• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the point of GM's notes?

hawkeyefan

Legend
But it's not. A lore check can't place a bomb before you ever know that you need one. They aren't equal.

The bomb example isn’t the best example of a Flashback. Usually, a Flashback would be more about learning there were dogs here and then preparing accordingly, rather than preparing for something you have no idea is coming.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The bomb example isn’t the best example of a Flashback. Usually, a Flashback would be more about learning there were dogs here and then preparing accordingly, rather than preparing for something you have no idea is coming.
If I were GMing Blades I would probably not allow a Flashback if it were about something that would have been completely outside any planning cycle. So, for example, if the players, during the score, summoned a Ghost unplanned and it got out of hand and then there were level draining concerns (yes, I'm mixing metaphors, I know) I would probably say no.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How is a landmine not learning about the dogs and then planning accordingly? I know they are there and will rush me when I arrive. Plan accomplished.

hawkeyefan

Legend
If I were GMing Blades I would probably not allow a Flashback if it were about something that would have been completely outside any planning cycle. So, for example, if the players, during the score, summoned a Ghost unplanned and it got out of hand and then there were level draining concerns (yes, I'm mixing metaphors, I know) I would probably say no.

There’s certainly a point where I would say no, but I think it’d be hard to reach that point in most cases. Likely I’d be more inclined to work with the player to see if we can hash out a flashback that works.

How is a landmine not learning about the dogs and then planning accordingly? I know they are there and will rush me when I arrive. Plan accomplished.

Because you said planting a mine before you knew you needed one (per below). If the dogs are there then they are the reason for the mine.

With a Flashback, it’s more limited than that. You scope an area and gain some info that allows you to plan, or something similar. The landmine thing involves scoping the area, gaining access to the area, planting explosives in the area, and getting out undetected.

It’s a bit much. Generally, Flashbacks are based around one Action Roll, not multiple ones.

But it's not. A lore check can't place a bomb before you ever know that you need one. They aren't equal.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm not sure what your random example is trying to prove. It's like you just randomly stuck the word 'mechanically' in there but it doesn't make any sense and doesn't address my point.
I don't understand how you are unable to see that a lore check isn't even close to being equal to being able to go back and time and set up an action that then goes forward to present time and changes the event taking place. Hell, a lore check might not even be useful, even if successful.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't understand how you are unable to see that a lore check isn't even close to being equal to being able to go back and time and set up an action that then goes forward to present time and changes the event taking place. Hell, a lore check might not even be useful, even if successful.
And I fail to see how you can't move past the fictional description to look at the mechanics. The flashback might not be useful or work either, it still needs application and action rolls.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because you said planting a mine before you knew you needed one (per below). If the dogs are there then they are the reason for the mine.
You didn't know the dogs were there until you showed up. After you show up and see dogs, you then go back in time and can then plan for them by planting the landmine. That's how Flashback works according to the rules shown above. It's allows a retcon so long as the retcon doesn't directly remove the thread. i.e. you can plant a mine to kill them when they appear, but you can't have planned to show up two hours earlier and shoot them, thereby preventing them from showing up.
With a Flashback, it’s more limited than that. You scope an area and gain some info that allows you to plan, or something similar. The landmine thing involves scoping the area, gaining access to the area, planting explosives in the area, and getting out undetected.

It’s a bit much. Generally, Flashbacks are based around one Action Roll, not multiple ones.
Okay. I don't know the details on playing the game, but then my first example with the drugged steaks could work. Or you could go back in time and buy a tranquilizer gun to shoot dogs with. The point is that it's still a retcon, though not a bad one in that game.

Remove ads