Level Up (A5E) What is the vision of the high level fighter?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I some ways I agree, but it is the only way to handle it and let the wizard keep its goodied.

I've been thinking about making everything above 5th level rituals / scrolls, which is fine for my group, but it is not a D&D wizard to a lot of people.

Maybe let the casters use the warlock short rest spells with 1 or 2 more slots per rest and have level 6+, which they only get one and cast one per day, be super powerful spells that takes more than 1-round to cast in combat and about 1 hour out of combat.

Or put an exhaustion cost or longer recovery time for level 6+ spells.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Put me in the "Mythic Hero" camp. Favorite flavor is Greek or Roman, if you'd like me to be more specific. Sometimes you're just a lucky Nobody, other times you're an invincible hero with weak ankles.

Stalker0

Legend
Maybe let the casters use the warlock short rest spells with 1 or 2 more slots per rest and have level 6+, which they only get one and cast one per day, be super powerful spells that takes more than 1-round to cast in combat and about 1 hour out of combat.

Or put an exhaustion cost or longer recovery time for level 6+ spells.

while I personally would love to see some toned down casters, thats just not going to be a popular idea. People want more not less, so ultimatelythe best approach is to buff the fighter

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I'm not all that concerned. Anything that can be done with magic can be done through mundane means with ingenuity. Let the casters waste their combat slots on walking into a room and I'll just do it with my legs.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Give the mundanes strange power.
I mean you don’t get....
Bitten by a werewolf
Charmed by a succubus
Breathed on by a dragon
Diseased by a mummy
Bled on by a demon
Burned on by an ooze
Swallowed by a worm
Polymorphed by a wizard
Healed by a cleric
Paralyzed by a ghoul
Sickened by a troglodyte
Drugged by an assassin
Copied by a doppelganger
Eyed by a beholder
Clawed by a chuul
______ by a mind flayer
You should be scarred and powerfully changed. You bore these attacks. The spellcasters were probably spared a lot of that by dint of their magic powers.

Kratos is a fighter who gets some cool magic items. But he doesn't need them to grapple Zeus (despite him just having a body of stormclouds) and punch a god to death.

Now, that's just power level. Mechanics-wise, Kratos kinda needs those magic items to do interesting stuff, but that's just a limitation of software. You could certainly have a high level fighter who can dash at such high speed that he can attack multiple enemies on different sides of the battlefield in one turn, or who can swing a blade so hard that it creates a shockwave that hits a cone of multiple enemies, or who is clever enough to have established an array of mercenary allies around the world during his adventures, who know just when he's in trouble, so they show up and provide help in combat in a sort of post hoc justification sort of way.

Out of combat, while the wizard is studying his spells, the fighter's mercenary allies are gathering information for him. It might not be magical lore, but they can get him accurate intel on enemy forces and movements, and on the behaviors and weaknesses of a hostile army. And while the cleric is praying to hear his god's voice, the fighter is studying anatomy - with the intent to kill folks, of course, but he learns so well he understands how a few simple pokes and prods can restore someone's vigor; or maybe he's so damned intimidating, when he tells you to hold your severed stump of a hand on and heal, you oblige out of fear of disappointing him. And while the bard is trying to piece together bits of legends about a lich's lair, one of the fighter's buddy's mentors shows up, saying that his sister served that lich for a while before the undead bastard killed her, and he got all sorts of secrets straight from the horse's mouth, and he'll hand them over if the fighter promises to end the abomination's wretched existence.

Alright I’ll bite. Hover 1000 ft up in the air. Go!

From a tactical standpoint, all that does it get someone out of reach of being attacked. The fighter does that too by running fast, or maybe he just has a shield and is excellent at blocking attacks if he can see them coming, so you being far away doesn't help.

Stalker0

Legend
From a tactical standpoint, all that does it get someone out of reach of being attacked. The fighter does that too by running fast, or maybe he just has a shield and is excellent at blocking attacks if he can see them coming, so you being far away doesn't help.

never said it was for combat. Could be for scouting, intimidation, having to grab something floating up there. A 1000 reasons. So I would like to know how the mundane fighter accomplishes this

Remove ads