Pathfinder 1E What is your go-to backup weapon?

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Disarming happens. Thieves happen. Rust monsters happen. And when these things happen, it's a good idea to have fallback option hanging at your hip.

And so, in the interest of never again resorting to non-proficient unarmed strikes against a boss monster, what is your go-to backup weapon? This question applies whether you're a bow-haver trapped in melee or a sword-dude faced with flying creatures. What do you pull out in these situations?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, my last character kept a club for that sort of situation. It wasn't exactly ideal, but it was good against rust monsters (as the comic illustrates) and it has no cost associated with it, so it didn't hurt his bottom line (it's a running gag in our group how a masterwork club costs 300 gp while the basic one is a stick you find on the ground).

Thankfully, my character had only one or two instances where he had to use it instead of his shang gou (which are those hookswords that Kabal from Mortal Kombat uses; I found stats for them over in Weapon Mastery: Shang Gou).

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

Last edited:

Remove ads