• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

• 3D6 Per Ability.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Per Ability

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Free Assign (Core Rules)

Votes: 82 43.4%
  • Base + Sliding Scale

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • Base + Non-Sliding Scale

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 55 29.1%

• Poll closed .

Berandor

lunatic
Other

We draw cards. There are 18 playing cards: 1x1 (Ace), 1x2, 3x3, 4x4, 4x5, 4x6, 1x Joker. The players draw 6 sets with 3 cards each and add the values; the Jokes doubles the value of the highest card.
Aftwards, the players can add two cards to one or more of their scores, another 1 and another 2, with a maximum of 18 before racial adjustments. Assign as wanted.

After I had some very unbalancing rolls imc (very good and very bad together), I wanted to have a close range of scores, but keep the element of chance (I don't like point buy). I read about a card-drawing-system and changed it to suit my preferences.

Last edited:

sledged

First Post
4d6 –Lowest; Free Assign (Core Rules)
I use this one, and rerolls are only allowed if a) highest stat is 13 or less or b) ability modifiers add up to be less than +5.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Standard 4d6DL.

In a PbP game, I used another method I found on this site.
28 PB and then roll 3d6 per attribute and if higher take that instead.
Of course, the players didn't know how exactly this would be done when assigning their PB stats. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Crothian

First Post
I let the players pick their ability scores. No rolling, no cards, no point buy...they decide what attributes their character should have.

Wombat

First Post
Roll 21d6

Drop the three lowest

Take the remaining 18 dice and divide them into triplets; assign to stats as desired

It's sort of a compromise between rolling purely randomly and buying stats :)

Berandor

lunatic
Crothian said:
I let the players pick their ability scores. No rolling, no cards, no point buy...they decide what attributes their character should have.
Wow. That is *evil*. Yes, evil. I mean, you are automatically burdening your players' conscience.
"Shall I take an 18 on my casting stat? And perhaps a 14 in Dexterity? Or is that too much. Strength 7? Nah, that's cliché and doesn't hamper me, anyway. 7 Wisdom. Yeah, I guess."

Seriously, I couldn't make characters with that system. I'd be so anxious not to overpower my character I could think of little else :)

Galethorn

First Post
Choose one of 3 35-point arrays;

18, 15, 13, 12, 10, 8

17, 16, 15, 12, 10, 8

15, 15, 14, 14, 12, 11

Distribute as you see fit. So far, all but three group members have used #2, and the remaining three used #3.

Last edited:

EvilGM

Explorer
Roll 4d6 for each ability score in order (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma), total the three highest die

Reroll if: no scores are 15+ OR three scores are 9 or less

Add one bonus: switch any one score for another OR lowest score becomes 9 OR add one to any score

Ourph

First Post
When I'm running we play iron-man D&D, 3d6 in order - build your character around your stats (not vice versa).

If I'm feeling like we want a little more customizability (small group for instance) we use 3d6 in order, switch any one ability with another.

My 3.5 group used 40pt buy. I felt like I was cheating the whole time I was making up my character. :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads