D&D (2024) What is a warlock/sorcerer without a starting patron/origin?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If you dont pick who to make a pact with, till 3rd, a warlock shouldnt even have a power though, you have no deal, no bargain, nothing.
Can't your patron be a dark mysterious figure for a bit then remove their hood and "Surprise! I'm the Devil! Mwahahaha!"

I think the first level ability will be changed to something like "Eldritch Pact". All Eldritch pack will do is give you Eldritch Blast cantrips.

At first level, you can name your patron or keep them as a hidden benefactor. Their specific style of pact doesn't come into play until level 3.

---

Same thing with the sorcerer. You might have been born with sorcery and one time you shot fire at the neighbor's cow. However when you train to become an actual true sorcerer you had to push down and bottle up most of your origin in order to control it. Not until you got to level 3, when you fully control of it, could you start digging back into your origin your draconic ancestor, an aberrant infection, inner wild magic, or a shadow taint.

In most stories, the warlock or sorcerer have to learn control first before they tap into true power. Those who quickly get into in a magic or granted powers tend to either explode or get mutated.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, but what power? Do you still have to choose a patron or origin at first level? If so, then that defeats the purpose of pushing all subclasses to third level to simplify creating a new character.
The character doesn't yet know the source of their power. At third level, they figure it out or it's presented to them.

"Ah, you enjoyed the taste of power I've fed you? Good, good, now sign right here on this extended contract ..."

(Yes, I know some folks' heads explode at this notion. It's tongue in cheek here, folks.)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The character doesn't yet know the source of their power. At third level, they figure it out or it's presented to them.

"Ah, you enjoyed the taste of power I've fed you? Good, good, now sign right here on this extended contract ..."

(Yes, I know some folks' heads explode at this notion. It's tongue in cheek here, folks.)
D&D patrons don't use the drug dealer style. It's straight lawyer.

"Too late baby. You already signed the contract. You drank the potion. Now steal me dem babies! Or I'll send my other employees and attorney after you."

If classes which currently start with their subclass at first level, such as warlocks, wizards and sorcerers, have their subclass choice moved to third, what would theses classes even look like their first couple of levels?

Wizards are pretty easy, as one who hasn’t specialized yet is still a recognizable student of the arcane arts.

But what about a warlock? If the idea is to remove the “blocker” of extra choices like cleric domains from initial character creation, the. What does that mean for selecting a patron? One could argue a warlock’s patron is a more mechanically important decision than a cleric’s deity, since their domain subclass choice can be selected independently of their deity, since one deity can have multiple domains. But choice of a patron dictates a warlock’s powers directly, closely followed by Pact selection.

So, what even is a warlock without a patron yet?

Same for a sorcerer. Their subclass is literally called “sorcerous origin”. What exactly is such a character that hasn’t selected their origin until third level?

Thoughts on how WotC might approach this issue if they stick to starting all subclasses starting at third level?
maybe your choice of patron just isn't the subclass... like I don't know if domain is based on god by this write up

Incenjucar

Legend
There is also a general delving into the occult before deciding on which entity you wish to pledge to within the larger set of options. This is generally the case for real world practices in various systems, so it makes that much more sense.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
D&D patrons don't use the drug dealer style. It's straight lawyer.

"Too late baby. You already signed the contract. You drank the potion. Now steal me dem babies! Or I'll send my other employees and attorney after you."
I prefer patrons to be patrons. “I appreciate your work and I’d like to see more of it. Here’s some money spells so you can keep it up. Oh, also, I’d really appreciate it if you use some of that to… [insert request here].”

Wyckedemus

Explorer
Pact Boon and Otherworldly Patron are being swapped.
  1. Eldritch Cantrip, Pact Boon (Blade, Chain, or Tome), Pact Magic
  2. Eldritch Invocation
  3. Otherworldly Patron
A patron isn't giving a warlock a link to themselves until they prove themselves anymore. You area generic warlock until the patron thinks you are worthy of their true power.

Same with Sorcerer.
You are generic sorcerer until you tap into more of your power. As you grow, your origin shows.
Ooooh... the Pact Boon can be how you got the connection to your (possibly mysterious) patron in the first place. Did you get it from a mysterious tome of lost/forbidden magic? Did you commune with a servant spirit bound to the patron that manifests as a familiar? Was it a magical weapon that is tied to the patron? This is your gateway into power.

Eldritch Invocation opens up your access to the eldritch mysteries, luring you to seek more power...

Otherworldly Patron is when your Patron is revealed (was it honest, or a trick to bind you?) and grants you greater access and affinity to its power. Heck, maybe the previous eldritch mysteries give you insight that there are other Otherworldly Patrons to choose to petition to.

Remove ads