D&D General What makes a good DM good?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Same. I didn't see anything offensive in @iserith 's examples, as a player or as a DM.

@iserith and I have talked about this before, and I think they have a specific preference for not telling characters what they think (with an exception for things like mind-control, IIRC). The boundaries are perhaps a little unclear, looking from outside, but it seems pretty consistent to me.

Personally, I'm reluctant to narrate actions (the to-hit) but more willing to narrate results (the kill), and I'd probably want to roll the Wisdom (Insight) roll myself or ask for a passive value and roll for the NPC myself (latter seems preferable as I'm writing this), and narrate the result, being willing to make the result explicit if the players around the table didn't seem to be getting to the correct conclusion (where "correct" means "consistent with the dice result).

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I was beginning to think it was only me. There's a crazy amount of this happening out there from what I can tell.
Can you give an example of what you're referring to? I want to make sure I'm not doing it.
This took me by surprise. Is this really something players dislike? What about it is objectionable, exactly?
one time in a post-apocalyptic campaign in Seattle (I forget which game we were playing) we arrived at the Space Needle where there was a small settlement and basically some rando came and welcomed us in. I thought he was weird so I tried to get a read on this guy and rolled poorly. the GM said "you think this guy is the leader of this place lol" and kept trying to interpret everything I did as if my character thought that. when I objected all I got was "he's the GM and what he says is right".

if he had said something like "you get the impression this guy runs this place" then that's different. that's information I can interpret as I imagine my character would. if my character has low wisdom or is just gullible then sure, yeah, they totally believe this weirdo gets to call the shots around here. but if my character is a lot more skeptical he might follow him around cautiously, looking for anyone who might actually have authority over him.
I totally disagree as both a player and DM. There's nothing worse than pixle bitching play, and a DM trying to get you, the player, to read their mind is the worst kind. If I am DM and I tell you that you think the orc is lying, it's because I want you to be clear about the result of your roll. I'm not taking your agency, I am enabling it by giving you the information you need to act.
I don't think that's pixel bitching? I'm not sure why you can't just say "he sounds like he's hiding something" or "he seems deceitful". if it's information the player needs to act then you as the GM can just say "the orc is lying" without the player needing to roll anything.
Similarly,flourishes of description is both part of the DM's job and part of his fun. Players tell the DM what they want to attempt and then perhaps roll some dice, then the DM tells the player what happens. That's the game.
man, the DM has an entire campaign full of characters they can describe in full paragraphs if they wanted to. I only get one character, you can at least let me describe what my own actions are like, thanks.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I totally disagree as both a player and DM. There's nothing worse than pixle bitching play, and a DM trying to get you, the player, to read their mind is the worst kind.

I think you have an awful lot of work to do to show that this is something for which I advocate or that the DM avoiding describing what the character thinks, does, or says must result in "pixel bitching play."

That's a good description of what you have a problem with. I don't think you'd have a problem with narrating a kill or maybe a crit (I find those are worth narrating, and I find I'm quicker to do it than most players are, YMMV). Social skills are .. notably problematic, especially trying to Detect Honesty.

I narrate, as that's the DM's role. I just do it without saying what the character does. Saying what the character does is the player's role. I don't think the DM should be doing what the players are supposed to be doing.

This took me by surprise. Is this really something players dislike? What about it is objectionable, exactly?

Same. I didn't see anything offensive in @iserith 's examples, as a player or as a DM.

I think a lot of players are just used to it now. I play in and observe a lot of games and it's quite ubiquitous in my experience. But not at my table. Players describe what they want to do and they are the ones who say what the character does, think, and says. Not the DM. If a DM told me what my character does, thinks, or says, we're going to have to stop and have a discussion about that.

Reynard

Legend
one time in a post-apocalyptic campaign in Seattle (I forget which game we were playing) we arrived at the Space Needle where there was a small settlement and basically some rando came and welcomed us in. I thought he was weird so I tried to get a read on this guy and rolled poorly. the GM said "you think this guy is the leader of this place lol" and kept trying to interpret everything I did as if my character thought that. when I objected all I got was "he's the GM and what he says is right".

if he had said something like "you get the impression this guy runs this place" then that's different. that's information I can interpret as I imagine my character would. if my character has low wisdom or is just gullible then sure, yeah, they totally believe this weirdo gets to call the shots around here. but if my character is a lot more skeptical he might follow him around cautiously, looking for anyone who might actually have authority over him.

I don't think that's pixel bitching? I'm not sure why you can't just say "he sounds like he's hiding something" or "he seems deceitful". if it's information the player needs to act then you as the GM can just say "the orc is lying" without the player needing to roll anything.

man, the DM has an entire campaign full of characters they can describe in full paragraphs if they wanted to. I only get one character, you can at least let me describe what my own actions are like, thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean. The players says what their character does and the GM says what happens as a result. Often there's back and forth and maybe die rolls in there.

The player doesn't say "I stab the orc in the neck!" The player says "I attack the orc using my patented Neck Stabbing Technique" then rolls to hit and applies damage. Then the GM says what happens, neck stabbing or otherwise.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I'm not sure what you mean. The players says what their character does and the GM says what happens as a result. Often there's back and forth and maybe die rolls in there.

The player doesn't say "I stab the orc in the neck!" The player says "I attack the orc using my patented Neck Stabbing Technique" then rolls to hit and applies damage. Then the GM says what happens, neck stabbing or otherwise.
OR the player rolls and hits and says "I stab the orc in the neck! blood gushes everywhere!" and the DM says "hell yeah!"

slobster

Hero
Yeah those quotes are a decent representation of how I typically GM, too. I mean I might say "he looks like he's lying" and not "he's lying" or "you think he's lying", which I think is the heart of the complaint. Some players don't want the GM telling them how their character is thinking or feeling, they feel like that is their sole decision to make.

But I also think that typically when GMs say "you think the bridge won't hold the weight of your whole party", they don't mean "I am telling you your character's opinions and you cannot decide to hold a different one", they are using natural English to mean "from what your character can observe, and what their capable of deducing, the bridge probably won't hold the weight". So it becomes a quibble about grammar primarily, and less of an actual issue in playstyle.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Yeah those quotes are a decent representation of how I typically GM, too. I mean I might say "he looks like he's lying" and not "he's lying" or "you think he's lying", which I think is the heart of the complaint. Some players don't want the GM telling them how their character is thinking or feeling, they feel like that is their sole decision to make.

But I also think that typically when GMs say "you think the bridge won't hold the weight of your whole party", they don't mean "I am telling you your character's opinions and you cannot decide to hold a different one", they are using natural English to mean "from what your character can observe, and what their capable of deducing, the bridge probably won't hold the weight". So it becomes a quibble about grammar primarily, and less of an actual issue in playstyle.

In some cases that may be true. In other cases no so much. It can be a clever little trick for the DM to frame things in terms of "you think" and "you believe" so as to set up a situation where there is an expectation that what follows from the player will be in line with what was just established in this regard or else is just looks weird. Players that don't want to look weird in front of others will go along with it. I see this a lot in games I play in and observe, particularly among DMs who have a plot they need the PCs to stay on.

Whether shorthand or a DM trick, this is best avoided altogether in my view by letting players determine what their characters think, say, and do. There's also rules support for exactly that, so I see no downside.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases