D&D 5E What is the best class for a single class only campaign?

What is the best class for a single class only campaign?

• Homebrew/Other

• Artificer

• Barbarian

• Bard

• Cleric

• Druid

• Fighter

• Monk

• Paladin

• Ranger

• Rogue

• Sorcerer

• Warlock

• Wizard

• Eric Noah is my half-fiend love child.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
No consideration for it being an interesting story, though, which is why we get checks notes an all-cleric campaign.
If you're going with a campaign that would actually be interesting, all-rogue, all-bard or even all-monk would be a lot better.
I think every campaign is interesting as long as the players and DM are good.

That being said, I do think that cleric is powerful but not really compelling. People have made pretty strong arguments for rangers, fighters, and wizards, above, that feel more compelling to me.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think every campaign is interesting as long as the players and DM are good.

That being said, I do think that cleric is powerful but not really compelling. People have made pretty strong arguments for rangers, fighters, and wizards, above, that feel more compelling to me.

Clerics probably the best but yeah it's kinda boring. Bard for example more interesting.

Clerics can have more HP than the fighter types similar ac and similar damage and throw in a light, twilight, arcane etc and you've got all the bases covered.

Sacred flame and toll the dead spam gets old fast though.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Ugh, one bard in the party is annoying enough. If all five of my players rolled up bards all at once, I'd roll up a bard also and then sit down on their side of the table. "So which one of you is going to be our DM?" I'll ask. Because I sure as heck won't. :)

Oofta

Legend
One thing I'll note is that when it comes to what the group can and cannot do is that with backgrounds classes can be more flexible than in past editions.

I'm mentioning it because someone was saying that paladins "can't" be stealthy. I have a dex based paladin in my group that would beg to differ. With studded leather and a shield his AC is almost as good as the guys wearing plate. Along with the criminal/spy background to give him stealth he does pretty good. Not as good as a rogue, but against the passive perception of most creatures? It doesn't really need to take high.

My point is: don't discount any class because of typical or "optimal" builds.

squibbles

Adventurer
Assumptions:

1) 5 player characters in the campaign.
2) The bulk of the game will be Tier 2-Tier 3.
[...]​
c) Shared class synergy (wizards sharing spells, druids being able to group wildshape, mass first round fighter action surge, etc.)
Warlocks are clearly the best.

Just imagine, being a warlock player that gets to use those two 3rd level spell slots more than once a day. TIMES 5!... No greater synergy is possible.

One thing I'll note is that when it comes to what the group can and cannot do is that with backgrounds classes can be more flexible than in past editions.

I'm mentioning it because someone was saying that paladins "can't" be stealthy.
I didn't say that. I said the fighting styles pushed against people being stealthy. Dex/studded leather with the interception, protection, or duelling fighting styles and a rapier do actually work. It's just fighting a bit against the way the class is pushed. Compare, for example, to the ranger which basically has all the dex based fighting styles plus the ability to grab shillealagh as a cantrip to go wis-based.

see

Pedantic Grognard
The problem with artificer is that you will never get any spells past 4th level, and you have to wait till the final third of the campaign to even get those.
Yeah. The OP specifies there'll be Tier 3 play, and well.

In Tier 3, there's a major difference in capability between a five-man party that collectively starts with 0 fourth-level slots (11th level) and eventually grows to have 10 fourth-level slots, and the five-man party that collectively starts with 15 fourth-, 10 fifth-, and 5 sixth-level slots.

Remove ads