D&D 5E What is Quality?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I said that it was work that could be applied, not work that had already been done that you could look at. And this isn't the subject of a paper - at this point is is a body of work under study since the 70s, and furthering it can generally earn you a Masters degree or better.

The simplest way to describe how you'd go about it might be thus:

Take the RPG in question, and create a computer program for playing the game. The program doesn't have to be pleasant to play - indeed, for these purposes the most useful result might well be a UX nightmare - but it has to hold all the options the player and GM may choose to take at each step, and must apply every variable that might be applied, and does the math to resolve the action for you.

Measure the complexity of the resulting code. There are commercial tools that will do this in various ways, and there are further measures not usually seen outside academic information theory study as well. Master the realm of code complexity, and choose measures accordingly.
This all seems to hinge on the rather fantastic claim that you could even write such a program. I certainly am totally unaware of any advancement in computing that could handle a program that could even come close to mimicking, much less simulating, all of the options players and GMs could take in even tightly constrained RPGs. Something like 5e, where even the rules applicable are malleable? No. This is a ridiculous claim.

GreyLord

Legend
can you tell us how to get jobs in this testing field? it seems that playing and breaking down games is exactly what the average enword forum goer would want to do.

Not specific to RPG's, though they CAN be involved with RPG game creation (normally this would be with Video game RPGs instead though), they cover a LOT of gaming.

Mathematician, specifically, Game Mathematicians.

It requires a PH.d in math generally, and an understanding of game theory, gambling (much bigger emphasis for them here), and general theories of random generation and other variables related to math and gaming.

Edit: Not that anyone is actually interested in it...but here's a brief breakdown of Game theory (that doesn't cover most of what it does or can do, but is like a one sentence blurb compared to the entire field of it)

What is Game Theory 2018 OSU

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Quality cannot be considered free of the context of purpose.
And when I tried to assert that one of the central purposes of a clock is to be a tool (for telling time), feathers flew and people acted like I was mocking clocks. Imagine the furor if I had skipped the analogy and stated that tabletop roleplaying games had a central purpose of being tools for producing certain experiences!

You are effectively asserting that the only qualities that exist are intrinsic qualities. This is an inaccurate picture of quality, overall - extrinsic qualities still matter in the real world.
We're seeing an equivocation fallacy across this thread. "Quality," in the singular, is being used in its general sense of excellence or superiority, and "qualities," in the plural (and occasionally singular, but usually plural), is being used in its sense as characteristic or feature.

Oofta is relying on extrinsic factors like popularity or sales as a method of determining intrinsic factors like excellence or superiority. This is faulty reasoning. There are many, many reasons why an extrinsic factor like sales or popularity might be sky high that have nothing to do with the intrinsic factors at all. (Consider the dominance of Facebook vs the "quality" of their services...) Likewise, excellent intrinsic factors may in fact actually reduce the popularity or sales of a product, sometimes by intent, sometimes not. (Prego in the 80s had an objectively superior spaghetti sauce on several metrics, but was lagging Ragu heavily; they attained market dominance by offering a new, parallel product, Extra Chunky sauce, and kicking off the horizontal market segmentation blitz.)

That this is faulty reasoning does not mean that the conclusion ("5e has excellent intrinsic qualities") is incorrect. It just does not establish that it IS correct. I attempted, early on, to give my analysis—necessarily in part subjective—of why I feel 5e has not actually achieved the level of intrinsic excellence Oofta claims it has, while still recognizing that it does in fact have good intrinsic components. My analysis was largely ignored, and definitely ignored by Oofta personally. My assumption is that they have chosen simply not to respond to my posts, hence I have tried to avoid directly quoting them, or even referencing them if possible, out of respect for their (apparent) desire not to interact with me.

You've done a semantic goal post shift on quality, here. You've moved from a term describing a measure of excellence to a term describing a feature or characteristic. Please don't. Adding this kind of motte and bailey setup isn't improving the discourse.
See above. This shift has been present throughout the thread.

For TTRPGs, the comparable measure is (IMO) -- 'can the ruleset be used by someone to play a roleplaying session?' With few exceptions -- Hybrid being maybe an RPG at all but maybe just someone's word salad that includes some RPG framing, and FASA's 1980s Master of the Universe rpg (where there are rules referenced which never actually show up in the rulebooks) -- all TTRPGs meet that standard and most of the qualities used in arguments about which ones meet the standard better than others not being objective or even semi-universally agreed-upon.
If the standard is such that literally absolutely all games meet it simply by being created, it is an objectively useless standard. A thing which fails to meet the standard of "can possibly be used under some circumstance" cannot possibly merit the term "game." A thing which literally prevents people from having fun while using it, I.e. something which literally makes it impossible for ANY user to have fun while using it, is not only not deserving of the title "game," but actively dangerous to human existence and possibly meriting research as a weapon of psychological warfare.

Your stated purpose for games is unacceptable. You have instead identified absolute minimum requirements for something to qualify as a game in the first place. What, then, is the purpose of something that (a) actually can be used at least some of the time and (b) permits its users to enjoy its use?

I of course have my own answers, but I would like to hear your thoughts first.

My premise is that while D&D has always been big in the TTRPG marketplace, since 5E was released a decade ago it's seen double digit growth is an indication of a quality product. It's the best measurement we have. As I said in my original post "From a business perspective minimal investment + continued popularity + year after year double digit growth = quality."

That doesn't mean it's perfect. Nothing is.
I am breaking my "generally avoid quoting Oofta" pattern noted above to respond to this for the following reasons:

1. This is again a conflation of extrinsic characteristics (low production cost, patterns of behavior, sales) for intrinsic characteristics (excellence, efficacy, cohesion, etc.) This conflation is the problem. You will never get people to grant that extrinsic characteristics equal intrinsic ones.
2. You will at most get people to agree that the extrinsic characteristics exist, and that one possible explanation for them is the existence of certain intrinsic characteristics, but that other, equally-valid (and debatably more likely) explanations exist. Such as external situational factors, coincidental alignment of events, or historical influences. IOW, even with this slightly less strong claim, people are going to criticize the claim that popularity (or sales or growth or whatever other extrinsic characteristics) is the best measure we have.

You can see statements from WotC's CEOs over the years on any of the many mainstream media articles about the game, or the various articles about Hasbro earnings calls and the like. I cover that stuff on the news page fairly regularly.
Not gonna lie, "you need to provide links, while I just need to make vague references" doesn't exactly speak well of your position here. But that might just be because I've had personal issues with a family member who makes strong claims and tells me to look it up when I challenge them...and then also tells me to show evidence of my own counterclaims, rather than being willing to look up what I say is common knowledge.

That and the Escalation Die are the first things that come to mind. My main issue with 13 Age, however, is simply that is mechanically based largely on 4th ed, and I really don't care for 4th ed.
OUTs have little to no "mechanics" to them. So I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that side of things. They're literally just meant to give each character a quirk, something that makes them stand out a little. E.g. "I have six fingers on my right hand" is a perfectly acceptable OUT (though it might make the son of a certain deceased swordsmith hunt you down and deliver a prepared speech before killing you.)

As for the escalation die, I honestly have no idea whatsoever how that counts as a narrative mechanic. It's actually trying for a bit of verisimilitude in the face of degenerate strategies engendered by the combat system of D&D-related games. Specifically, it is a tool for discouraging constant, repeated use of "nova" tactics (which in general are not tactically ideal in absolutely all "realistic" combat situations). This pushes players to consider a wider array of approaches, and to fear the initial stages of combat where they may not yet have the ability to bring their full strength to bear.

Now, as you said, it smells too much of 4e to you, and there's really nothing that can be done about that. It was made by Heinsoo, it has Heinsoo a design sentiments. But if "narrative" mechanics were the only issue, I would say your concerns were misplaced.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I found an article on the best movies ever made

not 1 of them made even CLOSE to a billion dollars... doesn't that mean they all failed?

That's ONLY if you don't account for inflation. Once you do several of them qualify. Star Wars, for example, once you adjust comes in at over $3 billion. And 2001 A Space Odyssey (#1 on the list) comes in at 1.6 billion.

Now, most don't come close - heck Citizen Kane was a flop on initial release. So I do think your overall point stands.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I know, but I'm trying to hold people to the same standard. The one about 4e being the best selling edition so far (or whatever, which is the point) keeps getting thrown around, and quite frankly it is meaningless (bordering on genuinely detracting/counterproductive) without actually being able to see what was claimed.
Every few months (quarterly?) Morrus posts some charts in the news section, each with an attached discussion thread that appears in the then-current variant of the "TTRPG General" forum. He's been posting these for years, as far back as into the 3e days I believe, and whle now they tend to use data gleaned from online/VTT play, in the past I'm pretty sure he used sales data gleaned from (a survey of FLGSes?).

If you dig around long enough in here you might be able to find some of those reports from the 4e era. Going from memory, PF did end up outpacing 4e for a while; but in fairness 4e was in decline at that point anyway.

What I'm not sure of is whether 4e as a whole outsold 3e as a whole. 5e, of course, has crushed the lot of 'em.

That's ONLY if you don't account for inflation. Once you do several of them qualify. Star Wars, for example, once you adjust comes in at over $3 billion. And 2001 A Space Odyssey (#1 on the list) comes in at 1.6 billion.
okay I didn't think of that
Now, most don't come close - heck Citizen Kane was a flop on initial release. So I do think your overall point stands.
but that brings up cult classics that BOTH failed to make money originally AND were found later to make money when VHS/DVD/Streaming started...

If you dig around long enough in here you might be able to find some of those reports from the 4e era. Going from memory, PF did end up outpacing 4e for a while; but in fairness 4e was in decline at that point anyway.
i (one of if not the biggest 4e stan) fully admit they came close and did pass D&D once D&D was not putting out product. Of course even the come close was when they were putting out more books... (its hard to say 4 books out sold 1 and take that to mean more people are buying the 4... and when it's 3 books came close to but didn't match the 1 out that month I find it VERY hard to say that is surpassing)

however the problem is if the OP was going to base quality= sales he would have to lump 4e in as the 2nd best D&D and (assuming we grant PF DID pass it) the 3rd best TTRPG ever made... but he will go on and on about how it was poor for other reasons.

this is the ongoing problem with ANY person (as Umbra) pointed out we all self select what we like and use the evidence that supports it.
What I'm not sure of is whether 4e as a whole outsold 3e as a whole. 5e, of course, has crushed the lot of 'em.
yeah but if stranger things big bang theory and the streaming gaming (I know I missed at least 1 pop culture reference) all hit between 1994 and 1998 and 1997 had a huge resurgence of table top games (normally board games) and 1999 had a world wide (or close) plague causing everyone to stay in and find entertainment they could do from home... would 2e have exploded the same?

no way to know... after all it might be that mixed with the system... or it could be none of that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
okay, but that seems well outside the capability of any/all of us and as such seems (IMO) to make the entire thread pointless.

Admitting one's limits is a necessary precursor to wisdom and understanding. If there are some things that are beyond our capacity to ascertain, we should admit that.

Nobody CAN do those test (I even doubt Hasbro could do them) so how do we discuss quality OTHER than us listing our own opinions?

Well, Hasbro and WotC can do survey work, at least. Not quite as accurate, but sometimes you take what you can get. But still, surveying on the appropriate scale is also beyond our means here on this site.

But, let me answer a question with another question - Why do we want to talk about "quality"? Or, more specifically, why do we want to assert we know "quality"? In what ways is talking about our opinions and experiences insufficient?

But, let me answer a question with another question - Why do we want to talk about "quality"? Or, more specifically, why do we want to assert we know "quality"? In what ways is talking about our opinions and experiences insufficient?
I don't. I would very much like to discus my onions of this (and other) games and how I would like future change/advancement/interpretations should go. I even would not mind others taking a different point of view. HOWEVER what I have found is more and more over the last few months is that "It is selling well, so it doesn't need to be changed" and "the market spoke and what you want isn't ever going to happen any more" have replaced "I don't want that".

I am here having the discussion hoping that this is where the argument of what is quality and can the sales number tell us if something is quality will stay here, so the next time I bring up something I dislike about 5e (a tie for the second and third best TTRPG I have ever played...and the one it is tied with gets a lot of nostalgia points) I wont have this argument relitigated over and over trying to get that conversation ended

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This all seems to hinge on the rather fantastic claim that you could even write such a program. I certainly am totally unaware of any advancement in computing that could handle a program that could even come close to mimicking, much less simulating, all of the options players and GMs could take in even tightly constrained RPGs.
Somewhere out there, someone (not me!) with programming skills and nothing else to do probably just took this as a challenge... :)

Remove ads