be bothered by them. Anything else you’re reading into my statements is coming from you, not me.
But you saying you didn't say those things turns me off this conversation.
I didn’t say what you claim I said. You’re still reading into my words crap that isn’t there, while repeatedly replying in such a way that I have to conclude that you didn’t take the time to actually read and understand my posts, seemingly preferring to just skim and reply to what you assume I meant.
You and I are not on the same page, and I am no longer interested in going around in circles with you about this topic. Thank you, I'm out.
When you say this while also making arguments in the same post, no one takes the bowing out seriously. Just fyi.

BrassDragon

Adventurer
Supporter
One element that strikes me as I move into Act 3 of Baldur's Gate 3 is not a mechanical thing but the consistently mature and tragic narrative tone of the game. Even though it's set in the Forgotten Realms, the notiously everything-but-the-kitchen-sink grandfather of gonzo settings, the stakes feel incrediby high and personal, there is tragedy everywhere, the evil powers are truly monstrous and acting with intelligence and purpose, and even the smallest victories feel fragile.

This is not new or unheard of, and I'm sure good DMs have been incorporating all of that for decades, but the official publications have become so much safer, light-hearted and devoid of real danger over the editions.

So this old school approach feels really refreshing to me; not because I particularly like grimdark but it makes heroism and courage, from both the main characters and NPCs, feel so much more meaningful. I needed that reminder and will be incorporating it more in my own games.

Stalker0

Legend
The short rest concept: two per long rest, but basically “immediate” (Ala 4e 5 min short rest). And no hit dice, j think get half your hitpoints.

I could see it, narratively the two limit is just showing the idea that yeah a few breaks help you patch things up, but eventually you get beat up enough that only a full rest can help you. It adds a lot more consistency for short rest classes. And she’s less rolling and tracking of hitdice. So yeah I can see it.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The short rest concept: two per long rest, but basically “immediate” (Ala 4e 5 min short rest). And no hit dice, j think get half your hitpoints.

I could see it, narratively the two limit is just showing the idea that yeah a few breaks help you patch things up, but eventually you get beat up enough that only a full rest can help you. It adds a lot more consistency for short rest classes. And she’s less rolling and tracking of hitdice. So yeah I can see it.
I would agree that it is a pretty good concept and I would go further with it and establish the concept of a camp as part of an optional travel/wilderness rules.
Basically you are in supply in any settled area but in a wilderness you need a camp to be in supply. You could partially rest out of supply but need supply for a full rest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads