D&D 5E What magic items to find at a chapterhouse for a knightly order of Watchers?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Looking for ideas for my next session, homebrew is welcome.

There is an order of knights that guard the portals to the fiendish planes. Basically Oath of the Watchers paladins. The 8th level party is at a smaller-sized chapterhouse that guards a known portal. Oh, and the world has been drained by centuries of high magic and spells of 6th level and higher can't be cast anymore without a power source, like an open portal to the feywild.

The majority of the order has been legally pulled to fight in a war, as all of the knightly orders have. What's left is the 70 y.o but still spry commandant, and a bunch of retired members pulled back to guard the portal.

Any items permanently assigned to a knight went with them. Any items specifically useful for fighting a way (like +X weapons and armor) have been checked out.

The party is basically given carte blanche to borrow anything left for a mission. I've noted it does include healing potions of very recent manufacture.

I explicitly don't want it tailored to the characters nor the current threat so I won't mention anything except they are 8th level.

What else magical is left? What items, consumable or permanent, would a Knightly Order of Watchers that watches over an active but blocked portal to fiendish lands have in a small-ish chapterhouse that's not assigned to a knight nor useful in a war vs. humanoid opponents?

Hit me with your ideas. Homebrew and pulling from other editions is fine, I can convert.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Looking for ideas for my next session, homebrew is welcome.

There is an order of knights that guard the portals to the fiendish planes. Basically Oath of the Watchers paladins. The 8th level party is at a smaller-sized chapterhouse that guards a known portal. Oh, and the world has been drained by centuries of high magic and spells of 6th level and higher can't be cast anymore without a power source, like an open portal to the feywild.

The majority of the order has been legally pulled to fight in a war, as all of the knightly orders have. What's left is the 70 y.o but still spry commandant, and a bunch of retired members pulled back to guard the portal.

Any items permanently assigned to a knight went with them. Any items specifically useful for fighting a way (like +X weapons and armor) have been checked out.

The party is basically given carte blanche to borrow anything left for a mission. I've noted it does include healing potions of very recent manufacture.

I explicitly don't want it tailored to the characters nor the current threat so I won't mention anything except they are 8th level.

What else magical is left? What items, consumable or permanent, would a Knightly Order of Watchers that watches over an active but blocked portal to fiendish lands have in a small-ish chapterhouse that's not assigned to a knight nor useful in a war vs. humanoid opponents?

Hit me with your ideas. Homebrew and pulling from other editions is fine, I can convert.
I would think any number of scrolls, amulets or other items that can provide a banishment (4th or 5th level in 5e, I believe) spell. Protection from Demon scrolls. A decanter/chalice of endless holy water. Fire resistance/ immunity items. Permanent magic circle (3rd or 4th level spell, right?) inscribed in the floor immediately before the portal opening. An "emergency button" item that places the chapter house on "lockdown". "Stone shaped" last doors, cover all points of egress. Wizard locks and glyphs of warding triggered by fiends on all windows, doors, and interior doorways. Some "sacred holy" item of some Saint founder or demigod related to the order's establishment or this particular chapter house in this particular place

Redwizard007

Adventurer
I'd focus on non-martial items and items used to capture/restrain anythingcoming through the portal. You have to figure any armor and weapons are high priority for the local garrison. A quick D&D beyond search filtering out armor and weapons and setting your preferred rarity should get you a pretty good starting point. I listed some of my highlights below.

Arcane Grimoire
Astral Shard
Atlas of Endless Horizons
Dimensional Shackles
Dragon Vessel (Legendary or very rare, and immovable. Maybe part of a fountain built into the site.)
Gem of Seeing
Helm of Teleportation
Instrument of the Bards
Iron Bands of Bilarro
Master's Amulet & Shield Guardian
Ring of Feather Falling
Staff of Swarming Insects
Any of the 4 elemental control devices
Wand of Binding

This may also be a chance to introduce a few spellbooks from wizards who came to study, protect, or use the gate.

Stormonu

Legend
The Watchlamp: A magical lantern that cast light at will when held high, and when placed on a surface produces a magic circle up to 3x/day.

The Truemirror: A hand-sized silver mirror about 6 inches across. Charmed or dominated individuals reflected in the mirror shine with a blue glow, while reflected infernal creatures eyes glow red, regardless of their appearance. Once per day, as an action the mirror can be boldly presented to cast Zone of Truth.

Angel Gem:. The faces of these small gemstones are marked with azure celestial runes. Once a day, when tossed into the air and a question is asked, the gem lands with a resounding musical note and the topmost rune acts as if an augury was just cast.

The Cornicopia:. Once a day, this large ram’s horn produces a large feast that feeds up to eight. Those who partake of the food and drink gain the effects of 4th level cure wounds and bless spell, as well as remove the effects of starvation and dehydration.[/I]

Remove ads