Spelljammer What is important to you about Spelljammer

Nope!
Wiki's are not source.
It is not on me to provide your proof.

Alchemy that uses real science is still science. End of
I think you are miss-using the term science when you mean chemistry. Science is a system, a methodology. Gunpowder was not created, originally, with science. Science is how we understand the chemistry, but they are separate. Gunpowder was created with alchemy that relied on chemistry that was unknown to the creators.

FYI, IIRC, @Paul Farquhar is a scientist, so you might not want to argue with him on this distinction

Rogerd1

Adventurer
I think you are miss-using the term science when you mean chemistry. Science is a system, a methodology. Gunpowder was not created, originally, with science. Science is how we understand the chemistry, but they are separate. Gunpowder was created with alchemy that relied on chemistry that was unknown to the creators.

FYI, IIRC, @Paul Farquhar is a scientist, so you might not want to argue with him on this distinction
Alchemy was a protoscience to get technical, when the rigeurs of modern scientific method was not available. Now the trouble with alchemy it led to all sorts of rather dodgy practices, imbibing mercury as a famous one among Chinese immortality seekers.

Chemistry is using scientific principles, and led to other dodgy areas such as chemical weapons being one prime example. But it has also led to cures to literally hundreds of diseases which was not possible with alchemy.

Thus alchemy using the description from the post below.

This is totally alchemy, and has nothing to do with science is any way. They are not the same.

dave2008

Legend
FYI, @Rogerd1 , here is the definition of smokepowder in the 2e DMG (pg 179-180):

1649079768017.png

1649079784958.png

Alchemy was a protoscience to get technical, when the rigeurs of modern scientific method was not available. Now the trouble with alchemy it led to all sorts of rather dodgy practices, imbibing mercury as a famous one among Chinese immortality seekers.

Chemistry is using scientific principles, and led to other dodgy areas such as chemical weapons being one prime example. But it has also led to cures to literally hundreds of diseases which was not possible with alchemy.

Thus alchemy using the description from the post below.

This is totally alchemy, and has nothing to do with science is any way. They are not the same.
I never claimed that science and alchemy were the same. Nor did Paul as far as I can tell.

Also a clarification, chemistry doesn’t use science, it simply is what it is. We use science to understand the chemistry of things, but the chemistry is there whether or not we understand it. That is how we got gunpowder without science! It seems your are saying “chemistry” when you really mean “the study of chemistry”, which is a science.

Last edited:

Rogerd1

Adventurer
I never claimed that science and alchemy were the same. Nor did Paul as far as I can tell.

Also a clarification, chemistry doesn’t use science, it simple is what it is. We use science to understand the chemistry of things, but the chemistry is there whether or not we understand it. That is how we got gunpowder without science! It seems your are saying “chemistry” when you really mean “the study of chemistey”, which is a science
Well...no.
How and why certain reactions happen, results in chemistry which is a scientific study and overlaps between numerous fields.

In short, chemistry is a science.

Well...no.
How and why certain reactions happen, results in chemistry which is a scientific study and overlaps between numerous fields.

In short, chemistry is a science.
Ok, I accept that chemistry is the term used to describe the brand of science. However, the point remains. Substitute “chemical reaction” for “chemistry” or similar more accurate terminology. The point is you were using the term science incorrectly, not the definition of chemistry. I made a mistake their, pretty big of me to be able to admit that on the internet!

edit: where it gets complicated is that when we talk about the chemistry of something, we are not talking about the science of chemistry, but the actual chemical make up of a thing. Which is the definition I was getting at in my previous posts.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Can we drop the alchemy/chemistry debate, it's silly when we're dealing with a fantasy RPG anyways.

I just want Giff, Neogi, Tradesmen ships, the Rock of Braal and Giant Space Hamsters (and their creators).

The one thing I DO want changed - that spelljamming helms prevent characters from casting their spells.

Remove ads