• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

• 3D6 Per Ability.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Per Ability

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Free Assign (Core Rules)

Votes: 82 43.4%
  • Base + Sliding Scale

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • Base + Non-Sliding Scale

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 55 29.1%

• Poll closed .

DmQ

First Post
I can think of a few…

3D6 Per Ability.
No leeway in score variation. Extremely Limited customizability. Closest to reality.
(Ex: Rolling for each ability individually, 3d6 hard core.)

4d6 –Lowest; Per Ability
No leeway in score variation. Extremely Limited customizability. Closer to reality.
(Ex: Rolling for each ability individually, 4d6 not counting lowest die roll)

4d6 –Lowest; Free Assign (Core Rules)
Little leeway in score variation. Limited customizability.
(Ex: Rolling a set of 6 numbers, 4d6 not counting lowest die roll, and assigning them freely)

Base + Sliding Scale
Good leeway in score variation. Medium customizability.
(Ex: 10 in all abilities and 24 Points to assign; -1/-7 are +1:1; +1/+3 are -1:1; +4/+6 -2:1; +7/+8 -3:1)
(an 18 would cost 13 points!)

Base + Non-Sliding Scale
Highest leeway in score variation. Highest customizability.
(Ex: 3 in all abilities and ~60 Points to assign; 1:1)
(an 18 Cost 15 Points)

Other

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
As a DM I prefer 32 point buy, but my players insist on rolling, so we go with the core rules option; though somehow the reroll 1s meme got stuck in their heads even though I never actually said that. It was probably a house rule in one of our games in years past that somehow stuck around.

Last edited:

d4

First Post
point-buy as per DMG. 18 costs 16 points.

i've always done 32 points in the past, but i think the next time i run a campaign it'll be in the 36-40 range.

Ferret

Explorer
Nifft said:
Uh, like in the DMG... sorry, didn't play that one.

-- N

AFAIK Baldurs Gate (II) uses either 3d6 or 4d6 take lowest, and you can take the points down to the racial limts and you can rearande them as you like.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
We use Std 4d6-lowest but roll seven times and drop the lowest score as well, then assign freely.

That way a particularly nasty low roll is eliminated for an average-above average set or someone who was having a particularly bad string of luck doesn't make off too badly. On top of this total score mods of less than +5 are auto re-rolls and with any roll of +5 or above a player may opt to re-roll but must take whatever they roll regardless of how bad it may be. It's a bit more sophisticated but we almost never see really bad rolls as a result and the majority are above average for a group of would-be-heroes.

We tried point-buy (which I really like in-theory) but after 3 guys built the same exact stat line, I threw it out and over time we put together what we roll now.

Remove ads