• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Makes an Orc an Orc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGibster

Legend
To me this shows how effective the language and imagery around orcs have been. Orcs are the archetype of the bestial savage that is going to invade our country and rape our women. The bogeyman that has been invoked for centuries...millennia?...by those who want to vilify another people for political or economic ends.

Throughout history and across cultures there have been raiders coming in to do a little raping, burning, and pillaging so sometimes it's not an attempt to vilify the other group it's just the truth. Imagine yourself in a quaint Irish village when some vikings show up and kill your brother, cart off your sister, and take the valuables from the local church. We know there's more to our friends the Norse than that, but what would your opinion be if you were victim to one of their raids?

Yup, no more half-orcs in my games. I might eventually re-visit the theme, but for now easiest to remove them. It's just too....icky.

Understandable. As they were originally written, orcs were outsiders in human society because their origins were usually fairly unpleasant. At the very least, the half-orc's presence would remind everyone in the area of the time those orcs came and killed their friends. But I'm not really keen on bringing these kinds of serious and unpleasant things into my cheesy fantasy game.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
Or there are two worldviews at play. One finds those things to be racist and the other doesn’t. Can I disagree with others worldviews without discounting their feelings? And if so what does that look like?

I don't disagree that there are two world views at play. I do think to disagree in good faith we should acknowledge that we do not and cannot have the lived experience of another person, and that when people have a certain lived experience we do not and cannot have we should start by acknowledging their feelings and think through why they feel this way about a concept in a game we are all trying to play for fun.

I'd start by listening to people who are upset and supporting more changes behind the scenes so things don't go stale by ideas being limited to the same groups that have held power in the past.

Chaosmancer

Legend
We can’t have a conversation when you are being dismissive to the alternate position - “paper mask”

How else should we describe it? The position is that it cannot be offensive because it is a make-believe race and therefore it can't represent humans.

Or that it is fine to dehumanize orcs, because they aren't human anyways.

But both positions miss the point that this is the problem, not the solution. Saying "orcs aren't human, so we can dehumanize them" is the same exact logic that went into "X aren't really human, so it we don't need to treat them as human" that has plagued our world for centuries. And during those centuries, people used caricature and fiction to further drive the point home. Using make-believe to drive wedges by depicting certain traits, which just so happened to always fall onto minority or enemy people, by coincidence we swear, as traits of monsters, or comic relief.

Honestly, "it is a fictional story" has never been a defense that has any sort of strength behind it for any number of problematic depictions. Why should we accept it here?

Many people claim orcs are PoC. You're claiming they're indigenous people. Then you wonder why people have a problem pinpointing what the real problem is? Because if we have a monster that has any correlation to humans, it seems like some people have issues with any negative language being used. Then you go on to criticize a style of play which is only tangentially related because you are the arbiter of what is acceptable and not.

So that's the problem. People keep saying "it's been a problem for a long time" and "look at Tolkien's letter written in the middle of the 20th century" followed by a lot of things that are not in the current edition. Oh, and point to articles that associate orcs to whatever "other" people are being demonized at that point in time.

If we always pull in historical references and don't limit the argument to the current version of the game , I see no solution. The only option seems to be effectively eliminating orcs from the game.

Okay, let's do this I suppose.

Current Version of the game, direct quotes from MM, PHB and Volo's.

"Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and piggish faces with prominent lower canines that resemble tusks. " - Problem

"Tribes like Plagues. Orcs gather in tribes that exert their dominance and satisfy their bloodlust by plundering villages, devouring or driving
off roaming herds, and slaying any humanoids that stand against them. After savaging a settlement, orcs pick it clean of wealth and items usable in their own lands. They set the remains of villages and camps ablaze, then retreat whence they came, their bloodlust satisfied. " - Problem

"Their lust for slaughter demands that orcs dwell always within striking distance of new targets. As such, they seldom settle permanently, instead converting ruins, cavern complexes, and defeated foes’ villages into fortified camps and strongholds. Orcs build only for defense, making no innovation or improvement to their lairs beyond mounting the severed body parts of their victims on spiked stockade walls or pikes jutting up from moats and trenches. "- Problem

"Orc Crossbreeds. Luthic, the orc goddess of fertility and wife of Gruumsh, demands that orcs procreate often and indiscriminately so that orc hordes swell generation after generation. The orcs’ drive to reproduce runs stronger than any other humanoid race, and they readily crossbreed with other races. When an orc procreates with a non-orc humanoid of similar size and stature (such as a human or a dwarf), the resulting child is either an orc or a half-orc. When an orc produces young with an ogre, the child is a half-ogre of intimidating strength and brutish features called an ogrillon. "- Problem

"orc and human tribes sometimes form alliances, joining forces into a larger horde to the terror of civilized lands nearby. "- Problem

"Some half-orcs rise to become proud chiefs of orc tribes, their human blood giving them an edge over their full-blooded orc rivals. "- Problem

"and notoriety for their barbaric customs and savage fury. "- Problem

"Half-orcs’ grayish pigmentation, sloping foreheads, jutting jaws, prominent teeth, and towering builds make their orcish heritage plain for all to see. "- Problem

"Other scars, though, mark an orc or half-orc as a former slave or a disgraced exile "- Problem

"The same is true of half-orcs, though their human blood moderates the impact of their orcish heritage "- Problem

"Others feel Gruumsh’s exultation when they join in melee combat — and either exult along with him or shiver with fear and loathing. Half-orcs are not evil by nature, but evil does lurk within them, whether they embrace it or rebel against it. "- Problem

"The most accomplished half-orcs are those with enough self-control to get by in a civilized land. "- Problem

"Whether proving themselves among rough barbarian tribes or scrabbling to survive in the slums of larger cities, half-orcs get by on their physical might, their endurance, and the sheer determination they inherit from their human ancestry. "- Problem

"To feel the thunder of orcish war drums outside the gate and to hear a chorus of voices growling, “Gruumsh!” is the nightmare of every civilized place in the world. "- Problem

"Savage and fearless, orc tribes are ever in search of elves, dwarves, and humans to destroy. Motivated by their hatred of the civilized races of the world "- Problem

"This deep-seated uncertainty and fear comes forth in the form of savagery and relentlessness, as orcs ravage and kill to appease the gods in order to avoid their terrible retribution. "- Problem

"Orcs are naturally chaotic and unorganized, acting on their emotions and instincts rather than out of reason and logic. "- Problem

"Despite the influence of Ilneval, orcs are and will forever be brutal and feral in how they wage war. "- Problem

"By invoking the power of superstitions, omens, and traditions, these claws of Luthic hold the tribe together through ritual, fear and, if necessary, force. "- Problem

"Orcs survive through savagery and force of numbers. Theirs is a life that has no place for weakness, and every warrior must be strong enough to take what is needed by force. Orcs aren’t interested in treaties, trade negotiations or diplomacy. They care only for satisfying their insatiable desire for battle, to smash their foes and appease their gods. " - Problem

"In order to replenish the casualties of their endless warring, orcs breed prodigiously (and they aren’t choosy about what they breed with, which is why such creatures as half-orcs and ogrillons are found in the world). "- Problem

"Orcs don’t take mates, and no pair-bonding occurs in a tribe other than at the moment when coupling takes place. "- Problem

"Orcs pillage and scavenge wherever they go "- Problem

"Since orcs are poor crafters, most of their wagons are stolen from human or dwarven strongholds, "- Problem

"The result is an orc horde — a sea of slavering killers that washes over the countryside and leaves vast tracts of devastation in its wake. "- Problem

"As a race, orcs have no noteworthy universal social traits, but some commonality does exist in the crude written communication that all orcs employ and in the way that they use pigments to decorate and distinguish themselves and their lairs. "- Problem

"Orcs believe that any seemingly unimportant discovery or event — a bear’s claw marks on a tree, a flock of crows, or a sudden gust of wind — might be a communication from the gods. "- Problem

"they aren’t a literate culture and rarely keep records or write down their thoughts. When orcs need to communicate in writing, they use crude symbols to convey basic information, "- Problem

"it’s possible that an orc, if raised outside its culture, could develop a limited capacity for empathy, love, and compassion. No matter how domesticated an orc might seem, its blood lust flows just beneath the surface. With its instinctive love of battle and its desire to prove its strength, an orc trying to live within the confines of civilization is faced with a difficult task."- Problem

"Orc Flaws: I have a calm temperament and let insults roll off my back. , I don’t fear the gods and have no patience for superstitions, I understand the value of civilization and the order that society brings , I believe in living to fight another day" - Problem

"The lore of humans depicts orcs as rapacious fiends, intent on coupling with other humanoids to spread their seed far and wide. "- Problem

"A half-orc in an orc tribe is often just as strong as a full-blooded orc and also displays superior cunning. "- Problem

"Orcs are consummate raiders. When they attack and overwhelm, they claim as booty anything of value that they can carry — and an orc’s definition of “value” can be very loose indeed. "- Problem

TL;DR?

Orcs are savage, bestial, stupid and superstitious. They are uncultured, poor makers of things, illiterate and sexually voracious. They are violent and lustful no matter how they may appear. Half-Orcs, by tempering their orc parts with superior human intellect and control, can be leaders in an orc tribe, but their savage and brutal nature relegates them to the slums of human society.

And that is all 5e.

And to add to it? I cannot think off the top of my head, a single "tribal" race that is not seen as wild or evil, usually both.

Throughout history and across cultures there have been raiders coming in to do a little raping, burning, and pillaging so sometimes it's not an attempt to vilify the other group it's just the truth. Imagine yourself in a quaint Irish village when some vikings show up and kill your brother, cart off your sister, and take the valuables from the local church. We know there's more to our friends the Norse than that, but what would your opinion be if you were victim to one of their raids?
Right, and that's the point. There are more to the Vikings. They were not just some 'Chaotic Evil' raiders that worshipped dark gods. They were people who did good things, bad things, silly things. That's all that is asked for the Orks, to be people, not caricatures.

Remathilis

Legend
Hell, this thread hasn't touched yet on dwarves and antisemitism. As an Ashkenazi Jewish person, when I tell you the presentation of dwarves across fantasy is rooted in notions of specific antisemitism and people argue it's an overreaction, then what is happening is that they are saying they care less about driving people like me out of the hobby than considering how things that aren't directly relevant to them are worth interrogating.

First, I'd like to politely ask if you have any further info on this specific link? I mean, I guess the gold-lust/greedy jew element might be there, but most dwarves are viewed as a warrior race, miners and smiths, and drunks with Scottish accents, which I don't see the connection with. It's not that I don't believe you, I just want more info.

That said, you have proven my point that people were claiming I was over-reacting to: it's not just orcs. Its EVERY race. Every race is, at a certain point, an exaggeration of some human culture or trope mixed with a human with a rubber forehead. Dwarves, elves, halflings, orcs, goblins, drow, all of them. You can't remove these links without utterly removing them (or what makes them different from humans). The rabbit hole is far deeper than anyone wants to admit.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Eberron does have a decent justification for half-orcs and their dragonmarked house—consensual blending of human settlers and orcs in the Shadow Marches with half-orcs representing a unity between the two. I'm sure that's still problematic in how it presents orcs as being unable to have the dragonmark of finding unlike half-orcs and humans (likely a function of orcs not being a core race in 3.5E), but there's no reason to keep it that way going forward.

And half-orcs are fine... as long as Orcs are people.

Eberron Orcs are a great example of doing orcs well, with none of this alpha predator syndrome and other problems.

But if orcs are monsters....

G

Guest 6801328

Yes, all of us have ancestors who raped and pillaged, and were also the victims of it.

But what we are talking about is the intentional portrayal of some peoples as being more predisposed to doing this, in order to promote an image of those people as sub-human monsters deserving of death. (Probably either to harden their own people for the coming battle, or to identify a common enemy for political reasons, or both.)

I'm sure...literally 100.0% sure...that in Alfred the Great's era the Danish invaders were portrayed as especially likely to rape, even though in reality the A-S were just as likely to do it. Why am I sure? Because that image of vikings has persisted for 1,000 years. The difference (to the A-S) was, of course, that they were merely raping sub-human Danish animals, so it wasn't as bad.

So, yes, rape between enemy peoples has been common throughout history. But here's the question, that I'm only asking you to think about, not answer: how often do you envision Half-elves as being the product of rape, versus Half-orcs? If it's not approximately equal, then you have fallen for a variant of racist propaganda that exactly mirrors the propaganda used in the real world, historically and present day, to dehumanize others.

G

Guest 6801328

then what is happening is that they are saying they care less about driving people like me out of the hobby than considering how things that aren't directly relevant to them are worth interrogating.

Well said. The orcs-and-PoC thing is getting the most attention, but this is the heart of what drives me completely f$%#ing insane about these discussions, and the doggedly simplistic pushback we keep getting.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
First, I'd like to politely ask if you have any further info on this specific link? I mean, I guess the gold-lust/greedy jew element might be there, but most dwarves are viewed as a warrior race, miners and smiths, and drunks with Scottish accents, which I don't see the connection with. It's not that I don't believe you, I just want more info.

That said, you have proven my point that people were claiming I was over-reacting to: it's not just orcs. Its EVERY race. Every race is, at a certain point, an exaggeration of some human culture or trope mixed with a human with a rubber forehead. Dwarves, elves, halflings, orcs, goblins, drow, all of them. You can't remove these links without utterly removing them (or what makes them different from humans). The rabbit hole is far deeper than anyone wants to admit.

One way to mitigate having fantasy races being limited to caricatured stereotypes of real people and cultures is to diversify people making the game behind the scenes to avoid causing harm to those very people.

As to anti-Semitism, I'm not going to get too far into this but most obviously from Tolkien,
  • Tolkien also elaborated on Jewish influence on his Dwarves in a letter: "I do think of the 'Dwarves' like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue..."[T 3]
There are many other examples starting from this representation in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Dwarf (Middle-earth) - Wikipedia
  • Tolkien was now influenced by his own selective reading of medieval texts regarding the Jewish people and their history.[6] The dwarves' characteristics of being dispossessed of their homeland (the Lonely Mountain, their ancestral home, is the goal the exiled Dwarves seek to reclaim), and living among other groups whilst retaining their own culture are all derived from the medieval image of Jews,[6][7] whilst their warlike nature stems from accounts in the Hebrew Bible.[6]
  • The Dwarves' written language is represented on maps and in illustrations by Anglo-Saxon Runes. The Dwarf calendar invented for The Hobbit reflects the Jewish calendar in beginning in late autumn.[6] The dwarves taking Bilbo out of his complacent existence has been seen as an eloquent metaphor for the "impoverishment of Western society without Jews".[7]
  • When writing The Lord of the Rings Tolkien continued many of the themes he had set up in The Hobbit. When giving Dwarves their own language (Khuzdul) Tolkien decided to create an analogue of a Semitic language influenced by Hebrew phonology. Like medieval Jewish groups, the Dwarves use their own language only amongst themselves, and adopted the languages of those they live amongst for the most part, for example taking public names from the cultures they lived within, whilst keeping their "true-names" and true language a secret.[11]
  • In The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien uses the main dwarf character Gimli to finally reconcile the conflict between Elves and Dwarves through showing great courtesy to Galadriel and forming a deep friendship with Legolas, which has been seen as Tolkien's reply toward "Gentile anti-Semitism and Jewish exclusiveness".[7]

G

Guest 6801328

Possibly, but in this hypothetical scenario I would replace those bonuses with something else. I'm not sure what that is yet as I am not really interested in doing a redesign. Personally I am fine with most of the distinction between races being fluff / lore and not mechanical.

Yes. As I and others have suggested many times, a specific and unique mechanic that represented "strong" or "nimble" or whatever would be a much better way of conveying a race's advantages, than would a boringly simplistic + to a starting ability score, an advantage that would eventually get blurred or erased by ASIs anyway.

The tricky part...tricky, not impossible...is to make it an advantage that has minimal symmetry with certain classes, or with the stat itself.

So, for example, giving a "strong" race increased carrying capacity (regardless of whether that's useful or just a ribbon) is useful for any class.

For "nimble", how about a straight +1 bonus to Initiative rolls?

For "smart", something involving Perception (which is the super-skill, after all)

Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads