Pathfinder 1E What kind of Pathfinder Psionics would you like to see from Paizo?

What kind of Pathfinder Psionics would you like to see from Paizo?

Roman

First Post
If Paizo were to do a Psionics book for Pathfinder, what kind of system would you like to see them use?

Possibilities:

1) Power Point System (Psionics would be similar to what it was in 3.5E, though perhaps with some changes and twists)

2) Slot-Based System (Psionics work exactly the same as arcane/divine spellcasting and basically be reflavored spells for all intents and purposes)

3) Skill/Feat-Based System (Psionics would be based on skills and feats, some of which might be available only to Psionic classes and others being available to all)

4) Other System (Psionics would use some other mechanics)

5) No Psionics (Psionics should not be added to Pathfinder)

Aus_Snow

First Post
Other. Oh, what other? I don't know! :lol:

. . . but wish I did. I'd love to see something ideally suited to the psionics feel, that mirrors that, evokes that, whatever. But um, how? No idea. :eek:

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
I voted "Other" not for any reason related to psionics but simply because I want some full systems that aren't any of the above listed. Like the at-will abilities of the Complete Arcane warlock or the Binder or Incarnum. Something different. All the others have been done, we don't need them done again.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think a skill/feat based system has been done well (Psychic's Handbook) but could certainly stand to be reviased and Pathfinderized (belying copyright issues obviously).

I also wouldn't mind to see "other" mechanics; my own personal ideas for psionics included featlike power trees and incarnum-like permanent magic item slot-based abilities.

I don't want to see another magic-like system; that defeats the whole point (and wastes the assets of the d20 system).

I really enjoyed the Star Wars d20 Force model. Skills and Feats gave powers, Vitality controlled how often you could use the powers.

I think the Power Point is rather iconic when it comes to Psionics so I'd slaughter that sacred cow carefully.

I liked Mike Mearl's "Hyperconcious" book. Maybe they could get him to rework that. Or just endorse it and let Malhavoc print a Pathfinder updated edition.

Sigurd

First Post
I don't think psionics combine well with magic. I have no problem with either but I like to see them each in their own setting.

Settings with magic have a power hierarchy that is too disturbed by the guy in the corner with massive mind powers.

Settings with psionics - I include star wars - are also fine but I don't think they'd work well if a wizard popped up with a completely different source of power.

IMHO psionics were\are a mistake in core D&D. If the setting is built around them they're fine.

Sigurd

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't think psionics combine well with magic. I have no problem with either but I like to see them each in their own setting.
See, and for me a setting that does not include all three 'classic' power sources (arcane, divine, and psionic) is incomplete.

Note that the power sources don't have to go by those names, which is imho, often the 'real' reason why people feel, psionics have no place in a fantasy setting.

My personal understanding about these sources actually comes from the Rolemaster rpg:
- arcane == essence: drawing power from the environment, tapping residual magical energy
- psionic == mentalism: drawing power from within yourself
- divine == channeling: drawing power from magical beings (deities, fiends, spirits, etc.)

Going by these definitions some of the D&D classes actually resemble different power sources, e.g. sorcerers really should use the psionic power source and warlocks resemble divine casters more than arcane.

All of them are 'magic', what's different is where the energy's drawn from.

For me there's also a kind of hierarchy involved here:
The true masters of magical powers can draw power from pretty much everything (essence), but it's also the most difficult to learn, hence wizards who epitomize this approach, require a long and ardous education.

It's slightly easier to fuel spells by drawing on your own resources (mentalism), so this is something that talented individuals can do without requiring a lot of schooling.

Finally, divine magic doesn't really require education or talent: everyone can do it by dedicating themselves to higher beings and becoming vessels for their magical powers (channeling).

Now, mechanically, it's not strictly necessary to devise three different sets of rules, but they kind of lend themselves to different approaches:

E.g. it's easy to imagine that drawing power from the environment may take a longer time and/or is more formulaic but offers the advantage of being potentially the most powerful.
In D&D I see this represented by requiring memorization, studying and preparing spells and improving spells via metamagic feats. I also like the idea of spells that become more potent if you take more time to cast them.
I particulary liked the 2e Dark Sun defiling magic - that was exactly what I imagine would happen if spellcasters didn't consciously limit themselves or lose control over their magic.

If you're drawing power from within yourself, it's more flexible but might be mentally or even physically taxing.
In D&D this resembles spontaneous casting or spell / power point-based systems. I liked that in older editions, using psionics was very fast. Also, when psionics was introduced in 3e, it was the first system using swift and immediate actions.
Some psionic feats allow trading life-force for power by spending hit points or taking ability damage. That's also quite iconic.

Channeling magic could resemble both of the above, depending on the way the being drawn upon works its magic. So it might be fast and flexible but with little control over the actual effects or require elaborate rituals with clearly defined effects.
In earlier editions of D&D when praying for spells, it was possible you might not always be granted the spells you wanted and there was a mechanism for divine intervention.

Making the power sources feel different from each other could be as easy as introducing power-source specific feats modifying an identical basic mechanic.

Regarding skill-based spellcasting systems: Well, I don't know how the Star Wars force powers work, but I do know the fiasko that was 3Es Truenamer. Hence I have trouble imagining a functioning, balanced system based on skills.

Remove ads