• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what isn't an rpg that should be?

nomotog

Explorer

I think you have most of the parts you need for it in D20 modern already.

I think a RWBY RPG could be a really fun. I wonder how you could do that stylistic combat. Then I think you could do a lot of neat things with the weapons and even the setting.

A borderlands RPG could be really neat from a mechanics view point. You could have a selection of charts to just let you roll up random weapons for the players and the enemies. The whole thing could get crazy fast.

nomotog

Explorer
love this idea

I tried to make it myself, but I'm lazy. Though the other thing I ran into is that you kind of want a gun combat system with a lot of depth to it. You want guns with a lot of dials and knobs you can turn. I was trying to convert from D20 modern, but that system doesn't have rules for recoil, or good rules for RoF, I ended up tearing the whole thing up and losing confidence in it working. Also I wracked my head trying to figure out what a shotgun effect should do.

Though the whole idea was kind of simple. You would have a chart of different characteristics that you roll on when you find a weapon. Low quality weapons roll once, High quality weapons roll more then once, and legendary weapons roll on their own legendary table that also includes flaws.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Does it count if there have been RPGs but they're no longer available? If so, I would include Star Trek and the Marvel Universe as two big and well known settings currently lacking a tabletop RPG. Two big cRPG with no tabletop equivalent would be Mass Effect and the Elder Scrolls. The other place I'd go would be to mythical India, the Mahabharata and similar tales, and I'd love to see a tabletop RPG to handle those.

We play Star Trek lots of times.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Starcraft. I actually bought Alternity when it first came out hoping I could run a Starcraft-inspired game but moving countries played havoc with my gaming for a few years.

I have several items I think should be an rpg such as:

Adventure Time
Dune
Thundercats
The Prydain Chronicles (Lloyd Alexander)
Myth series (Robert Lynn Asprin)

Any other time I would have a list as long as my arm but that's a good start.

Remove ads