D&D General What makes a good DM good?

Oofta

Legend
My top 10 list
  1. Reads and understands the group and adjusts the game to suit.
  2. Plays to their strengths. Good at accents? Go for it. Every accent sounds like an annoyed Elmer Fudd? Maybe try something else.
  3. Varies the pace and types of encounters and sessions.
  4. Improvises when needed. No plan survives an encounter with the players.
  5. Gives the players meaningful choices.
  6. Doesn't force the "correct" way to play on their players, accepts that some people enjoy different aspects of the game.
  7. Know when to look up a rule and when to just make a ruling and move on. Try to be consistent in how you make decisions but don't bring a scene to a screeching halt for flipping through pages of the book.
  8. Understands the difference between setting the scene and boring monologues. Describe enough to give an accurate picture, don't go into details describing the sword above the mantle unless it matters.
  9. Understands the campaign world and is consistent on how they describe it.
  10. Is always willing to learn and improve.

practicalm

Explorer
What I think makes a good GM is
Someone who knows how to keep both the story and the game moving. Where players want to know what happens next.
Someone who allows players their space to help make the game interesting which requires trust between the GM and the players
Someone who is willing to do the prep work but also willing to throw it all out if something more interesting happens instead.

Reynard

Legend
Just off the top of my head, here are a few reasons

1. Ensures, at all cost, the players do not derail the adventure which would minimise her preparation efforts.
2. Rolls behind the screen thus allowing her the freedom to use GM Force on die results to make stories better.
3. Ignores characters' backgrounds given that RPGing is not about playing to discover the players' notes.

But most importantly, knows and reminds the participants often that she is the most important person at the table.
I am sad to say that in this day and age of just bonkers opinions floating around the internet, it took me three solid reads to discover the satire.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I am sad to say that in this day and age of just bonkers opinions floating around the internet, it took me three solid reads to discover the satire.

Oh dear gawds I hope it was satire.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Always prepared. A good DM comes into each game with enough material to fill a whole session.
This isn't universally true imx. I've had one very good GM who did about 5 mins prep or less for each session. However it does apply to me. I'm not a great improv GM and I need to do hours of prep.

Reynard

Legend
This isn't universally true imx. I've had one very good GM who did about 5 mins prep or less for each session. However it does apply to me. I'm not a great improv GM and I need to do hours of prep.
It is still true, though, whether your session-filling prep is 8 hours of work of 5 minutes of thinking about it in the car on the way over. I think the point was simply: don't come unable to fill the session with game (whatever that means for you).

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
probably the biggest thing for me is addressing the wants of players and what they want to do. within reason, of course (don't @ me), certain things are just flat out impossible or inappropriate, but something like "I want to make a sword" should be met with some sort of criteria to make one, not "no that's not allowed".
Doesn't tell the players what their characters think, do, or say, including when narrating the effect of their actions.
oh god, this is a huge pet peeve of mine, esp. re: mental/social skills.
Pacing
Adjudication
Improvisation
Enthusiasm
Narration
Exposition
Game Design
Interpersonal skills
Leadership
oh right, duh, how could I forget about PAIENEGIL? it's right there in the first edition DMG even.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases