D&D 5E What is a Short Rest vs a Long Rest?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As this was the first time anyone in the campaign took any damage, (the type was irrelevant), I brought up the idea of possibly modifying how natural healing would work in the current game.

I am glad it worked out for you - but such stuff really should normally be discusssed before character generation, as it can make a big difference in how folks choose to put together their characters.

I wasn't singling out any specific player/character for not wearing armor, taking damage from a piercing weapon or because the attacker intended to kill them.

But those were all things you said in in the post, seemingly trying to support/justify your choice. So, was all that text meaningless?

R_J_K75

Legend
I am glad it worked out for you - but such stuff really should normally be discusssed before character generation, as it can make a big difference in how folks choose to put together their characters.
Fair enough, but we didnt and often dont talk about this stuff beforehand. We figure it out as we go, if it proves we make the wrong choice, we'll switch back to RAW. Everyones confident that any changes will be applied fairly.
But those were all things you said in in the post, seemingly trying to support/justify your choice. So, was all that text meaningless?
No all that text wasn't meaningless. @Flamestrike, who was not at my table Friday decided that the player wasnt hit by the attack that caused the 4 points of damage. Why, who knows? I proceeded to frame the scene to explain why the character was hit not to justify why said damage would heal slower than RAW, nor did I say a piercing wound would heal slower than a slashing or bludgeoning one. But this is all off topic and feel that discussing it further is just going to detract from the thread.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
First, let me start by saying, "Yes, I know what they are mechanically" . . .

So, please be kind to your Short Rest powered classes, not only do they need their powers back, but, your characters most likely need lunch and dinner.
Just imagine working a double shift without 1 break!
Quoting that first line, because some people didn't seem to read it.

Short rest in-game: when it's safe to unstring your bow or doff your helmet.
Long rest in-game: what you do overnight, even if it's not sleeping.

Atmosphere? I am pretty sure Tolkien doesn't tell you what the breakdown of gasses is in Middle Earth's atmosphere. Maybe Middle Earth just has "air".
You think that's "air" you're breathing?
Come On GIF by HBO Max

First, let me start by saying, "Yes, I know what they are mechanically."

But, what does it mean in-game terms?
To me they are when characters stop, take a breather, sit and eat, and, if necessary triage any injuries. - Cleaning, bandaging, splinting etc.

Long rests are setting up camp, possibly building a fire and cooking, more in-depth treatment of any injuries and of course, sleeping.

I understand hit points are not "meat" and are abstract, but a 1st level character with 9 hp who sustains 4 hp of damage is going to feel it and I dont see a puncture wound healing after one night of rest. It was not a glancing blow, and they were not wearing armor deflect the strike. They were surprised by a group of rogues who attacked from the shadows, and was stabbed by a dagger. The attack was intended to send a message, and placed as such.
The next day, the character might still have had the wound, but it has been treated, and healed a little - It is still there, but it no longer is reducing the character's combat effectiveness (hit points.)

R_J_K75

Legend
The next day, the character might still have had the wound, but it has been treated, and healed a little - It is still there, but it no longer is reducing the character's combat effectiveness (hit points.)
I know how healing works in 5E, I appreciate the feedback, but Im looking to make healing from injuries slower and more than just taking a short or long rest and rolling a pool of HD to see how much damage is healed. I'll probably look into the optional rules and brainstorm with the group and see where to go from there.

I know how healing works in 5E, I appreciate the feedback, but Im looking to make healing from injuries slower and more than just taking a short or long rest and rolling a pool of HD to see how much damage is healed. I'll probably look into the optional rules and brainstorm with the group and see where to go from there.
If you come up with something good, please share. Slower natural healing seems to be a common need, but finding a way that doesn't just put extra pressure on the classes with healing spells is tricky.

Oofta

Legend
I use the alternate rules for short and long rest in my game, a short rest is overnight and a long rest is a week or more. That just makes more sense to me both from a pacing perspective and a recovery perspective.

Adventurers are kind of like professional athletes pushing themselves to their maximum, they need time to recuperate. I also assume some magical innate healing (not that the PCs realize it's magical); people in a world of magic have evolved some minor healing capability. I think of it as action movie hero healing.

But it still takes a while to really recover from all those minor wounds, strains and bruises that result in HP loss.

Primarily though, short and long rests are about pacing and balance. I found that when I used the standard rules if I wanted to get enough encounters in to balance out the classes and not have a 5 minute work day, everything had to be an over the top emergency like the TV show "24".

So I went to the alternate rules because I want to emulate something like The Dresden Files books, where everything is going fine and then it all goes boom for a few days. From a narrative approach it works better for me.

R_J_K75

Legend
If you come up with something good, please share. Slower natural healing seems to be a common need, but finding a way that doesn't just put extra pressure on the classes with healing spells is tricky.
Will do. As I mentioned above, Id been considering it, and just brought it up last session so there may be repercussions Im not considering. Also you make a good point about balance.

Remove ads