• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what isn't an rpg that should be?

icemaster109

First Post
Some great ideas here..

Wow, some of recommendations here make are depressing because they are so good (Starcraft, X-Com, Dune, Riddick, and HP).

Anyway, I have a laundry list of stuff that I wished existed.

An antediluvian world: A biblical pre-flood world would be awesome. Where there are giants, expanded lifespans, and evil pre-empires. There has been a ton of attempts to hack and fan-write one over the past decade.

Jurassic Park: I just love Jurassic Park. Someone needs to make this work.

I'm not really a diehard anime fan (more of a casual appreciation), but there are a bunch of anime/manga universes that I think would make amazing RPG settings.

Gundam: The Universal Century is an expansive hard sci fi universe fraught with war. With the alternative universes ex Wing, X, G Gundam being sold as supplements a good publisher could rake in some dough.
Attack on Titan: Low fantasy, a tinge of horror, and a world that begs to be expanded upon - this would be a great RPG. (There is an AW hack called Titan World however that has some pretty great mechanics to it though)
Berserk: A dark gritty fantasy that has been cited as inspiration for quite a few other fantasy worlds.

Halivar

First Post
Dune is first on my list. There is a Burning Wheel setting that IS Dune with the serial numbers filed off, but a genuine, licensed dealy-bob would be awesome and amazing. I'd set it during the events of books 5-6, as there more factions for interest and intrigue.

Books 7 and 8, as we all know, were never written and published. Kind of like how Star Wars Episodes I-III were never filmed and released. Ever.

dm4hire

Explorer
Dune is first on my list. There is a Burning Wheel setting that IS Dune with the serial numbers filed off, but a genuine, licensed dealy-bob would be awesome and amazing. I'd set it during the events of books 5-6, as there more factions for interest and intrigue.

Books 7 and 8, as we all know, were never written and published. Kind of like how Star Wars Episodes I-III were never filmed and released. Ever.

Ha ha, too funny. Though I have read none of the books after the final one by Frank. While his son is carrying on in "good faith" I prefer to end it how it naturally ended with Frank's final book. Sometimes things don't get answered and it actually feels right in my opinion.

Another interesting book would be "Canticle for Leibowitz" as it has an interesting setting with the whole post apoc feel with heavy religious overtones.

Halivar

First Post
Ha ha, too funny. Though I have read none of the books after the final one by Frank. While his son is carrying on in "good faith" I prefer to end it how it naturally ended with Frank's final book. Sometimes things don't get answered and it actually feels right in my opinion.
YES! Someone understands me!

Another interesting book would be "Canticle for Leibowitz" as it has an interesting setting with the whole post apoc feel with heavy religious overtones.
Agreed! Re-reading it right now, as a matter of fact. I'll be honest, it's that post-apoc neo-medieval vibe that drew me to Numenara.

Ok, some more possibly awesome settings:

• Barsoom - They just don't make sci-fi like this any more.
  • Le Morte d'Arthur - Medieval fantasy ain't nuthin' like D&D.
  • Riddick - There's a whole implied mythos that, while being very campy, is also pretty interesting (what the heck is Underverse???).
  • Battlestar Galactica - The old series, not the new, terribly written disappointment. B-)
  • Krull - Medieval fantasy with aliens and laser spears! This has a very late-70's First Edition vibe for me.
  • Rama - This is a successful game if you can make the players feel claustrophobic and agoraphobic at the same time.

ProtoClone

First Post
I always had wished Farscape could have had more focus. Maybe someone will pick it up because it deserves an RPG with how messed up, muppets-on-acid, that world is.

I want to thrown in my vote for G.I.Joe, Transformers, Thundarr (what got me into post apocalyptic stories), Dune, He-Man, Thundercats.

Some more:
Fables (comics)

dm4hire

Explorer
I always had wished Farscape could have had more focus. Maybe someone will pick it up because it deserves an RPG with how messed up, muppets-on-acid, that world is.

I want to thrown in my vote for G.I.Joe, Transformers, Thundarr (what got me into post apocalyptic stories), Dune, He-Man, Thundercats.

Some more:
Fables (comics)

The original Farscape RPG was good, but I think d20 was a poor match up for it. It deserves its own system or a more open form. Maybe modified Fate or Cortex.

Dioltach

Legend
I think a lot of settings can be imitated using existing generic rules, for example D20 Modern. The only difficulty arises where the FX (to use the D20 Modern term) are either very specific or very generalised. I'd love to play a game based on Hiero's Journey, for example (the main difficulty is convincing my players), but it should be fairly easy to set up using D20 Modern.

One setting that appeals to me but that would be difficult to structure using the D20 Modern rules, and perhaps most rules for magic that I've come across, is Earthsea.

Remove ads