• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the most evocative art you've seen in a TTRPG?

Have you seen his new adventure? The art's as good as ever, maybe better.
I did, although I haven't found an opportunity to run it yet. The art is stunning as expected, and the adventure premise is pretty great and...I guess "typically atypical" is as good a descriptor as any? Nice to see that the end of A Thousand Thousand Islands hasn't stopped Munkao from working on his own.

Still, I do rather miss the combination of his art with Zedeck Siew's terse writing. His style's as distinctive to me as Munkao's art. Very unhappy to hear about that split.

kronovan

Adventurer
I'll ditto Cubicle 7's art in TOR 1e as being top quality and evocative. I found their art in Adventures in Middle Earth to equal it. The art in Ulissee Spiele's Dark Eye publications has compelled me to continue my quest to find an IRL or vitual table to play at, or find that ever elusive audience of players to host around my own. The TDE PDFs are among the few I've ever bought, where I felt they were worth it for the art work alone.

innerdude

Legend
The One Ring, as already mentioned.

The art for the Interface Zero 2.0 setting book for Savage Worlds is next level. Not all of it is truly "great," but there's a consistency and level of detail throughout that holds the book together in a way that the OP describes---it's evocative and compelling.

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
Agon (2e) must be up there. I mean look at it John Harper did the art as well as co-designing the game. To be honest I'm not sure if the game's for me but the art keeps tempting me to buy it anyway - you don't need to play me, just look at my pretty pictures!
Agon_02.jpg

To be honest I'm not sure if the game's for me but the art keeps tempting me to buy it anyway - you don't need to play me, just look at my pretty pictures!
That reasoning got me to buy rather a lot of Spacemaster and Traveller 4e stuff over the years, although I'm pretty sure the only thing being evoked by the art in that case was near-religious awe of Chris Foss' artwork. You could put his art on the cover of a recipe book for cannibals and I'd still buy it.

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
I've said it before: Elmore's "Dragon Slayers and Proud if It" was exactly what 2e was for me. Sticking with 2e: DiTerlizzi and Planescape, Brom and Dark Sun captured and/or created the "feel" of those settings.

Similarly, the color "ads" in the WEG Star Wars books really created the "flavor" of the SW galaxy.

Last edited:

Jahydin

Hero
D&D's new "softer" aesthetic really isn't my thing, so always excited to see RPGs with creepy art that conveys just how dangerous and horrifying dungeon delving and/or studying the arcane would really be.

My recent favorites:
Shadowdark
1716838035091.png

Dragonslayer RPG
1716838356132.png

Hyperborea:
1716838557259.png

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads